HK-47 in SW Galaxies game

Huh? How does being an ass about everything yield better results? At best it forces companies to close.

Oh, wait. I'm talking with the guy that wants the entire world to shut down. My mistake.

Really now, wouldn't you be happier telling a psychologist about all of this? At least he wouldn't flame you about it.

Oh, wait. A psychologist would charge you. My mistake.

My, am I sloppy today. :wub:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Huh? How does being an ass about everything yield better results? At best it forces companies to close.

Some companies deserve it.

Oh, wait. I'm talking with the guy that wants the entire world to shut down. My mistake.

Not the world, just the people on the world.

Really now, wouldn't you be happier telling a psychologist about all of this? At least he wouldn't flame you about it.

Tried that when I was a kid. Didn't help.

Oh, wait. A psychologist would charge you. My mistake.

Yes, they would and I wouldn't get a refund if their solutions failed, which they would anyway.

My, am I sloppy today.  :wub:

Yes, you are. :lol:

Then nothing will change and all you will get is crap.  That is your choice so I wash my hands of it.

Not sure how this has ANYTHING to do with what you wrote previously in this thread...but carry on your random comments.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

That's about on par with your contributions to the forum. :)

Your well thought out arguments aside, it's simply a case of Lucasarts being lazy and milking an established character instead of putting the effort into coming up with something new.

I would have figured you'd agree with those who dislike HK's addition since you then go on to say that nothing will change if no one complains, which contradicts your "they own SW, they can do whatever they want with it" comment.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

You try to keep your PC running for the next 4000 years and then tell me.  ;)

Not to mention that your PC doesn't get shot at regularly (I hope).

You're taking an Assasin Droid from the Star Wars galaxy and comparing it to a personal computer from around here.

Something build to kill any lifeform, organic or artificial, at a moment's notice (and survive combat) and...a personal computer

and no one said that HK-47 was supposed to have been active for the entire 4,000 years. He could have been in storage or found dismemebered it the wreckage of a 4,000-year-old republic freighter...

Honestly, in a universe where the Force, lightsabers, hyperspace travel, +20-ton spacecraft levitating off the ground, and war "droids" dropping from orbit and landing softly on the ground...are all entirely possible and considered somewhat normal....well....I'm willing to believe just about anything...

You're taking an Assasin Droid from the Star Wars galaxy and comparing it to a personal computer from around here.

Something build to kill any lifeform, organic or artificial, at a moment's notice (and survive combat) and...a personal computer

and no one said that HK-47 was supposed to have been active for the entire 4,000 years. He could have been in storage or found dismemebered it the wreckage of a 4,000-year-old republic freighter...

Honestly, in a universe where the Force, lightsabers, hyperspace travel, +20-ton spacecraft levitating off the ground, and war "droids" dropping from orbit and landing softly on the ground...are all entirely possible and considered somewhat normal....well....I'm willing to believe just about anything...

Sure. But metal still gets rusted there. They still use cables, chips, and that sort of stuff. The kind of stuff that melts with prolongued use. The kind of stuff that can't survive severe temperature changes, you know, that kind of stuff. ;)

47 got seriously wasted in a five year lapse. But yeah, I guess it could easily last for 4,000.

Honestly, I don't really care what kind of garbage they add to an already crappy game that I don't even own. But it's still a stupid idea, and I'm calling it. :)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Sure. But metal still gets rusted there. They still use cables, chips, and that sort of stuff. The kind of stuff that melts with prolongued use. The kind of stuff that can't survive severe temperature changes, you know, that kind of stuff.  :rolleyes:

47 got seriously wasted in a five year lapse. But yeah, I guess it could easily last for 4,000.

Honestly, I don't really care what kind of garbage they add to an already crappy game that I don't even own. But it's still a stupid idea, and I'm calling it.  :thumbsup:

We're talking about the Star Wars universe, here...You're mind is still in the real world.

Believe, it all sounds silly, I know. But the Star Wars universe is bizarr. They had lightsabers in the "ancient" times. It's a universe that is both more advanced and less advanced than our own. Remember the Rakata Droid in the ruins on Dantooine? That droid was over 10, 000 years old. Mind you, the little guy was in one spot the whole time, but didn't do a whole lot of moving around. We don't know how "their" technology works. The things that they have, the weapons they use, the droids, their spacecraft...that's all highly advanced, but the way that they live, and setting itself gives everything about the Star Wars universe a very antiquated feel.

Yes, metal around here rusts and whatnot, but they don't have the same periodic table that we have. They have highly advanced alloys that resist corrosion regardless of the environment or time spent in it.

It's a f***ed up world, I know. But just try to stay opened minded about all of this. After all...it's science fiction.

I would very much like to know if HK-47's inclusion in SW Galaxies was planned before the recent troubles that game has had. I don't have strong opinions for or against it, but it does smack somewhat of desperation, a need to win back fans, and quick. :rolleyes:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Thats sad, seeing people defending the inclusion of 4.000 old tech.

Serious, you dont think that pretty much EVERY SINGLE DROID that was build 100 years before the formation of the empire will be 10x more powerful that HK-47?

... Tools ....

drakron.png

Thats sad, seeing people defending the inclusion of 4.000 old tech.

Serious, you dont think that pretty much EVERY SINGLE DROID that was build 100 years before the formation of the empire will be 10x more powerful that HK-47?

... Tools ....

Shh... It's SW. Logic doesn't apply, remember? :rolleyes:

Space opera/fantasy.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

After all...it's science fiction.

It's actually not.

It has all the genre trappings of sci-fi. It is played on the Sci-Fi channel. It is categoried in the sci-fi section of DVDs.

Then again people argue whether Dances With Wolves is a western for years, but the movie wil always be sold in the Westerns section.

Science fiction primarily deals with the effects of actual science or technology applied in imaginary futures. Not just advanced technology for the its own sake, but future technology based on current premises. There aren't that many elements of Star Wars which would account as being extrapolations of current technology or science; and that it uses a few does not necessarily make the movies sci-fi. For a related example, see your own stance on RPGs and their hybrids: the use of some elements do not account for the same as using all of them.

As a genre classification, Star Wars strikes me as being closer to space opera or pulp. Some call it science fantasy even, which would seem apropos as for the most part it seems to create its own universe and rules of science then 'fantasize' about them, rather than pick up on current principles and expand them.

Yet most would say those are still sub-genres of sci-fi.

That is like saying Diablo is not an RPG because it isn't a hard-core RPG.

Star Trek has some of the worst science I've seen, yet I've never heard someone say that Star Trek isn't sci-fi.

Yet most would say those are still sub-genres of sci-fi.

Yet, despite sub-genres being a part of larger all-encompassing caregories, they are nonetheless different things.

That is like saying Diablo is not an RPG because it isn't a hard-core RPG.

Actually, it's like saying Diablo has RPG elements or is an RPG hybrid, but is not a hardcore RPG. Which is an entirely accurate way of classifying the game based on its differences and similarities to others of its genre, along with other genres as well.

Star Trek has some of the worst science I've seen, yet I've never heard someone say that Star Trek isn't sci-fi.

I'm not that knowledgeable of Star Trek, but if it does sport future applications of science based on current models, the quality of it is not at stake; only its existence as defining of the genre.

Genre arguments are meaningless and pointless.

That being said I consider Star Wars to be a space opera which acording to me is a subgenre of sci-fi and therefore sci-fi.

Also the argument about sci-fi haveing to be based on current science is in my opinion rather fishy as many works commonly considered sci-fi don't have that element and instead focus alot more on possible futures of social trends seen today. Take for example almost all cyberpunk/darkfuture litterature...

That being said I consider Star Wars to be a space opera which acording to me is a subgenre of sci-fi and therefore sci-fi.

Apparently, not so pointless considering you've resorted to using them.

Also the argument about sci-fi haveing to be based on current science is in my opinion rather fishy as many works commonly considered sci-fi don't have that element and instead focus alot more on possible futures of social trends seen today.

Sci-fi tends to deal with both imagined science and technology based on current one as well as its impact on future societies, actually; it doesn't deal exclusively with the former. Many sci-fi works effectively discuss the advances and their impacts on future societies.

Take for example almost all cyberpunk/darkfuture litterature...

Cyberpunk expanded on the ideas of cyberculture and cyberspace that existed during the time of its inception (the speed of technological progress, man vs. machine, man and machine, information, among other topics) and the (then) current idea of technology and what was possible. Today cyberpunk finds itself even more validated considering many of the imagined advances found in several works are currently being made in our present time.

Sure. But metal still gets rusted there. They still use cables, chips, and that sort of stuff. The kind of stuff that melts with prolongued use. The kind of stuff that can't survive severe temperature changes, you know, that kind of stuff.  :thumbsup:

Honestly, I don't really care what kind of garbage they add to an already crappy game that I don't even own. But it's still a stupid idea, and I'm calling it.  :*

We're talking about the Star Wars universe, here...You're mind is still in the real world.

Believe, it all sounds silly, I know. But the Star Wars universe is bizarr. They had lightsabers in the "ancient" times. It's a universe that is both more advanced and less advanced than our own. Remember the Rakata Droid in the ruins on Dantooine? That droid was over 10, 000 years old. Mind you, the little guy was in one spot the whole time, but didn't do a whole lot of moving around. We don't know how "their" technology works. The things that they have, the weapons they use, the droids, their spacecraft...that's all highly advanced, but the way that they live, and setting itself gives everything about the Star Wars universe a very antiquated feel.

Yes, metal around here rusts and whatnot, but they don't have the same periodic table that we have. They have highly advanced alloys that resist corrosion regardless of the environment or time spent in it.

It's a f***ed up world, I know. But just try to stay opened minded about all of this. After all...it's science fiction.

Marvin managed to live several complete lengths of the universe (admitedly he was pretty lame by the end).

Star Wars is a western/samurai/fantasy movie set in space, not a SCIENCE fiction. If it were SF then we would have that ****ty Parsecs line, or lasers that are visible in a vacuum, or sound in a vacuum.

You forgot teleportation and inhabitable worlds within several hours' travel.

Also the argument about sci-fi haveing to be based on current science is in my opinion rather fishy as many works commonly considered sci-fi don't have that element and instead focus alot more on possible futures of social trends seen today. Take for example almost all cyberpunk/darkfuture litterature...

I always considered the spectrum to reach from Fantasy (Tolkien et alia) through Science Fantasy (including the romantic

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Marvin managed to live several complete lengths of the universe (admitedly he was pretty lame by the end).

Well, you know how it goes. First one arm needs replacing, then a few years later the head gets replaced, then the processors go and the droid consciousness is downloaded onto new hardware, then the legs get upgraded. Of course, it's still the same old HK, except that there's no material of the original left.

As for the definition of science fiction debate, most bookshops are sensible enough to have a combined sci-fi/fantasy section and avoid the whole issue. :thumbsup:

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)