Western RPGs dying out?

Craigboy2

Are Western RPGs dying out?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Are Western RPGs dying out?

• Yes, there's bearly any left.
    • No, the RPG genre isn't growing or dying.
    • No, there's more RPG's than ever.

Not really. I don't feel like battling right now. :D

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Usually, if the story only advances, or you can only reach the game's ending if you perform a set of actions in a linear, progressive manner then it can be argued that it is indeed linear; not the entire game itself, but the main part of the game.

FFX-2 has several endings depending on your actions during the game.

That's something I've always liked, and always seemed to be missing in most console games back in the day.

Usually, if the story only advances, or you can only reach the game's ending if you perform a set of actions in a linear, progressive manner then it can be argued that it is indeed linear; not the entire game itself, but the main part of the game.

FFX-2 has several endings depending on your actions during the game.

That's something I've always liked, and always seemed to be missing in most console games back in the day.

Shin Megami Tensei:Lucifers Call has something like 8 endings. Six normal and two secret.

Star Ocean III has either 4 or 6

What I tend to prefer about console multiple endings is they don't have that stupid pick a good or evil outcome option , rather you wont even know what ending your going to get till you get there.

Shadow Hearts II does let you choose, but it's not about good or evil , so it's rather more mysterious as to what your ending will be.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Aren't the Shin Megami Tensei games the same as the Digital Devil Story games? I only ever played a SMT game, and it was the second of the SNES series. Seemed to have a nice setting and theme but it was vague and whacked out. The demon recruiting conversations led me to believe the developers were shooting themselves up with something nefarious during the game's development. Haven't finished it yet, though.

Still it's good to know console games are using more and more of that.

You skipped two.

No, I skipped one. The other was intentional.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Aren't the Shin Megami Tensei games the same as the Digital Devil Story games? I only ever played a SMT game, and it was the second of the SNES series. Seemed to have a nice setting and theme but it was vague and whacked out. The demon recruiting conversations led me to believe the developers were shooting themselves up with something nefarious during the game's development. Haven't finished it yet, though.

Still it's good to know console games are using more and more of that.

Yep I call it pokemon with demons for obvious reasons. The only thing I dislike is the encounter rate. I think thats significant since I play a lot of JRPGs and normally it dosnt bother me. Pity help the people who dont breed a demon witn encounter reduction powers.

There is one planned for the PS3 no details as yet though.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Final Fantasy games are not all the same.

Except the spin-offs that are appearing every now then then (more recently).

They all keep, trademark items however. Chocobos, Cactuar monsters, items names, city names sometimes and character names.

And, what the hell? Spikey haired Hero? That's only been in the last what? Only in FF7? Please, don't generalize based on one game.

FF - Who ever you want

FF2 - 4 Group of friends, No spikey head

FF3 - Who ever you want

FF4 - Long haired guy

FF5 - Normal Haircut guy

FF6 - Green haired girl

FF7 - Spiked hair hero

FF8 - Normal Haircut

FF9 - Normal haircut

FFX - Normal Haircut

FFXI - Who ever you want

Yup, lots of stereotype Japanese anime heroes there.

You should play the games before bashing them (even I played through Planescape Torment).

Shin Megami Tensei:Lucifers Call has something like 8 endings. Six normal and two secret.

Star Ocean III has either 4 or 6

What I tend to prefer about console multiple endings is they don't have that stupid pick a good or evil outcome option

(Star Ocean III was such a horrible game...)

Don't forget about Chrono Trigger/Cross that had their share of multiple endings.

Don't forget about Chrono Trigger/Cross that had their share of multiple endings.

I've played worse. I rather liked the combat system and training the AI was pretty good fun as well. The bonus items made it more of a challenge too.

I didnt want to go too far back :p

478327[/snapback]

I've played worse. I rather liked the combat system and training the AI was pretty good fun as well. The bonus items made it more of a challenge too.

I didnt want to go too far back :p

Well, I'll admit that the gameplay in general was awsome. Loved the battle system, and the reward system. I spent a lot of time creating items too, trying to get my rank up to 1.

But the story falls to peaces... I mean, was there any point in the entire first disc? All the characters seem so arbitrary... They are not different characters at all, just the same one with different models and voices... ; . ;

Well, I'll admit that the gameplay in general was awsome.  Loved the battle system, and the reward system.  I spent a lot of time creating items too, trying to get my rank up to 1. 

But the story falls to peaces... I mean, was there any point in the entire first disc?  All the characters seem so arbitrary...  They are not different characters at all, just the same one with different models and voices... ; . ;

The story is weird I was all set for something Sci Fi. One of those games where the gameplay kept me going even though the story didnt really hook me for ages.

The game definately takes a long time to come upto speed. And likewise for the characters differences to become apparent. On reflection, probably way too long towards the end of disk one it still felt like the intro in some respects. Liked the 'pedia a lot though, pretty much had to read it to know what was going on though.

478327[/snapback]

Making Chocobos in FFVII is... scary

031027.jpg

And Paladin has just forced me to change my Avatar to a REAL Mog.

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Making Chocobos in FFVII is... scary

031027.jpg

And Paladin has just forced me to change my Avatar to a REAL Mog.

Those things are brilliant.

Raising the sodding chocobo was harder than killing the end boss.

478327[/snapback]