KotoR 3: Ideas and Suggestions

I just want somthing i do in the game to mean somthing. Cuz it gets old, I WANT TO BE EVIL quit makin me join the good guys against the bad guys. :ph34r:

...Have you even played the games? Both give you the option to be DS or LS. Even though in the first one you had to go to the Jedi Acadamy on Dantooine, they gave you the option to lie to the council.

One of the things I really enjoyed about most of the Star Wars movies was the relatively complex action at the end of the movies ...

- In TPM there were four major conflicts at the end: Anikan space battle, Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vs. Darth Maul; Amidala retakes her palace; and Gungans vs. Droids - all at the same time, and the outcomes of some relied on the outcomes of some of the others

- In ATC I was actually kind of dissappointed - Amidala/Anikan/Obi-Wan arena -> Jedi/Clones/Droids arena -> Clones/Droids battle -> Anikan/Obi-Wan vs. Count Dooku -> Yoda vs. Count Dooku - while on their own, they were pretty cool, the sequential nature was pretty lame

- In RTS I was similarly dissappointed with the ending - while the Anikan/Clones vs. Jedi Temple / Order 66 battles were kind of coincidental, they were lame - the coolest thing about the Obi-Wan/Vader battle was that their styles and tactics were almost identical (highlighting the Master/Apprentice relationship, IMO)

- In ANH there were three major conflicts at the end: Luke/Leia/Han/Chewie/R2/3PO escape from the Death Star; Obi-Wan/Vader duel (which now has a lot more meaning); and the Death Star battle - granted, these were more or less sequential - and the Death Star battle was so long that you could say there was only one "final battle", but it was still fairly ground-breaking for action movies of the time.

- In ESB there were two major conflicts - Luke/Vader and Leia/Chewie/3PO/R2/Lando catch up with Boba Fett/escape Cloud City

- In RTJ there were three major conflicts - Luke Vader/Emperor, Lando/Death Star, and Han/Leia/Chewie/Ewoks/et al vs. Imperial Troops ... and if you believe that Palpatine had some measure of "Battle Meditation" influence over the Imperial Fleet (and notice that the tide didn't really turn in the Rebels' favor until after he died) then they ALL had some measure of influence over each other - had the timing been different for any of them, the outcome would have been significantly different.

The ending of RTJ (except for the Ewoks) sets the standard, IMO, for how a SW story should end ... severel inter-dependent conflicts resolving together, the outcomes of which determine the fate of the galaxy - KotOR did a fairly good job of this (the space battle and the battle inside the Star Forge), but I would have liked to have more influence over both - TSL didn't (sure, you've go the Mira/Hanhaar and Remote sidebars, but these were comparatively lame and pointless), this was a major dissappointment for me.

I want to be forced to split my whole party into groups, each group with a separate objective as important as the others.

the coolest thing about the Obi-Wan/Vader battle was that their styles and tactics were almost identical (highlighting the Master/Apprentice relationship, IMO)

Yes, and it seemed to be a battle of tragedy rather than Anakin voluntarily giving himself to the dark side. Something close to being inevitable.

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

here's my wishlist :geek:

[*]it was annoying in kotor when you party members suddenly started talking to each other in the middle of nowhere when you were doing something, i appreciated that in tsl such things are triggered on the ship or in certain other situations when there's something going on. so i'd like this to endure the sequel

[*]the idea of the bound crystal was great but it is a rare thing so we shouldn't get another in the sequel

[*]learning new powers from Kreia or in places like Freedon Nadd's tomb was also a great idea, the sequel should feature holocrons, books and other tombs - not just sith tombs, i'd like the chance to speak with a force ghost, like Kreia

[*]training with party members to add special features to your own jedi robe like resistance vs alignment, attribute bonus

I want to be forced to split my whole party into groups, each group with a separate objective as important as the others.

I leik this.

Yeah cool. I thought K2 did that.

The Duxn Tomb Raid/Battle for Onderon party split was one of the highlights of K2, but I don't think the importance of either was well explained, and it was just another piece of the four-part intermediate quest - I want something like this, but more complex and involved in the final conflict.

I want to believe that my whole party was important - not just the PC.

I want to achieve a minor objective in one path then shift to another, and see how one party's actions influences the others' objectives.

While this is hard to script, it's not impossible - I did it a few times as a PnP RPG GM, and my players were on the edges of their seats for hours as the "final conflict" resolved itself in multiple places/settings with each PC's actions important to the final outcome.

One possibility that this brings is meaningful sacrifice of NPC's (self-sacrifice for LS, or sacrifice by the choices the PC makes for DS).

- it was annoying in kotor when you party members suddenly started talking to each other in the middle of nowhere when you were doing something, i appreciated that in tsl such things are triggered on the ship or in certain other situations when there's something going on. so i'd like this to endure the sequel

- more powerful grenades and the power to push them back

I liked the random party interaction in K1 - it gave me reason to bring along different party mixes, just to see what they would say to each other.

The Mission/Bastila dialog was priceless: "... miss 'high and mighty' you ain't that much older than me, just because you're some jedi ..." <whump> "hey, that wasn't funny" ... "I have no idea what you're talking about Mission, and do try to be more careful ..."

I definitely agree that you should be able to use force push to avoid grenades, and at higher levels redirect them to other targets.

As for "more powerful" grenades - they're powerful enough, if the level cap was a reasonable 20.

More banters between npc is a good idea and not on the Ebon Hawk. Make it more realistic like what was done in BG2 and their NPCs.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Bastilla, why do you want a third KotOR? If LA is going to castrate their own games like they did for KotOR 2 why even bother with a KotOR 3? One year development time and next to zero support is not how you make a successful computer game. KotOR 1 was fine and dandy, but it should have ended right there and then. Putting out another KotOR game will only get us an even worse game than KotOR 2 in terms of bugs and rushed product.

Let the series die and move on to better games done by a better publisher.

Because she is a fanatic. Plain and simple.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring here, because I finally started playing this game - and I mean like last week. Wife's out of town, I have plenty of free time, so I figured I might as well give it a shot. I should also note that I've never played its predecessor. Nor have I yet beaten II, though I get the impression that I'm pretty close.

Here are my observations for a potential sequel:

1. The scale of the story.

It just feels like familiar territory from the movies and other games in the genre that I've played. I don't, as a rule, like "epic" sorts of adventure. I think there is plenty of drama and plenty of good fun to be had in a much less...consequential storyline. I'm no expert on this, but it's my understanding that both the character from this game, as well as from I, entered Star Wars Extended Universe canon as fairly major figures. I don't like that, at all. Not every plot has to involve the epic hero and his motley crew of unlikely friends saving the galaxy and having significant historical impact...though as I haven't finished the game yet, I can't say for sure that's what happens. But it seems pretty likely. Actually, this ties in to my next point...

2. Character.

Along the same lines as the scale of the story itself, I question why every computer roleplaying game these days, especially the two set in the Star Wars universe, focus on a protagonist who's super-special. The reason I always preferred the Icewind Dale series to the Baldur's Gate series is because I could never get on board with the whole "half-son of a god" deal or whatever it was with BG. Plot writers need to get off of the whole "destined for greatness" aspect of writing. For one thing, it greatly limits personal conception of the character you're playing; it's essentially pre-packaging the most important part of the character, who he or she really is, while letting you fiddle around with the comparatively minor stuff like his stats and skills. They have a history that's already written, and you basically just get to take control of them at an important point and walk them through points A, B, and C, in order to get them to the inevitable conclusion. Which, in a way, brings us to...

3. Jedi.

I agree that they're an important part of Knights of the Old Republic, since the title, obviously, refers to them. However, I can also understand the desire to play something else; I dabbled with Star Wars: Galaxies for a very brief time during a similar period of time-filling on leave, and had to shake my head at everybody grinding to get their Jedi slot. For the period in which SWG was set, having hundreds of Jedi running around was just a basic violation of the entire story, and I didn't like it. The setting here is much different, however, so I really don't see a problem with keeping them the focus, but also allowing people to play other classes at their will - without having to "fudge" it by still being forced to acquire Force powers and the like, and simply wearing armor and carrying a blaster and never actually using a lightsaber or Force choke.

4. Jedi, part deux.

If you're going to go the Jedi route, however, I think it's time to stop the whole, "I was memory wiped/cut off from the Force, and now I'm slowly learning how to use it again," bit. I didn't play KOTOR I, as stated, but I understand that this device was also used in that game. It has its uses, sure; several times during my current game I was pretty damn sure I was going to finally acquire a lightsaber - most notably when the blind chick attacked me on the ship - and I'd get mighty frustrated when it didn't happen. When it finally did, I seriously sat there grinning like an idiot. At the same time, however, it has its disadvantages. For one, it ties into the whole pre-packaged character rant from Point 2, and also imparts a sense of going through the motions for the first half of the game. I knew that my guy was eventually going to get a light stick, so the entire preamble beforehand with having to use blasters or regular weapons felt like precisely that: a preamble to the "real" game. It's time for the device to die.

My two cents. I'm sure I'll have more by the time I'm actually done with the game.

Also, it does seem a little bit too easy.

In terms of lightsabers, it might help to have violet as a colour for Jedi Masters rather than for both Sith Lords and Jedi as was in K2.

If K3 had parts of the game where force users wielded lightsabers, rather than having allies that are mostly soldiers, there would be variation in lightsaber colours. Other different allies can also be considered. (Of course)

Deep from within...

Victims live a life of fantasy.

Some see salvation as an act of God, a few look within for it.

朱宣澧

AHAHHAHAA.

*ahem*

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds