360 games even more expensive than Xbox ones

This is the reason we had the discussion about the next generation consoles: are they really worth upgrading your console for $300-400 and then start buying games for $50 instead of $40? There should be something else than graphical improvements in the games for it to be worth it, which is where we're disagreeing. Epiphany is saying that multi-core CPU's and the Xenos (GPU) are groundbreaking, while (basically) the rest of the boards says they're not.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If all that is upgraded are the graphics of the next gen games, then most certainly not.

If all that supposed "power" allows them to make deeper games with solid game systems... then yeah.

Sadly I figure it'll just lead to "prettier" games only. <_<

The Playstation 2 debuted at 1000$NZ over here. (New Zealand) That is about 700 US dollars, or more.

The standard pricing for PC games is 100$ (70US), and 120-130$ (85-90US) for current generation console games.

Sad. :huh:

Yikes :)

That means the games are even more expensive than they would be in US dollars right?  :wub:

That sucks... the cost of games should match the economy of the nation they're released in.  <_<

Not necessarily. For instance, Indigo Prophesy is listed at $39.99 on EB games' website (US dollars). I got mine for $44.99 Canadian. With the exchange rate, that'd be like $30 US.

Actually, it works out to about $38. The exchange rate isn't as bad as it was before. I remember a few years ago when it was rare to find games under $70.

Edited by Oerwinde
The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

350... a week?

350 a month. :lol:

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

These prices are disgusting..... We have similar prices in the third world with only a fraction of the income of rich countries.

But then again video games aren't a necessity good, they're a luxury good. Thus it isn't "disgusting" that game companies try to make money off an item that isn't needed to survive.

Is it "disgusting" that Ferraris and Porches cost so much? Not really, because they're a luxury item that are only bought by those who have the means to do so.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

...also i don't think these are marketd in third world countries.

Anyway as i have stated before (long ago) these games prices are nominally similar to that of Genesis and Snes around 15 years ago. Whats the big deal?

Although it is odd that the next gen games are at a premium - this probably reflects the dev costs (console and game) I'm guessing MS wants to make some money this time around since the Xbox was a loss leader.

Edited by Surreptishus

In Turkey;

PS2 games cost 120 TL.(about 85$)

Xbox games -if you can find them cost 129 TL.(about 92$)

GameCube games cost 120 TL.(about 85$)

PC games cost 75 to 90 TL.(about 53$ to 64$)

A PS2 costs 400 TL.(about 285$)

Aren't these reasons enough for piracy?

centinexx.png

In Turkey;

PC games cost 75  to 90 TL.(about 53$ to 64$)

Aren't  these reasons enough for piracy?

A Ferrari costs approx. $100 grand (low end) here

A Corvette can be had for $40 grand

A mansion in a rich area costs over $1 million

Aren't these reasons enough to steal?

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

These prices are disgusting..... We have similar prices in the third world with only a fraction of the income of rich countries.

But then again video games aren't a necessity good, they're a luxury good. Thus it isn't "disgusting" that game companies try to make money off an item that isn't needed to survive.

Not really the point though.

The goal here is sales, and what will get you more sales? Charging 50 per game and only 1 in 1000 can get it normally... or charging 20 and 1 in 50 can get it. (for example... I suck at economics so this is all guessing)

50 per 1000 people or 400 per 1000 people?

Personally if I were selling something I'd rather get that 400 than the 50 ;)

In Turkey;

PC games cost 75  to 90 TL.(about 53$ to 64$)

Aren't  these reasons enough for piracy?

A Ferrari costs approx. $100 grand (low end) here

A Corvette can be had for $40 grand

A mansion in a rich area costs over $1 million

Aren't these reasons enough to steal?

You are right.

In fact, i never play pirated games. I use sendit.com or play.com for my games.

But, piracy is very popular in Turkey. And, with these prices, it is not a surprise.

centinexx.png

Not really the point though.

The goal here is sales, and what will get you more sales? Charging 50 per game and only 1 in 1000 can get it normally... or charging 20 and 1 in 50 can get it. (for example... I suck at economics so this is all guessing)

50 per 1000 people or 400 per 1000 people?

Personally if I were selling something I'd rather get that 400 than the 50 :)

It is the point since obviously these high prices aren't hurting the game companies' bottom line. They're obviously making the optimum money at the current prices, otherwise they'd lower their cost. Not to mention they have to charge enough to match the cost of development for each game, thus your example is irrelevent anyways since they'd be losing money if they charged any less than they are per item.

Contrary to what people think, these companies DO actually work out formulae to see what would be the optimal selling price per item in order to cover all expenses and make a profit in the process. ;)

Nonsense and lies, your theories are shaenanigans!

If I steal someone's property I deprive them of that property.

I really hope you're just being funny and trying to egg me on, because you'd be pretty stupid to argue that software piracy isn't a form of theft. Whether or not you "deprived" someone of something is irrelevent. The fact that you took access to something you had no legal right to is all that matters.