Xbox RPGs

Well thats the thing about a game like Tiger Woods to all intents and purposes it's an RPG.

You play the role of a golfer, your golfer is fully customisable and your golfer earns experience. How you play is modified by your characters skills, and if you go on the tour made there is a story of sorts. You can equip the character and earn money to buy better equipment.

I think that covers every criteria to be classes as a roleplaying game short of beating things over the head with a nine iron :D

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

What if I don't want to play a golfer.  Instead I want to play a wizard.  :)

True, but you can say the same about any RPG , like why cant I be a knight in Jade Empire. I doubt you have seen the level of customisation on offer in Tiger Woods in any traditional sort of RPG.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Heres another non typical game which follows the same dark/lightside as KOTOR does.

From his first appearance in Sonic Adventure 2TM to his most recent role in Sonic HeroesTM, Shadow has emerged as one of the most popular characters in the Sonic The Hedgehog universe. And now, he is headlining his own game. Shadow The Hedgehog boldly redefines the intense, high-speed action that fans have come to love in the Sonic The Hedgehog series.

Created as the Ultimate Life Form, Shadow is a rebel tormented by a dark past, and he is struggling to unveil his true identity. Was he created to save humankind or to do the evil bidding of the dark side? His only clues are his own forgotten memories, and those secrets can only be unlocked through the powers of seven Chaos Emeralds.

Now, Shadow's once peaceful planet is under siege by a malevolent force. The government must take whatever means necessary to stop this deadly attack. Timing is critical and the Chaos Emeralds are at the heart of it all. In order to secure the Emeralds, Shadow must play both sides...but the path he takes will ultimately be up to you!

It's missing the customisable options, but it has the consequences of actions down perfectly.

Shadow is also 1000 times cooler than Sonic :D

Shadow can use special skills, like Chaos Control to manipulate time and space, or Chaos Blast, for unbelievable destruction.

Heavy-duty weapons are on hand, such as bazookas, blasters and worm shooters.

There is a wide assortment of vehicles for Shadow to use, including motorcycles, alien crafts, and SUV's.

Shadow is able to pick up and use environmental objects like poles, sticks and debris to plow his way through a mission.

Players can decide to stay on a path of good or veer onto a path of evil; choices that the player makes will determine the progression of the story.

I'm even going to put my platform hatred aside for this one :)

Edited by ShadowPaladin V1.0

478327[/snapback]

What are indigo prophecy and phantom dust ?

I think I've got Crimson Sea lurking around somewhere. Dont recall anythin particularly RPGish about it. Reminded me more of Dynasty Warriors if anything.

I am currently playing Indigo Prophecy. It is probably best described as an "interactive movie". It is very cinematic but does have user-controlled dialogue. Because of that, I am considering it an RPG. Crimson Sea has user-controlled dialogue.

Granted, I am painting with a broad brush here.

Don't paint with a wide brush. You simply cheapen the genre.

A CRPG has a central character that can be customized by the player. More customization allowed the better. The game uses statistics for the character and how ell a character does within the game is more based on the character's abilities and not the player's. It often has some level of story and exploratory aspects to it as well.

If a game doesn't have these basic elements to them then it is not a CRPG.

I think I've got Crimson Sea lurking around somewhere. Dont recall anythin particularly RPGish about it. Reminded me more of Dynasty Warriors if anything.

What I saw of Indigo Prophecy I most defintely would not call it a role playing game. You can't even make your own character or customize it in any shape whatsoever.

Indigo Prophecy is more of a graphical "choose your own adventure" style game.

'The game uses statistics for the character and how ell a character does within the game is more based on the character's abilities and not the player's."

ALL RPGs require player ability. This should be obvious. Afterall, there's a reasonw hy some people find some games hard, some find the same game challenging, and others find it easy.

Game over.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

I am currently playing Indigo Prophecy. It is probably best described as an "interactive movie". It is very cinematic but does have user-controlled dialogue. Because of that, I am considering it an RPG. Crimson Sea has user-controlled dialogue.

Granted, I am painting with a broad brush here.

Ah, Fahrenheit. THe last hope for the adventure genre and people try to label it as an rpg. Oh god.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I find it really annoying when people say "This game has stats in it.. it must be an RPG!"

An apple is red, does that make it a fire engine?

For a game to be an cRPG, it needs character development, statistically and through story. It needs... well, a story. It also needs interpersonal development, though dialog, or whatever. And also whatever else I have inevitably forgotton.

Just one of the same features doesn't make a crpg.

ps. Dark Alliance should NEVER be spoken/typed in the same sentance as RPG, unless it is "RPG wannabe"

{edit: ps I thought beyond good and evil was the last hope for adventure games... or is that action/adventure... hmmm}

Edited by grayjo

Don't know how much of an RPG you would call it but I like Kingdom Under Fire.

do you prefer Crusaders or Heroes?

couldnt say since I've not played heroes yet, sorry.

I enjoyed Crusaders a lot though.

478327[/snapback]