Amusing DC/Xbox360 comparison

Oerwinde

Itll probably be just like before, the PS people will buy PS and the Xbox people will buy 360.

While us decent PC-using folks get game after game stolen from us with evil console exclusive marketing schemes :(

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Then get a console and join in the fun :(

For the record, as PC tech improves new emulators are being made that can play those old console games.

In fact I think with the right PC you can play Playstation games flawlessly.

In a few years you'll probably be able to do the same with PS2/GC and Hexbox games as well.

I dont want to play old, crappy games... I want to play the RPGs OE and BioWare will be making for the 360

Hmm, maybe MS will agree to sponsor our sweet and flashy game dev Uni with a few units :(

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I'm surprised that you can't play Xbox games on the PC. Don't they use basically the same OS? Because I wanna play JE but its not worth buying an Xbox for one game.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

If I made consoles Id see to it that youcould play the games on PC too, that way you can sell the exact same game to both the Comps&COnsolers and bring in the big $$$

But thus far, noone has even considered making a cross-platform console.

Probably patching issues.... which I think is the main reason companies are focusing more on consoles.

With consoles you don't have to patch your games... and patches cost time and money... plus the grief of irate players bitching and moaning about things not working to the level of their expectations.

Consoles are probably cheaper, and less stressful.

If I made consoles Id see to it that youcould play the games on PC too, that way you can sell the exact same game to both the Comps&COnsolers and bring in the big $$$

But thus far, noone has even considered making a cross-platform console.

Whiner ;) just get a console.

But seriously what are PC games sales as a %age of the whole market? I'm theorising it aint much compared to that of console but i need stats to confirm. If true then not surprising that PC gamers get the short end of the stick.

As for a cross platform console, the manufacturers would like their version to be the industry standard i doubt they would agree on a unified approach.

Whiner :- just get a console.

But seriously what are PC games sales as a %age of the whole market? I'm theorising it aint much compared to that of console but i need stats to confirm.

Consoles are killing gaming, I refuse to purchase one.

The PC game market is still dominating and it actually shows no signs of dying out if you are to believe our lecturers(I study game design at a really flashy Uni) I have heard that the PC version counted for 60% of K2 sales although that wasnt reliable information.

The gaming industry is bigger than ever in the history of gaming, thanks to (mostly) consoles. Whether you like it or not, piracy is killing the game industry. The fact that it's much harder to copy games on consoles probably made the industry what it is today: prospering.

The only thing consoles might be guilty of killing is game complexity.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

The gaming industry is bigger than ever in the history of gaming, thanks to (mostly) consoles.

Whether you like it or not, piracy is killing the game industry.

:-

Piracy on consoles was prolly at a peak during this generation of gamings.

If the industry is doing better than ever before........

not that piracy is helping, but seems to me that the logic isn't there.

You pulled a Jack Thompson

Edited by kumquatq3

The only thing consoles might be guilty of killing is game complexity.

And that is pretty much my point. The "box" for what you can do both technicly and designwise with console games varies from claustraophobic(Nintendo DS) to limiting(360). I dont like the idea of graduating from Game Dev University to make "timewasters" for the next-next generation of handhelds. I want to make real games for real hardware.

And the game industry is bigger today because of the fact that more people play computer games, nothing else. Consoles used to completely dominate the market in the late 70's and 80s but the market was still smaller. Piracy was impossible or for a small elite and still the market was smaller.

Piracy on consoles was prolly at a peak during this generation of gamings.

If the industry is doing better than ever before........

not that piracy is helping, but seems to me that the logic isn't there.

You pulled a Jack Thompson

Yup. Piracy on consoles were (are?) at their peak during this generation.

Yup. The gaming industry is blooming like never before.

These two facts, however, are not mutually exclusive. Back when consoles arrived, the games came on cartridges. Those were near impossible to copy. After that there were CD's and DVD's. Naturally the piracy is going to be higher with easily copyable media than with cartridges. That still doesn't mean that piracy is running rampant on consoles, like it is on the PC. To be able to play pirated games on consoles, you need to invest time and money in a modchip. That's quite a difference from clicking ONCE on a torrent, go to sleep and have a fully playable game on any normal PC by the time you wake up the next morning.

Maybe I pulled a Jack Thompson, but you pulled a George 'Dubyah' Bush.

To be able to play pirated games on consoles, you need to invest time and money in a modchip.

about $50-$60

the price of one game

That's quite a difference from clicking ONCE on a torrent, go to sleep and have a fully playable game on any normal PC by the time you wake up the next morning.

Yep, but thats also how you get console games. Then you burn them onto a disc.

Anyways you didn't say PC. You said "game industry".

So if gaming is doing better than ever before, how is piracy "killing" it?

Just pointing out the leap there. Piracy isn't helping anything, but I don't agree with your statement.

And the game industry is bigger today because of the fact that more people play computer games, nothing else.

Uh.. the industry is bigger because more people play games? Isn't that like saying a rich man is richer because he has more money? The question is why the gaming industry is bigger now than ever before. I believe it is because of the avaiiability that console gaming brings. Which brings me to my other point as availability seems to rule out complexity. That's what I usually refer to as dumbified games.

As for the other replies in this thread: I'm sorry if I'm not being 100% clear, as I am used to carrying normal conversations with normal people who are able to 'fill in the blanks' when I don't write things on their noses. Semantics does not interest me.