Jade Empire Bombed

Volourn

If you get it Eru, I'm so making a "play date" with you so I can give it a shot... (I don't have an XBOX :'( )

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

If you get it Eru, I'm so making a "play date" with you so I can give it a shot... (I don't have an XBOX :'( )

I don't either, I was gonna use a friend's.

That's the only reason I don't already have it, and a rental isn't all that practical (can't complete it in the given amount of time unless I decide to live at friend's house for a few days, and then they might not be a friend anymore :p ).

I've got a friend who would probably let me borrow his box (all he does is play his WoW acct and work)...

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Sorry, I'm calm now. Bad day, you know. :">

So the game wasn't that bad; I've played worse. But I've definitely played better. And you can't say the characters weren't extremely two-deminsional.

As for whether or not it was a financial bomb, it seems to have done very well. I can't deny that.

sig2.gif

"And you can't say the characters weren't extremely two-deminsional."

Yes, I can. They are deeper than most RPG npcs. Only PST, BG2, some npcs from Arcanum, from Ultima, and some FF npcs rival JE's npcs.

WOWSERS!

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"And you can't say the characters weren't extremely two-deminsional."

Yes, I can. They are deeper than most RPG npcs. Only PST, BG2, some npcs from Arcanum, from Ultima, and some FF npcs rival JE's npcs.

WOWSERS!

Please give me an example. And no, Zu doesn't count because like the others, he doesn't vary from the steriotype in any way. They're all exactly what you'd expect.

On second thought, I'll give you Death's Hand. Name another.

sig2.gif

Yes, but give me an example of their depth. Or can you?

You want mine? Dawn Star is the same caring best friend/girlfriend through the the same game, as is Silk Fox with her holier-than-thou act. Sky and Zu both have "secrets", but they're revealed within ten minutes of meeting them, so that doesn't leave much digging to the player. Kang can get away with being shallow, becuase he's the type of character that's so cool he doesn't need depth. And if you couldn't tell Master Li was going to betray you, try watching or playing any number of other movies and games. It's such a cliche. Dying was unique, but I can't say it was much fun. But I supose that part's just opinion.

sig2.gif

Do a search on the JE baords for my examples. That is all. This thread wa snever intended to attest to the (lack of) quality for JE; just the quetsion of whether it finanically bombed or not. There are tons of reviews - inclduing mine - in this mess of a board to read.

The bottom line is compared to most RPG npcs, JE's npcs are not shallow.

:):):)

Seriously Roshan, get a new keyboard.  I have one sitting here not being used, I will mail it to you.  Otherwie, fork out the $15 it costs to get another one.  Your posts are unreadable.

The proiblem is that im uising a laptoip... and I have a warranty which is oinly valid in euiroipe. Im in the Philippines noiw oini vacatioin, soi I will have toi wait 3 weeks uintil I goi back toii the UIIK and can have my laptoiip repaired.

I actuially have THREE woirking keyboiairds here buiit they all uise thoiise oild roiuind poirts which few laptoiips have. My laptoiip oinily has uisb poirts.

Yes, but give me an example of their depth.  Or can you?

as is Silk Fox with her holier-than-thou act.  Sky and Zu both have "secrets", but they're revealed within ten minutes of meeting them, so that doesn't leave much digging to the player. 

I really thought of Silk Fox as an elitist who's motivation is to undo the evils done by her father, and of course get you and possible Dawn Star also into the sack.

And the game did alot better job of making fun of Zu then you could ever

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Meh. Despite the fact I poked a little bit of fun at your i's; your posts ar every much readable. Youd' have to be blind not to be able to read.

There. I said something semi nice about My buddy Roshie. :)

Proof please. Once again, comapring JE to games like BG-NWN-KOTOR is silly as they have inbuilt audience to them.

500k sales is prettyd anr good, and I ahve yet to see ANY proof otherwise. It's so good that JE is very likely to get a sequel. R00fles!

Where's the proof that the game IS financially successful?

It's all just speculation.

Harking on sales numbers doesn't mean anything anyways. If I had a billion dollars to burn I could make the most uber-high production value game in the entire world, going 9 digits in cost. If I sell 500,000 units, it's most definitely a failure financially, assuming it sells fo the standard price of a game.

Proof is in the pudding anyways.

I liked KOTOR I alot. I liked KOTOR II even better.

However, JE is, IMO, a better game than either K1 or K2.

Anytime you break new ground, you have to understand that it may

flop or not do as well as you think it should.

This is how JE broke new ground:

* a Western-style cRPG with a very immersive story AND with real-time combat.

normally, you get one or the other.

* this is a new IP. NWNs and KOTOR had established franchises to

gloss over their weak points. JE does not...it is its own world and a rather

interesting one at that.

Now some would say that an RPG should not be a "twitch" game. Well, there

is a certain style of combat (transformation) that is a bit overpowered.

I believe this was done on purpose...it was a crutch for the old schoolers

who don't want to grind it out with real-time combat. For those that do want

to grind it out, well, they can handicap themselves and just not use that style.

I liked KOTOR I alot.  I liked KOTOR II even better.

However, JE is, IMO, a better game than either K1 or K2.

Anytime you break new ground, you have to understand that it may

flop or not do as well as you think it should.

This is how JE broke new ground:

* a Western-style cRPG with a very immersive story AND with real-time combat.

normally, you get one or the other.

* this is a new IP.  NWNs and KOTOR had established franchises to

gloss over their weak points.  JE does not...it is its own world and a rather

interesting one at that.

Now some would say that an RPG should not be a "twitch" game.  Well, there

is a certain style of combat (transformation) that is a bit overpowered.

I believe this was done on purpose...it was a crutch for the old schoolers

who don't want to grind it out with real-time combat.  For those that do want

to grind it out, well, they can handicap themselves and just not use that style.

Delving into China's ancient history and copying entire elements of this civilization can hardly be called groundbreaking. It is the same method of using established

world - the only difference is that ancient China was real while star wars or FR are pure fiction.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

I completely agree.

The storytelling wasn't groundbreaking, the story itself was weak, and the combat was weak.

The one thing they did well was create a beautiful world.  Too bad we saw very little of it.

Agreed.

As for all the LEs collecting dust, I hadn't even thought about that, which is odd because I walk past at least a hundred of them at Walmart.

sig2.gif