Jade Empire Bombed

Volourn

Ahh.. Alanshu the Troll appears. Has nothing to add the topic (alobeit off topic to the original post; but meh) so he just whines and cries.

What Drakron is doing is what is usually referred to as debating, and pointing out why he has the opinion he has. I disagee with him as is my right (as it is his right to disagree with me). But, hey, keep whining. It's entertaining.

Drakron: There are lots of sports games being made. Both good, and bad. But, all in the end, are compared to the EA versions. And, it has nothing to do with what licesnes 'cause until recently EA didn't have control over them. Bottom line is that EA's sports line is awesome though admittedly they have had their share of stinkers. Of course consideirng the number of them they made that should be not surprising.

As for the Sims, the fact that EA didn't come in until after the Sims series started yet hasn't messed too much with it proves that they don't go around messing with successful things after buying into. In essence, it's more proof that only garbage companies that EA buys get the trashed treatment, and deservedly so.

And, last thing I'm worried about is what Europe thinks about Konami (which id o like to a degree). Europe is irrleavnt to me when it comes to gaming.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Europe is irrleavnt to me when it comes to gaming. "

There goes the last of respect. Oh well...

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Name one great game to come from Europe. I can't. I can name many from North America, and many from Asia. But, none from Europe or other continents. It's not an attack on players from Europe; but from the European game industry if there even is one.

R00fles!

P.S. Ohoh! it wasn't my itnent to start a cross continent gaming war; but Drakron started it with his 'Europe like x', 'Europe likes y', 'Europe hates z, and Europe hates b' crap. That's too irrelevant.

That is all.

P.S.S. As for respect, once again, respect is only worthwhile in the RL; not the internet.

And, last thing I'm worried about is what Europe thinks about Konami (which id o like to a degree). Europe is irrleavnt to me when it comes to gaming.

Why? Europe is actually a bigger gaming market than the USA.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

"Why? Europe is actually a bigger gaming market than the USA."

Difference is the Amerikans (and Kanadians too) as well as Japanese actually make good games I wanna play. :)

Size of market means little to me when I bet unless there's a secret game I don't know about in Europe that most of Europe's game market consists of games from NA or Japan. :thumbsup:

And, if not, I like to know where these great European games are. I've seen many greta European movies, heard their great music, and watched their great tv shows; but no great games. Odd to me.

Well I enjoyed the Commandos line ... well the first 2.

They spanish developed.

Also I never played but there is "the Longest Adventure", also I also have to refere to "Alone in the Dark" one of the first survival horror games.

Also there is Tomb Raider that was done by Core (british) that I enjoyed the firsts as 3d plataform games.

Also there is Gothic (german) that even if I hated the combat system had some good ideas (like NPCs going home and being aware of intruders in their home), also I-War a flight combat system developed by a now defunt british developer.

Edit:

I missed this gem.

Rockstar North formerly based in Dundee, Scotland, and now located in the Leith area of Edinburgh.

drakron.png

Or NWN OC.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

WOW! Only deecnt game mentioned is Tomb Raider, and that's stretching it.

Gothic series sucked thus far though G3 may be good.

Nope, when it coems to gaming, Europe is a weak link.

Guest Fishboot

Well, I thought Gothic 2 was great, but on the other hand I think video game nationalism is so stupid that it could make a man eat his own head to escape it, so I'm at a loss about how to post in this thread anymore.

"Why? Europe is actually a bigger gaming market than the USA."

Difference is the Amerikans (and Kanadians too) as well as Japanese actually make good games I wanna play. :-

Size of market means little to me when I bet unless there's a secret game I don't know about in Europe that most of Europe's game market consists of games from NA or Japan.  :ermm:

And, if not, I like to know where these great European games are. I've seen many greta European movies, heard their great music, and watched their great tv shows; but no great games. Odd to me.

"Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay" :)

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Ground Controls, Fahrenheit, Europa Unversalis, etc. The list goes on. Heck, even Far Cry is french.

kirottu said:

Come on, people. REAL good games. Not fake ones.

I need games like FF, Arcanum, Madden, or BG.

Not these Butcher Bays, and Gothics.

'but on the other hand I think video game nationalism is so stupid that it could make a man eat his own head to escape it, so I'm at a loss about how to post in this thread anymore."

Weird.

1. This is can't be nationalism as we're talking about continents; not countries.

2. I didn't know I was Asian or Japanese.

P.S. Even Russia has Tetris!

You're an ****, did you know that? Despite being good at modding.

kirottu said:

As for the Sims, the fact that EA didn't come in until after the Sims series started yet hasn't messed too much with it proves that they don't go around messing with successful things after buying into. In essence, it's more proof that only garbage companies that EA buys get the trashed treatment, and deservedly so.

Maxis was acquired by Electronic Arts in 1997. The Sims was released in February 2000, and the first previews are early 1999.

The Sims did not exist prior to Electronic Arts' acquiring the company, so saying "the fact that EA didn't come in until after the Sims series started" is wrong.

Name one great game to come from Europe. I can't. I can name many from North America, and many from Asia. But, none from Europe or other continents. It's not an attack on players from Europe; but from the European game industry if there even is one.

They named many. Simply because you don't think they're great games doesn't make them not great games.

Weird. For me it's the other way around. I almost always look forward to European games because they allow mature themes, have the guts to stray from the mainstream path and occasionally even try to invent new things. I love the Gothic games, Outcast, Omikron, Syberia, The Longest Journey, Fahrenheit, Far Cry (it's german, not french though), Boiling Point and a bunch of others. Lots of original games in that small heap of names I just mentioned.

North American developers all seem to follow the same (by now, quite boring) agenda. Hold the player's hand throughout the game, never allow anything unexpected (except for an occasional plot twist) and make sure noone is ever offended by anything. I get a lot of review copies from EA which might explain why boredom and stagnation is becoming the trademark for NA developers for me. Fortunately there are still games like Spore and The Movies on the horizon. After playing Jade Empire (and, tragically, KotOR2, which was 'inspired' by Bioware) I've all but given up on Bioware and their horribly predictable mainstream games. Also, there seems to be a 'dumbing down' trend in the NA market right now, especially easy to see in Jade Empire.

Japanese developers are way too weird for my taste. They seem to make a point of creating games that are totally insane, just for the sake of making them insane. Sometimes it works, like in Katamari Damacy, but most often it just ruins any potential gameplay that might be hidden behind the nonsense. I've gotten so many jRPG's that are unplayable because every 5 minutes you're fighting new super demons in a new dimension, using new gigantic robots with new 5 mile long tentacles.. in mini-dresses. Insane.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

"You're an ****, did you know that?"

This is true, and I did know that.

" Despite being good at modding."

You don't know this. No one knows this for sure but me, and those testers that have seen my pre finsihed mod in action have an idea of mys trengths and weaknesses as a moderator.

"Nationalism does not require countries."

Then explain my praising of Japanese games? I have no connection to Japan so why do I say positve things about them? Hmm...

Nationalism is about liking something simply because it's a certain nation is involved or disliking somehting ebcause a certain nation is involved. This isn't a case here. It's simply a perosnal fact for me that I have yet to see any Europena games that are an in the upper tier of games and said so.

"The Sims did not exist prior to Electronic Arts' acquiring the company, so saying "the fact that EA didn't come in until after the Sims series started" is wrong."

Better read more careful. Drakron was referring to Sim series ala Sim City and co not just THE Sims as we know them unless I read him wrong myself which makes us all doofuses.

"Weird. For me it's the other way around."

Nothing wrong with that. I disagree with you; but that isn't new for us so meh. :D

"They named many. Simply because you don't think they're great games doesn't make them not great games."

Just because they nadmed them greta doesn't make them great either. The games mentioned are at best okay at worst crappy at medium I ahven't played them so in essnece mean crap.

That is all.

P.S. Don't come crying to me, I did not bring 'nations' into this first - Drakron did.

That is all. Part 2.

Then explain my praising of Japanese games? I have no connection to Japan so why do I say positve things about them? Hmm...

I never said you were demonstrating Nationalism.

Nationalism is about liking something simply because it's a certain nation is involved or disliking somehting ebcause a certain nation is involved. This isn't a case here. It's simply a perosnal fact for me that I have yet to see any Europena games that are an in the upper tier of games and said so.

You seem to be confusing Nation with State. Nationalism does not require a country though.

Just because they nadmed them greta doesn't make them great either. The games mentioned are at best okay at worst crappy at medium I ahven't played them so in essnece mean crap.

Just because you haven't played the game, doesn't make it crap either. Just means that you haven't played the game. I find it odd how you can pass judgement on a game without playing it.

"I never said you were demonstrating Nationalism."

Okay then.

"You seem to be confusing Nation with State. Nationalism does not require a country though."

Okay then.

"Just because you haven't played the game, doesn't make it crap either. Just means that you haven't played the game. I find it odd how you can pass judgement on a game without playing it."

Everyone does, and before someoen claims to be an exception to this rule, I call baloney ebfore hand. We judge games, movies, and all other froms of entertainment before playing/watching/etc. them. It's how we determine to watch a movie like War of the Worlds or one like Cujo.

If a agme sin't worthy of me buying or playing then it isn't worthy of anything which means it is crap to me. If a game can't get me to buy it then it's not even close to being good.

I may dislike TOEE; but at leats it had something that made me want to try it. That's more than i can say for games I have no intention of ever playing.

That's not judgment. That's determining our expectations.

Stating that something IS crap is a judgement, and can only be determined after experiencing it. Thinking that something WILL be crap is an expectation.

But I'm sure you're capable of making sure that ALL good games are bought :)

Is a poorly marketted game crap? Many people think Geneforge is a great game, but it doesn't have the money to market it.

I may dislike TOEE; but at leats it had something that made me want to try it. That's more than i can say for games I have no intention of ever playing.

Because you aren't interested in a game doesn't make it crap. Especially when considering a discussion where people are mentioning games they enjoyed from around the world.

I mean, name me one good game from Japan?

Haha. Nice try. it's a good thing your opinion in this matter is irrelevant.

I already know it'll be:

I say FF; you say it's crap.

R00fles!

I win, you lose. :)

Bottom line is games I don't play suck. Period. By default.

And, oh, I played the Geneforge 'demo', and if the main game is anything like it which it is the game sucks. Heck, the graphics are the best thing about them. LOL