Amusing DC/Xbox360 comparison

Oerwinde

I hate to say that, but consoles are taking over. At any game shop where I live the ratio of console games to computer games offered is roughly about 3:1 if not more.

Um, em, gee.

3 consoles to 1 PC.

3:1?

I don't know about you guys, but the EBGames I go to has about half the titles for PC that they do for Xbox, on the little horizontally displayed racks with the new releases, but then they have about ten times the old games in stock, placed vertically like books, all up and down the back wall.

It is pretty much the same for the Gamecube games, with a somewhat larger selection of PS2 games.

Handhelds are all on their own little wall near the entrance, as are new realeases.

Somebody must be buying all the 'not quite as new' games.

The one I usually go to (rarely because most of the stuff I get online now) has one wall (opposite the counter) of PS2 games, the far wall is shared by Xbox and GC games, just around from that is the PC section which is about the size of a two bookcases and the handheld section (about the same space, but the boxes are smaller so more in it).

Just as you come in , is the new releases on stands. And across from that all the used console games for sale in baskets.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I hate to say that, but consoles are taking over. At any game shop where I live the ratio of console games to computer games offered is roughly about 3:1 if not more.

Um, em, gee.

3 consoles to 1 PC.

3:1?

I don't know about you guys, but the EBGames I go to has about half the titles for PC that they do for Xbox, on the little horizontally displayed racks with the new releases, but then they have about ten times the old games in stock, placed vertically like books, all up and down the back wall.

It is pretty much the same for the Gamecube games, with a somewhat larger selection of PS2 games.

Handhelds are all on their own little wall near the entrance, as are new realeases.

Somebody must be buying all the 'not quite as new' games.

The EB I usually go to the ratio is far greater... for actual store area used I'd say maybe 6:1 console to PC game ratio.

Consoles just move faster and in greater quantities.

I'm surprised that you can't play Xbox games on the PC. Don't they use basically the same OS? Because I wanna play JE but its not worth buying an Xbox for one game.

Oh, they tried, they tried.

Remember Deus Ex: Invisible War?

It had the exact same coding for Xbox and PC; but while this caused a great game for X-Box standerds, it was crap for PC standerds, and also gave loads of framerate issues for many PC users due to crappy X-Box optimisation...

I mean like with an emulator. Stick the Xbox disc in your drive and play it on the PC.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I'm surprised that you can't play Xbox games on the PC. Don't they use basically the same OS? Because I wanna play JE but its not worth buying an Xbox for one game.

It had the exact same coding for Xbox and PC; but while this caused a great game for X-Box standerds, it was crap for PC standerds, and also gave loads of framerate issues for many PC users due to crappy X-Box optimisation...

I mean like with an emulator. Stick the Xbox disc in your drive and play it on the PC.

I would suspect that the code is not robust enough to worry about variable CPU speeds, memory, video card, etc.

Actually no, it was crap by Xbox standards also. I used to think the Xbox limited the level sizes, but according to comments made by people messing about with the Thief 3 editor, it seems the Flesh Engine (Ion Storm's modified Unreal Engine) simply can't handle levels of a certain size. Even if they worked only on a PC version, the crappy engine and lame design issues would have left us with an inferior game.

I'm still a fan of the Gravis/PS2 style controller with the 4 shoulder buttons and the 4 thumb buttons, d-pad, and start/select button.

I loved my old Gravis, and the only reason I don't still use it is because it's lacking in the dual-analog.

I couldn't find any and have a Saitek right now, but my best friend said he found a PS2 style controller at the local Staples so I'll probably snag myself one.

The Saitek has 6 buttons with the right thumb, and it gets a bit difficult to pull off button combos when I have to bring my right index finger into the fray as well >_<

I would suspect that the code is not robust enough to worry about variable CPU speeds, memory, video card, etc.

Hence the emulator. I mean SNES, NES, Genesis, PSX, etc. games weren't even programmed for a Windows-type OS, yet you can play them on your PC with an emulator. You'd think that a game programmed for a simplified windows OS would be easier to program a windows based emulator for.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If they wanted to make an emulator, then probably. I thought you were talking about just putting the disc in.

But it's all just assumptions. I'm not familiar with the OS of the XBOX, nor the concerns as to why they wouldn't allow for emulation on a PC.

Mkreku argument over piracy is rather false.

Piracy is the same, the diference was that years ago there was no mass distribution in place (the internet), THAT is what changed.

You could always get a pirate copy, the diference is you had to go out and buy it as now you simply download it and then burn a copy.

I owned a ZX Spectrum that read magnetic tapes so I could easy get a game and use a normal tape recorder to copy the game.

What happens these days is that piracy is more visible but its not hurting anyone besides the people that profited from the paralel market with selling pirated copies since now people can get then from free.

drakron.png

Ehm...

How about the

Designers

Producers

Stores

Etc.

Since you had to seek more previously there were more who would not take that effort and just bought it...

Now they do not, since they can DL it; after that complaining to everybody they know about the game because their version was messed up or it didn't work that well since a nice virus/load of spyware was included, and after that they won't buy the "good" copy in the store or other games from the developer...

(It appears alot of DL'ers are offended by the lack of Dev. Support for their H4Xed game... quite logical ofcourse

*sigh* the idiots)

People that like a game will likely buy it.

People that download a game are likely not going to buy it in thr first place.

You want a example?

I downloaded The Sims, I liked it so much I brought the game and all the expansions, I also got the Sims 2 when it come out and all its expansions.

drakron.png

You want a example?

I downloaded The Sims, I liked it so much I brought the game and all the expansions, I also got the Sims 2 when it come out and all its expansions.

Not so , if the choice is between buying and not buying , then people will generally buy.

This is simple enough to verify by examining the rental market, since your theory is that piracy is some sort of rental scheme.

Ok i'll counter that with an example of my own (based on rentals not priracy) I've rented a heck of a lot of games from blockbusters (since I have three machines , four now if you count the PSP rentals).

Out of all those rentals I would have bought about 60% (rather than miss them completely). Latest example , Spartan If it had been there for rental I would have rented and probably finished it over the three days, it wasnt so I went out and bought it.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

You cannot rent PC games, in fact most PC games stop offering demos.

You can rent console games but that is like renting movies, its not a demo and there are console game demos.

Also you end up backing me up because there are NO PC GAME RENTAL (not a legal one anyway).

drakron.png

You want a example?

Hooray for anecdotes!

Also you end up backing me up because there are NO PC GAME RENTAL (not a legal one anyway).

No I'm not backing you.

Your left with the same choice I'm left with when something dosnt appear on the rental list.

1. Buy it and play it.

2. Don't buy and don't play it.

Those are the only choices I offer my support to.

478327[/snapback]