360 games even more expensive than Xbox ones

I would gladly spend $100 on a well developed long game, you know something of BG 2 length with NWN 2's or KotOR's graphics.

And why is that, Surreptishus? Are you too cheap to actually pay what a product is worth?

Edited by Hades_One

I'm not sure about... willingly :shifty: (though of course if I wanted it I would)

but if a game had BG2's depth, PS:T's story and K2's graphics on top of NWN's modability... yeah, I'd probably fork over 100$ for it.

I would gladly spend $100 on a well developed long game, you know something of BG 2 length with NWN 2's or KotOR's graphics.

I would posit that you are in the minority.

And why is that, Surreptishus?  Are you too cheap to actually pay what a product is worth?

Your statement was wrong on many levels.

As a consumer of course i wouldn't ask to pay more. You dont just assign an arbitrary price increase to game just because the real price has fallen over the last 20 or so years. Price per game should only be dependent upon development/promo costs and units expected to be sold.

Edited by Surreptishus

I dunno, Hades has a point.

Didn't Feargus make a post a long time ago about how the price of games has stayed constant, but the cost to produce them has shot thru the roof?

Even if the price doesn't double, I don't think shifting things from the 30-50 range to the 40-60 range would be unreasonable.... especially since games cost, what, 5-20 million to make these days?

I would posit that you are in the minority.

And why is that, Surreptishus?  Are you too cheap to actually pay what a product is worth?

Your statement was wrong on many levels.

You would have to pay that for the number of DvD's you would need.

On that subject. I watched a 5 hour Xenosaga movie on the weekend and that managed to fit on 1 DvD (it being a mixture of FMV and engine scenes).

Ah , how to value a game, the eternal question.

See it really dosnt matter if it's costing developers twice as much to make, if all your getting is the same DvD you were paying

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Actually it does matter. If the game costs twice as much and staying the same price then that severely cuts into the profit margin. In order to save money and make the business viable that means shorter games with shorter development times.

Edited by Hades_One

As you probably already know, new Xbox games retail for about  25% more than the exact same for PC for no reason at all except that MS wants more money. Now looking at prices for upcomming 360 games I see that they retail for 25% more than the Xbox counterparts and 50% more than PC >_<

Examples (in swede money)

Oblivion (PC) 400 SEK

Oblivion (360) 600 SEK!!

Gun (PC) 430

Gun (Xbox) 570

Gun (360) 650!!!

M$ are practicly encouraging people to chip their 360s and pirate games by charging such enormous overprices.

In the USA PC and Xbox games cost the same and the Xbox360 games are only about five dollars more.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Actually it does matter.  If the game costs twice as much and staying the same price then that severely cuts into the profit margin.  In order to save money and make the business viable that means shorter games with shorter development times.

Or you could make very good games and make your money by selling lots of units. I know which one I prefer.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Um, Shadowpaladin, lets stay in the realm of reality here.  There is no gaurantee that a game is going to sell.  None whatsoever.  What is considered good to one may be trash to another and you can't base a business on such uncertainty.

However making short and or poor games is a sure fire way not to sell them.

478327[/snapback]

Actually it does matter.  If the game costs twice as much and staying the same price then that severely cuts into the profit margin.  In order to save money and make the business viable that means shorter games with shorter development times.

Which could explain why we have a LOT more short/underdeveloped games being released over the past few years.

Um, Shadowpaladin, lets stay in the realm of reality here.  There is no gaurantee that a game is going to sell.  None whatsoever.  What is considered good to one may be trash to another and you can't base a business on such uncertainty.

However making short and or poor games is a sure fire way not to sell them.

Games take resources to make, if you don't make a decent profit with game A, you won't have the resources to make game B... and then you dry up and blow away like Troika did.

"Hmm... you may be right.... but wouldn't that hurt the sales and thus the market since a lot of... umm... short or weak games are being made? And I don't see people dishing out 50-70$ for a short or underdeveloped game."

Huh? Most people have no problem buying short games. In fact, most games *are* short. Sgort being no more than 20 hours in this case.

Quite frankly, people whining about cost increases are the same people who believe theyd eserve everything for free anyway. These are the same people whoc ry that games are currently x amount and will whine if its lowed y amount or increased z amount.

Bottom line is companies have the moral right to charge ANYTHING they want for their games, and potential consumers only moral right is to agree to buy at that price or DON'T BUY IT AT ALL.

Piracy is theft. Period.

As far as any reasonable person should be concerned theft should be taking soemthing that does not belong to you which is exactly what piracy is.

Game over.

\

"Or you could make very good games and make your money by selling lots of units. I know which one I prefer."

Market don't work that way. You could make the best game ever, and have it sellf 2 million copies; but if you charge $1 for it (like you likely demand) and it cost $200 million to make (which what it would cost to make the "perfect" game) the comapnies would make $0 making it nothing more than slave labour.

Lame.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Or you could make very good games and make your money by selling lots of units. I know which one I prefer."

Market don't work that way. You could make the best game ever, and have it sellf 2 million copies; but if you charge $1 for it (like you likely demand) and it cost $200 million to make (which what it would cost to make the "perfect" game) the comapnies would make $0 making it nothing more than slave labour.

Lame.

Yes, price is a big factor in consumer spending.

At no point did I say or even imply charging a $1 that would just be stupid. >_<

478327[/snapback]

Games take resources to make, if you don't make a decent profit with game A, you won't have the resources to make game B... and then you dry up and blow away like Troika did.

I think I covered Troika when I said poor games >_<" . Troika's reputation for nigh on unplayable crap obviously didnt help them stay in business.

478327[/snapback]

"When did piracy come into it?"

Um. Did you read the thread? Some people ar etrying to use increased prices as an exuse for priacy - not that such thieves need that excuse as they ahve a habvit of making any exuse up as to blame others for their actions.

"Yes, price is a big factor in consumer spending."

Sure is, and we'll see that any loss of sales because of the price icnrease will at the very least be offset by the new cost anyways if not they'll make more money even if theys ell less.

"At no point did I say or even imply charging a $1 that would just be stupid."

Sure did. It's in the tone fo your post. You beleive you are somehow entitled to games. You are not.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Yes, but think on this.

Back when I was a kid, in the 1980's, going to a new release major movie costed $1.50 where I lived. Now it costs $7.50. That is 5 times as much. A triple A title costs $40 back in the 1980's. Now it costs $50. That is only a 20% increase. $1 back in the 80's was actually worth something. Now, not so much.

Sure is, and we'll see that any loss of sales because of the price icnrease will at the very least be offset by the new cost anyways if not they'll make more money even if theys ell less.

"At no point did I say or even imply charging a $1 that would just be stupid."

Sure did. It's in the tone fo your post. You beleive you are somehow entitled to games. You are not.

If people dont buy in the same volume at the higher prices then you just screwed yourself over.

Umm no, try reading the post before making stuff up.

I said I dont feel compelled to pay anymore than I pay right now for the same media (DvD) and the same game , just with pretier graphics.

What we can conclude from that is I dont mind paying the current price so A I dont feel I am entitled to free stuff and B I dont want games to be on sale for a pound since that would be of no actual benifit to me.

Perhaps you should read what is written and not try to infer things >_<

Anyway your wrong on both counts.

478327[/snapback]