Civilization 4

Just read the review for it seems pretty good but I am already a fan of the series

but seems interesting that cottages will earn your cities money

wonder if you can still travel the continent on rail in only one turn :wub:

Rail movement has been limited to 10 for all units. That is, regardless of your unit's normal move rate, it will move 10 squares on the railroad.

My site's main coder hadn't done his job when we woke up this morning, and like an hour ago he logged on and we asked him what's up.

"I got Civ 4 last night, and I sat up until 9 in the morning to play it. Why? Something wrong?"

I guess it is good.. :wub: .. but it doesn't help our site!!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My site's main coder hadn't done his job when we woke up this morning, and like an hour ago he logged on and we asked him what's up.

"I got Civ 4 last night, and I sat up until 9 in the morning to play it. Why? Something wrong?"

I guess it is good..  :wub:  .. but it doesn't help our site!!

The demonstration game Enoch linked too makes for a good read.

I'm even thinking about getting it, but I'd have to either buy or build another PC and I really dont want to.

If someone has the specs could they post them please ?Gameplay dosnt seem to include them these days.

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0
I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

The demonstration game Enoch linked too makes for a good read.

I'm even thinking about getting it, but I'd have to either buy or build another PC and I really dont want to.

If someone has the specs could they post them please ?Gameplay dosnt seem to include them these days.

FYI: the author is adding more to that demo game daily. By next week there will be 7 total installments bringing that game right up to a modern victory.

Moving on, Civ4 Specs:

MINIMUM

Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher

Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.2 GHZ

256 MB RAM

64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

DirectX 7 compatible soundcard

DVD-ROM drive (Europe only-- N.Am. version is on 2 CDs)

1.7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED

Windows XP with SP1 or higher

Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.8 GHz

512 MB RAM

128 MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)

Compared to past Civs, which have always run well on sub-standard gaming rigs, this is pretty demanding, and is has caused some consternation since there are a lot of Civ fans who aren't otherwise avid gamers.

Stability-wise, so far, the biggest problem over at the CivFanatics Forums is with (stop me if you've heard this before) drivers for ATI cards.

As for myself, I got it to run okay on my desktop (with recommended specs in everything except my ancient 64MB GeForce 3) with a just little skipping in the intro video. (Thankfully, the in-game movies work fine.) After about 4 hours of playing, I'm impressed. The only real negative so far is that the Civilopedia has taken a major step back from Civ3. It's not searchable, and everything (techs, buildings, wonders, etc.) is indexed by the in-game symbol rather than the name.

Edited by Enoch

FYI: the author is adding more to that demo game daily.  By next week there will be 7 total installments bringing that game right up to a modern victory.

Moving on, Civ4 Specs:

MINIMUM

Windows 2000/XP with SP1 or higher

Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.2 GHZ

256 MB RAM

64 MB graphics card with Hardware T&L (GeForce 2/Radeon 7500 or better)

DirectX 7 compatible soundcard

DVD-ROM drive (Europe only-- N.Am. version is on 2 CDs)

1.7 GB free hard disk space

RECOMMENDED

Windows XP with SP1 or higher

Intel Pentium 4 or AMD Athlon CPU with at least 1.8 GHz

512 MB RAM

128 MB graphics card with DirectX 8 support (pixel- and vertex shaders)

So far, the biggest problem over at the CivFanatics Forums is with (stop me if you've heard this before) drivers for ATI cards.

As for myself, I got it to run okay on my desktop (with recommended specs in everything except my ancient 64MB GeForce 3) with a just little skipping in the intro video. (Thankfully, the in-game movies work fine.) After about 4 hours of playing, I'm impressed. The only real negative so far is that the Civilopedia has taken a major step back from Civ3. It's not searchable, and everything (techs, buildings, wonders, etc.) is indexed by the in-game symbol rather than the name.

Look forward to reading them.

Much appreciated, actually not as bad as I though one extra memory stick and a DVD rom drive.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

I'm definitely getting this game .. but it won't be out in Denmark until november 4th! :thumbsup:

from all I've read the game seems quite impressive, but I feel a bit ambivalent about the handling of the techtree, with no specific epochs as far as I understand .. and the fact that the Civipedia (as mentioned above) is trimmed a bit..

which is negible, so I think I'll love it! ^_^

Fortune favors the bald.

I'm definitely getting this game .. but it won't be out in Denmark until november 4th! :thumbsup:

from all I've read the game seems quite impressive, but I feel a bit ambivalent about the handling of the techtree, with no specific epochs as far as I understand .. and the fact that the Civipedia (as mentioned above) is trimmed a bit..

which is negible, so I think I'll love it! ^_^

Reading the forum put me off a bit. I think I'll dig out SMAC and see if I still have a taste for this sort of thing. I do like the idea of having to run less cities though having to manage 30+ cities bored me silly so I would leave it to the AI most of the time.

478327[/snapback]

Looks that way a warrior unit is made up of 3 warriors (no idea what they represent).

It doesn't mean much, it's basically so that each unit looks like there is more than one person. :)

The Civilopedia actually does have everything organized alphabetically. If you click on on of the icons it will bring up the description for that item and a menu bar on the side with everything in that catagory listed in alphabetical order. Seemed pretty good to me although there was something about the way it looked that just didn't seem right.

I really like the music! Some of it is really good. I especially like the music from the main menu. :-

In other news, I'm the only one in town that has Civ 4. I went in to pick it up and was given the special edition. When I reserved my copy there were two items in the computer for the same price so the person there reserved one, but put the money down on the other. That way I was guarenteed one or the other depending on what they got. They apparently had a bunch of people calling the store asking if it was in yet but since I was the only one that had pre-ordered they didn't have it for anyone else. :lol:

You can also turn that option off and it gives you the 1 man unit.  It saves a bit in performance.

Thats handy. I'll play SMAC over the weekend and if I get on with that I'll pick up Civ IV on my way home on monday.

478327[/snapback]

Looks that way a warrior unit is made up of 3 warriors (no idea what they represent).

It doesn't mean much, it's basically so that each unit looks like there is more than one person. :)

You can also turn that option off and it gives you the 1 man unit. It saves a bit in performance.

Didn't know that. I haven't gone through any of the options yet, but I'll go picking through them later.

I'm feeling really impatient about this game - I want to play.  I'm trying to resist the urge to get out Civ3 for a day or two, because I want to go to Civ4 fresh and open-minded, but it's hard.

I'm about to brave the attic to find SMAC. I figure it's similiar enough to see if I still like that sort of gameplay. But different enough not to lead to any preconceived notions about Civ 4.

Hope it still works :(

478327[/snapback]

Oh god, no, Shadow, don't do that. If you play SMAC before playing Civ 4, it will only make you conclude that Civ 4 is crap when you get it.

Playing SMAC to decide if you'd like Civ 4 is like driving a Hovercar to decide if you'd like Ferraris. It doesn't matter how good the Ferrari is, it's going to suck compared to the hovercar.

:("

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Oh god, no, Shadow, don't do that.  If you play SMAC before playing Civ 4, it will only make you conclude that Civ 4 is crap when you get it.

Playing SMAC to decide if you'd like Civ 4 is like driving a Hovercar to decide if you'd like Ferraris.  It doesn't matter how good the Ferrari is, it's going to suck compared to the hovercar.

:("

You could have said that before I did the attic quest :lol:

Anyway the box fell open and I nearly broke my toe with the manual :D

Havnt seen a 200 page manual for a game in quite some time..

Looks like Civ 4 got put back a week anyway..

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

Does it have multiplayer?

Can you actually save your games in said multiplayer?

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

Yes.

And judging by the fact that they let players leave and come back during a game, have the AI take over people who leave, and people take over AI by joining a game in progress, I'd be surprised if there was no save function.

god damn it. finally got it, loaded perfectly and everything was good to go. however, the lag is truly unbelievable. i have a amd2800, 1024mb RAM and a geforce fx5700 graphic card, so the requirements shouldn't be a problem.

everything is just so damn slow. it takes about 1,5 sec for a unit to respond to my commands. adjusting the settings doesn't help either. tried updating drivers and such, but to no avail.

BUHU!!!!!!! now i have to wait for a patch or something like that...