360 games even more expensive than Xbox ones

The one thing I notice is how fast those old games play.  I can just hold down the up arrow and go from Trinsic to Yew in about a minute in some of those older games.  Probably doesn't hurt having the fast computers either.

What gets me is that Starflight and Starflight 2 ruined my view of game design and by extension made games like KotOR far less enjoyable.

In Starflight you have litterally hundreds of systems/planets to explore (perhaps thousands of worlds)

In Kotor we have.... what... five? :rolleyes:

Starflight fit on a single disc that you couldn't even put a full length novel on... KotOR took 4 discs...

It seems as the technology advances... the less "game" we get... :ph34r:

1087792905-03.png

And this is a bat attacking the party in a dungeon :rolleyes:

The weird thing is that I don't remember the graphics of Ultima being this good!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

A giant rat from the 1986 MS-DOS version:

versions_msdos_screen2.gif

What gets me is that Starflight and Starflight 2 ruined my view of game design and by extension made games like KotOR far less enjoyable.

In Starflight you have litterally hundreds of systems/planets to explore (perhaps thousands of worlds)

In Kotor we have.... what... five? 

Starflight fit on a single disc that you couldn't even put a full length novel on... KotOR took 4 discs...

It seems as the technology advances... the less "game" we get... 

Which I feel is the biggest drawback of the huge demands for art content. It's the art content that bloats a game like KOTOR. I remember Warren Spector talking about how Richard Garriot placed every single tile of land in Ultima 6. Even then that's a pretty huge task. I couldn't fathom it today.

Edited by alanschu

That's also from the 1986 remake.  I don't even know what the 1980 original looks like.

That looks pretty spot on for Ultima ][ (circa 1983-ish). Ahhh, memories. I played that on the Apple //e! "E" would expand to "EAST", etc. Wow, I'd forgotten the fun there ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Your image is flawed. It says Moby games in a nice white background.

Bah. I guess one of my favourite sites just turned itself to crap then, because linking their pictures used to work.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Which I feel is the biggest drawback of the huge demands for art content.  It's the art content that bloats a game like KOTOR.  I remember Warren Spector talking about how Richard Garriot placed every single tile of land in Ultima 6.  Even then that's a pretty huge task.  I couldn't fathom it today.

:geek:

:rolleyes:

Wow, that's impressive... yeah, I guess with the level of visual detail we have now that'd be next to impossible.

The one thing I notice is how fast those old games play.  I can just hold down the up arrow and go from Trinsic to Yew in about a minute in some of those older games.  Probably doesn't hurt having the fast computers either.

In Kotor we have.... what... five? :rolleyes:

It seems as the technology advances... the less "game" we get... :ph34r:

(Nicklaus) Wirth's law: software makes computers slower faster than hardware makes then faster. (Wirth invented the Pascal and Modula-2 computer languages.)

Besides that, however, I agree. That silly French game I played in 1987 on the Amiga had more worlds to visit than KoTOR, AND a more advanced navigation system!

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Errr, I don't recall that.

Privateer was a Wing Commander fan's wet dream. It basically let you loose in the universe there.

It did have a story, but the most fun was just decking out your ship and messing around. The best part IMO was becoming a pirate, as it made every jump that much more risky as you could stumble upon a militia, or worse yet a confederate, patrol.

You could even freelance for the military if you wanted which was neat too, as the quadrant bordered a Kilrathi zone.

scr04b.jpg.

Duke Nukem... :thumbsup: memories .... :wub:

Anyone used Duke's level editor? I liked to build some random crap in it like making a "gallery of monsters" consisting of glassed boxes with different creatures inside and buttons outside. When you pressed the button, a giant slab would squish a monster into a meat patty.

Another one is making a network of interconnected teleports and launcing rocket inside and watching a rocket travelling through all teleports until it hits the wall.

News

[security]

Tuesday 8th November 2005

Sony's rootkit DRM comes under legal attack 5:32PM

An Italian online civil rights organisation has filed a legal complaint against Sony's use of rootkit technology in the DRM protecting a number of its music CDs.

The ALCEI-EFI (Association for Freedom in Electronic Interactive Communications - Electronic Frontiers Italy) filed its complaint on Friday to the commander of the Guardia di Finanza, Colonel Umberto Rapetto, alleging the technology contravenes Italian legislation.

It claims that knowingly distributing code which damages computer systems is subject to penal law and an 'indictable offence'.

It claims that Sony's actions to offer a patch and instructions on how to remove the software component, which installs itself without the express consent of the user, reveals the company's complicity in the 'crime'.

It says it wants to unmask those behind the decision to adopt the technology and use the case, if it goes ahead, to set a public precedent that this kind of distorted copyright protection is unacceptable in Italy.

Sony has so far been quiet on the matter, but has faced a chorus of criticism over the technology. Computer Associates has said it has instructed its security products to remove the software where found. Russian security firm Kaspersky is also categorising the software as 'spyware'.

The controversy first came to light when a researcher discovered a hidden 'rootkit' on his computer which cloaked monitoring files that formed part of Sony's copy-protection technology on its music CDs.

Matt Whipp

http://www.custompc.co.uk/

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Hopefully Sony will get a serious kick in the cash and prizes over this.

Don't see it as likely from the quote. It dosnt actually damage anything by it's installation , only when you try to remove it improperly and you can do the same sort of damage or worse by fooling around with the windows registry.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Hopefully Sony will get a serious kick in the cash and prizes over this.

Don't see it as likely from the quote. It dosnt actually damage anything by it's installation , only when you try to remove it improperly and you can do the same sort of damage or worse by fooling around with the windows registry.

And you don't see that as bad enough? :thumbsup: