cbs poll on evolution vs. creationism

random evil guy

But the vikings were ahead of Christianity as this theory clearly indicates that the earth is a spherical.. although only half a sphere

Ill drink to that and sacrifice 2 virgins AND a great whore, Ha! :cool:

Edited by WITHTEETH

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Ill drink to that and sacrifice 2 virgins AND a great whore, Ha!  :cool:

The Asagods werent that particular, in fact, the concept of virginity didnt exist in viking culture. And human sacrifices was only made to Oden, durig the midvinterblot(winter solstice) f.ex when thralls were sometimes hung as offerings and/or symbols( Oden impaled himself on his spear gungnir on Yggdrasil and hung dead for many days and nights to find wisdom )

"Thoughtcrime is death. Thoughtcrime does not entail death. Thoughtcrime is death."

Ill drink to that and sacrifice 2 virgins AND a great whore, Ha!  :cool:

The Asagods werent that particular, in fact, the concept of virginity didnt exist in viking culture. And human sacrifices was only made to Oden, durig the midvinterblot(winter solstice) f.ex when thralls were sometimes hung as offerings and/or symbols( Oden impaled himself on his spear gungnir on Yggdrasil and hung dead for many days and nights to find wisdom )

What in the hell is wrong with people? :devil:

I had thought that some of nature's journeymen had made men and not made them well, for they imitated humanity so abominably. - Book of Counted Sorrows

'Cause I won't know the man that kills me

and I don't know these men I kill

but we all wind up on the same side

'cause ain't none of us doin' god's will.

- Everlast

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/10/22/...ain965223.shtml

"Most Americans do not accept the theory of evolution. Instead, 51 percent of Americans say God created humans in their present form

a bit worrying to see that most americans prefer religion/fairy tale to real science...

This poll was conducted among a nationwide random sample of 808 adults, interviewed by telephone October 3-5, 2005. The error due to sampling for results based on the entire sample could be plus or minus four percentage points.

So they are extrapolating a diverse nation of 50 states and nearly 300 million people and they bravely ascribe a confidence value of 4%.

How many (intelligent) people do you know that would answer ANY telephone survey?

Do I think they are TRYING to be sensational? <_<

another poll:

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/science/2005-...nterpiece_x.htm

this was very interesting, but hardly a surprise:

God created human beings in their present form exactly as described in the Bible

By income level

$75K and up: 37%

$50K-$74.9K: 51%

$30K-$49.9K: 56%

Under 20K: 70%

Source: USA TODAY/CNN/Gallup telephone survey of 1,005 on Sept. 8-11. Margin of error +/- 3 percentage points.

Ditto.

... Oden impaled himself on his spear gungnir on Yggdrasil and hung dead for many days and nights to find wisdom ...

1. I didn't know it was lost. (Badump-tish!)

2. Did he find it, or is this why Odin hasn't been heard of since Christianity "converted" the Nordic heathens ...?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

quote from Jesus:"But these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them in my presence."

Sounds like Jesus a bit Mothman, are you Messiah returned?

WRONG. What you quoted was a section of one of Jesus's parables in which he was quoting the King (a character in the parable). Honestly, if you want to quote something, don't take it out of context. :p

And by the way, in case it may interest you, when Jesus was being arrested he actually stopped his disciples from killing those who attempted to catch him. :(

You got me, as if I cared.

Jeezy Chreezy, I look as the whole of the bible as parables. I doubt this man from the new testament ever was. Never the less, this is my opinion and not yours. My reality, not yours. :(

Edited by WITHTEETH

Myspace Website!

My rig

You got me, as if I cared.

Jeezy Chreezy, I look as the whole of the bible as parables. I doubt this man from the new testament ever was. Never the less, this is my opinion and not yours. My reality, not yours.  :p

Fine then. But just to be fair, don't quote and take it out of context or else people who know nothing about it will get the wrong idea. That is why I bothered to correct you in the first place. :( A person who read your quote might think Jesus actually did what you claimed. Get what I'm driving at, here?

(btw, there is historical evidence to support his existance. Whether or not he was the divine being himself is another issue)

Edited by Mothman

What secular, empirical proof is there?

Okay. Well, there's those mentioned in the Bible, but I guess you wouldn't call that secular. If you bother to take into consideration the sheer amount of people who recorded his existance mentioned in the Bible and histories (such as Eusebius), you could count that. Pontius Pilate definitely existed. Some of his Apostles are known to have actually existed. Unless you want to say it was a mass conspiracy of 12+ men who were so psychotic they were willing to die for their beliefs. Heck, Peter was crucified upside-down for it! Paul spent years and years in prison for it.

And think about this: if the man never existed and was not crucified, the people would have known this, especially the Roman government. To my knowledge, Romans never denied he existed, either, once Christianity started to spread. They were primarily concerned with stopping its spread. I doubt a man who never existed would cause that much controversy. In fact, one of the reasons for the Roman's persecution of Jesus and Christians was the fear that they would incite rebellion in Empire. :p

There's also the historical artifacts such the shroud of Turin. Also, don't forget the ancient Roman arrest warrant for a Jesus of Nazareth (in the latin, it goes something like "Yeshua de Nazarine", but I'm no Latin expert) There was also another artifact (can't remember exactly what it was) that was inscribed as belonging to Joseph, brother of Jesus.

There are others. I unfortunately can't recall/find the rest. But if I recall more and you wish to hear it, I'll try to post it. I'll try to post some links as well so people don't think I'm making this all up. :(

And mind you, I never said "proof", just "evidence", and that is what this is. A lot of people don't deny his existance. Most doubters just don't believe he was the Son of God.

Edited by Mothman

I am not an expert on the historical sources. In my ignorance, I am willing to doubt their existence. Are you willing to doubt the existence of Jesus?

If not then you only prove yourself to be the a dogmatist.

How 'bout written accounting and tax records? Official government documents? Prose of the classics? Bones in a mausoleum? Dried blood and rusted weapons? Birth documents? Parental lineage?

I could go on, but you get the point. We have hundreds of historical documents that corroborate the existence of Caesar, Alexander, Khan, Confucious, you name it.

Yet there is only one source of reference to the life of Jesus. That is where you're going with this, right?

Wiki Shroud of Turinradiocarbon tests in 1988 that yielded a medieval timeframe for the cloth's fabrication; and analysis of the image mode by microscopist Walter McCrone, who concluded ordinary pigments were used.

As for the Arrest warrant, I looked onine and couldn't find anything. Do you have a link?

Myspace Website!

My rig

The Catholic church has all sorts of crap on Jesus, but they don't like to share. I've studied a lot of History, not necessarily religious, but I did get a degree in it. It's extremely unlikely that there was not a prophet named Jesus. There are just too many stories about it. Stories change over time tremendously, but at the root there is always some source.

Was he the son of God? Only Christians believe this. Muslims and Jews just see him as another prophet. Jewish people who know there history don't even have any ill will about him.

Anyways...lot's of religion on these forums

Guest Cantousent

Frankly, I don't see that it really matters in the long run. I have no problem with the theory of evolution. Of course, I'm like a lot of Catholics, carrying my religion with me through the varied facets of my personal convictions. I hold on to what I perceive as core beliefs while conceding to logical arguments regarding the peripherals. That tends to leave me open to attack from both sides of the debate... an opening which some folks have used to disparage me in one way or another.

Perhaps such attacks are deserved. I must admit that I contend with something of a dual nature. Compared to most of the regulars here, I maintain a devoutly religious lifestyle. Conversely, I strive to stay within the bounds of credulity. That means, where there is a compelling argument to be made, I am willing to entertain virtually any idea, even if I am not willing to accept all of them.

Okay, enough about regulars here. Let's take the so-called "average" Christian. What about his belief in creationism? So what? Does that mean he can't competently sell insurance? Does that mean he can't fix your car? Does that mean he can't check your pulse? Alas, I expect flippant responses to these questions, but I don't see why his religious beliefs are a big deal. Sure, if he believed he should kill all non-believers, then you have an argument. That he believes in creationism? That

Okay, enough about regulars here.  Let's take the so-called "average" Christian.  What about his belief in creationism?  So what?  Does that mean he can't competently sell insurance?  Does that mean he can't fix your car?  Does that mean he can't check your pulse?  Alas, I expect flippant responses to these questions, but I don't see why his religious beliefs are a big deal.  Sure, if he believed he should kill all non-believers, then you have an argument.  That he believes in creationism?  That

Come to think of it, if it's so crucial that we teach the debate, why aren't Sunday schools pitching in with sessions on evolution? Not supporting it, of course, but letting children know that alternate views are out there. Giving their students a well-rounded view. That's what this argument's all about, isn't it?