Doom film

metadigital

You guys are so two-faced...

Aren't we forgetting that all game to movie coversions suck badly without a shred of a doubt? As demonstrated here.

I played the Halo demo, and promptly uninstalled it (the nag screen only stiffened my resolve).

I have no interest in the game or any follow-on franchise, such as the film discussed in the link you provide. Also, I did not comment on that thread.

Generally, films made from games are awful. My point in starting this thread was not to say "Ooo! THIS FILM spin-off WILL BE DIFFERENT!11", but merely to dispel the initial rumours that it would not be based on the game at all (virus not demons, Earth not Mars, etc), as well as the initial supposition that this was due the over-bearing Christian fundamentalists in the primary market.

I still expect the film to be no better than a reasonable way to idle away an hour or so, but I must say that any protracted period of exposure to 'The Rock' and what he calls acting is tantamount to torture, so I have no high hopes for the film overall.

It will be yet another cash-in on the (now entering high diposable wealth demographic) "Generation X" (which is just the name given to "the generation after the Baby Boomers which doesn't seem to have any distinguishing characterists that might give us a decent name"), like The Brady Bunch, The Addams Family, The Dukes of Hazard, etc. The fact that it is a game-follow-on means it doesn't have to be any good at all to be better than just about EVERY other in the genre (okay, the first Tomb Raider wasn't completely awful :D).

So, No, I think you have totally misunderstood the point of this topic and are misunderestimating me, to boot. :-

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Actually on of my characters in my screenplay could fit The Rock decently enough. Either him of Vin Diesel. He is a quiet badarse type with enough augmentations and a kickarse nanoshelled alien starfighter that can rip apart captial ships. Yeah, the Rock could play Sentinel well enough. Hmmm...

Well his phrases have changed and been modifeid over the years.

"Do you smell what The Rock is cooking?"

became

"IF YA SMEEEEEEEEEEEEEELA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LA-LELLLLL, what The Rock is cooking"

The Rock says, you can take your facts, turn that sunuvab!tch sideways, and stick it straight up your candy ass!

Back on topic, I saw the trailer for the Doom film at the cinema tonight, when I went to see Serenity. Including some of the FPS-perpective shots.

It looks awful.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Guest Fishboot
Back on topic, I saw the trailer for the Doom film at the cinema tonight, when I went to see Serenity. Including some of the FPS-perpective shots.

It looks awful.

I was excited to see the FPS scenes but when I actually did... it was like they nailed a gun to the camera. I thought that camerawork would be interesting, but it's just about the worst execution of a "gun combat in first person" scene I can imagine.

The word "gimmick" springs readily to mind when I try to form an adjectival clause with the scene still in mind.

It is just a cynical exercise in milking the franchise for all its got. Still, I stand by my original post that at least self-censorship hasn't reached the paranoid levels that were spouted earlier in the year.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Looks like a promising action movie. Never played any of the Doom games though.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

The trailers remind me of the Alien movies with your favorite Doom monsters. Been there, done that

Life is like a clam. Years of filtering crap then some bastard cracks you open and scrapes you into its damned mouth, end of story.

- Steven Erikson

I remember Kindred.  It wasn't half bad if 'm thinking of the same series.  I wonder what happened to it...I think it was a Fox show.

It was a Fox show. It was never renewed once it's original order of nine episodes were done.

For those who want to learn more:

http://www.tv.com/kindred-the-embraced/sho....html?q=kindred

Edited by Spider

OH SNAP.

Gotta get that show somehow.

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin