Half Dragon Mindflayer

Darkside

Should I allow a half dragon mindflayer?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Should I allow a half dragon mindflayer?

• Yes
    • Compromise (state below please)
    • No

Yeah, campaigns where the characters are all half-dragon/half-demi-lich/half Titans sucks.

Of course, campaigns where the DM forces the players to play a one-legged, near sighted half-kobold/half-vegetable are just as bad. The happy medium to create a party where everyone has fun. The problem is that the dumbass actually wants to play a half-dragon/mind-flayer. It's just ridiculous on its face.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Thats doesnt quite sound like a serious way to deal with the problem of overpowered PC's. The GM should never set out with the goal of "getting" the party, that is not fair or fun in the least.

Either you adjust the adventure after the power of the PC's or you tell the players they have to adjust their characters.

It wasn't my goal to kill the party but I just did what I figure the kobolds were do in the given situation.

I'll never understand some people. Back in the day you were lucky to find a +3 sword, now we have players wanting to play obscure races.

Sometimes it's fun to play a monster campaign, for a change. I would have nothing against a mindflayer PC under such circumstances. Not my cup of tea, but I guess different people have different tastes. The half-dragon part is stupid, though, and it seems there may be an excess of sourcebooks in that game.

However, as Eldar said, playing a level 0 commoner that suffers like a -8 penalty to his attack rolls when using his low quality shovel (which he's not proficient with) as he tries to kill the mice in his basement can be just as lame. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

"Your group is in the ages 13-14 correct? I would say that you will simply have to allow these kinds of things in order for the players to get it out of their system so they will realise its bad and begin to play more seriously when they get older."

It has nothing tod o with age. My firends,a nd I started playing D&D around age 9-10 and we would NEVER think of playing such a silly race combo. In fact outside of the basic races, and some of the races in the Complete Book of Humanoids, variant races just werne't acceptable. Don't blame age for this.

And, Hades, I don't think sticking a wand of fireball up someone's butt is gonna allow it to work. Seems to me you were planning tos crw the PCs no matter. I have no problems killing PCs - heck, i do it all the time - but; purpsoely making it impossible for them to succeed is not good. Come on, I *know* you are a great DM from your other threads so don't embarass us Killer Dms tm.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

It would never happen in any of my campaigns. Play normal races or don't play.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Why wouldn't it work, Volourn? The kobold knew the command word and knew how to invoke the wand's power. And don't blame me for my clueless players. I gave plenty of hints that the kobold was going to betray them and they should kill the kobold.

1: Named the kobold Killit Kwik.

2: Showed up on the Paladin's detect evil (I use evil intent, not just evil alignment and they knew that).

3: Stated how empty the various halls and rooms they were travelling through.

4: Had the PCs make Spot and Listen checks opposed by the sneaking kobolds.

I simply used tactics that Dragon Mountain Kobolds use as per how the module described them.

Dragon Mountain kobolds use lots of attics; but I don't recall sticking a wand up someone's butt is one of them. The ambush is a good tatic. The wand thing is not.

Well, the kobold saw the monk as the biggest threat and was standing right next to him. If you were a kobold with a one shot wand of fireballs about to face a foe that can dodge explosions without a care what would you do?

I simply did what the kobold would realistically do. Either way he knew he was about to die. Might as well take out the biggest threat in the group if he could.

But the 3.5 rules doesnt allow for the forceful insertion of such an item into the rectal canal of a a living creature, they are simply too abstract. And if it says the wand does XD6 damage then you roll XD6, no matter in what orifice said wand may be lodged at the moment as long as the appropriate end is still held by the caster >_<"

..and I would just like to add out of nowhere that the D&D game Im playing is getting worse by the minute. The PC's are killing eachother like mad and I was just inches away from being todays victim ;)

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But basicly, you bent the rules in order to kill off a PC you didnt like?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

But basicly, you bent the rules in order to kill off a PC you didnt like?

Actually he didn't die. He was reduced to single digit HP then saved 2 of his party members by picking up two of his unconscious characters and fled the battle. The other surviving character did the same. In the end there was only one PC death in that battle and that was the Rogue/Assassin who was betraying the group and took down the paladin right after the fireball hit.

The monk's first death was by the necklace of stranglation. He found a necklace, the mage said it was magical, he thought to put it on without identifying it. Go figure. :)

Edited by Hades_One

The monk's first death was by the necklace of stranglation.  He found a necklace, the mage said it was magical, he thought to put it on without identifying it.  Go figure.  :)

Hahaha, never put magic gadgets on before trying them out. This evening our GM focused our attention on a magic ring, a shiny nice magic ring.

-Its a really nice ring, you want this ring.

-Yes, I want this ring. I take the ring.

-Its very shiny and pretty.

-I polish it and admire its beauty. I identify it.

-You cant. You want to wear the ring.

-Uhm, no I dont.

-Yes you do.

-NO, I dont want to wear the ring.

-Yes, you DO want to wear the ring!

-Does not!

-Does too!!!

-Doesnt.

-Does.

-Mhm.. *shakes head*

-Yes.

-LALALALALALA!! *holds hands on ears*

"The monk's first death was by the necklace of stranglation. He found a necklace, the mage said it was magical, he thought to put it on without identifying it. Go figure."

Well. In this case, he deserves what he got.