Fruit of the Loom

EnderAndrew

I think swedish beef is quite good too, considering we have strict laws about how to treat animals and what they can eat (hormones not allowed, like they are in the US and many other countries!). Unfortunately, this makes swedish meat extremely expensive and I often end up buying cheap meat from Ireland or Holland instead.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

in other words, after reading that article and some of the related information, there is no scientific reason for the hormone ban, so the EU continues it against WTO authority?

i'm curious if anybody actually obeys the WTO anymore? further, does anybody actually ever research the hormone thing to prove a link to bad things, or is it just knee-jerk hype that "hormones MUST be bad, ahhhh!" whithout hype, critical thinkers would just be normal.

gooseberries, yay. never knew that.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

in other words, after reading that article and some of the related information, there is no scientific reason for the hormone ban, so the EU continues it against WTO authority?

i'm curious if anybody actually obeys the WTO anymore?  further, does anybody actually ever research the hormone thing to prove a link to bad things, or is it just knee-jerk hype that "hormones MUST be bad, ahhhh!"  whithout hype, critical thinkers would just be normal.

In fact the article says that hormones have been proven a health hazard by 40 years of evidence. Pay attention.

N

In fact the article says that hormones have been proven a health hazard by 40 years of evidence. Pay attention.

Don't even bother with him, just as he didn't bother to read the article. He's just one of those Bush fanboi's that takes every little negative detail about anything concerning his homeland as a grave personal insult (even though this is a western problem and not a USA problem).

By the way, there's a not much talked about anomaly in almost every western country right now that is suspected to be caused by hormones in our food, called "precocious puberty".

"Commercial beef and pasteurised dairy products consistently have the highest levels of persistent hormone disruptors. As of 1995, the US Food and Drug Administration allowed the use of implanted hormonal agents for raising beef cattle. These include the female hormones oestradiol and progesterone, the synthetic progesterone norgestomet, the male hormone testosterone and the synthetic anabolic steroids trenbolene and Zeranol. Growth agents that do not have to be implanted include a progestin that can be added to the animals' feed. Animals given these hormonal agents are not required to go through a withdrawal period prior to slaughter. Indeed, the FDA does not require mandatory recording of medication or treatment of animals destined for our plates.

Three natural hormones (oestradiol-17

I find California stores have a much greater variety in produce in general.

Nebraska just has the best beef in the country, and arguably the world.

Nope. Argentinian beef is world-reknown (I haven't tried it, so I can only report.)

Also I would argue that Australian beef is the best in the world: initally it was too lean for the Japanese market, so they had to specially breed cattle that had more marbling (fat) in the muscle (to crack that market).

Australian and New Zealand food is regarded as the least poluted (by growth hormones and antiseptics for parasite retardation).

The freshest food has got to be Antartic fish, though it's a little difficult to get ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The freshest food has got to be Antartic fish, though it's a little difficult to get ...

Of course, it wouldnt taste very good at all. Antarctic sea animals produce a chemical resembling antifreeze to allow them to survive the low temperature extremes. I havent tried it personally, but Ive heard the chemical ruins the flavor of the meat.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

Don't even bother with him, just as he didn't bother to read the article. He's just one of those Bush fanboi's that takes every little negative detail about anything concerning his homeland as a grave personal insult (even though this is a western problem and not a USA problem).

By the way, there's a not much talked about anomaly in almost every western country right now that is suspected to be caused by hormones in our food, called "precocious puberty".

"Commercial beef and pasteurised dairy products consistently have the highest levels of persistent hormone disruptors. As of 1995, the US Food and Drug Administration allowed the use of implanted hormonal agents for raising beef cattle. These include the female hormones oestradiol and progesterone, the synthetic progesterone norgestomet, the male hormone testosterone and the synthetic anabolic steroids trenbolene and Zeranol. Growth agents that do not have to be implanted include a progestin that can be added to the animals' feed. Animals given these hormonal agents are not required to go through a withdrawal period prior to slaughter. Indeed, the FDA does not require mandatory recording of medication or treatment of animals destined for our plates.

Three natural hormones (oestradiol-17

DENMARK!

It appears that I have not yet found a sig to replace the one about me not being banned... interesting.

Would you guys calm down about Taks? Sheesh.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Yes, please refrain from personal attacks on other members. I find taks a remarkably well informed and reasonable poster. He's opinionated, sure. ...But so are the rest of us. Please continue the fuit discussion while this thread still has life in it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Things like mad cow disease+the US's horrible non-responsible minded industries worries me more than hormone additives.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Scrapie has existed everywhere for decades.

But, yeah, it is quite possible that there is an undocumented Bovine Spongiform Encephelopathy epidemic in the US, though I wouldn't want to say that on a public forum lest I get sued for libel ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

It is less the fact it exists and more the fact that the US is horribly lax about testing for it/rooting it out if discovered. Cuts into profits and company marketability y'know... <_<

From Consumer Reports:

Is it safe to eat U.S. beef?

Since the Department of Agriculture currently tests only 1 percent of all cows slaughtered in the U.S., compared with 25 percent in Europe and 100 percent in Japan, we do not have reliable information on the safety of beef in this country. Until more information is available, individuals need to make a judgment about their risk tolerance, according to Consumers Union

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

You know, folks are absolutely silly about mad cow disease. What are the chances of getting mad cow disease as opposed to other forms of food poisoning? What about driving? Do the people who rail about mad cow disease drive every day? ...And yet your chances of dying in a traffic related accident are astronomically higher than your chances of contracting mad cow disease.

The fact is that we cannot remove all risk from our lives and it makes no sense to pretend that spending ourselves into poverty will result in zero risk.

I'm not attacking you, LadyCrimson. You have a right to your cares and concerns. Sometimes our cares are completely warranted and sometimes they are not. I despise roaches of any kind, probably as a result of living with roaches in my impoverished youth. (Some of the roaches were two legged, just as an aside.) So, I have a strong aversion to them and hate them. ...But it's not as if they should generate so much anxiety in my life.

I'm not saying mad cow disease isn't an important issue or that we should ignore it. What I am saying is that it's easy to point the finger over here at the United States of America, but it doesn't mean that your way is better. I just had steak tonight. I have beef quite a bit. I'm more worried about E.coli.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

Singapore has the greatest variety of fruits in the world, I think.  I went to a cafe, and the list of different possible milkshakes covered a whole wall.

I wonder if that fruit costume was designed not to look like anything in order to get people talking about it, thus increasing the effectiveness of the advert.

Really? Never seen that before...

P.S. Please change your sig Jodo. The website URL in the middle spoils the whole thing.

It occurs to me that we're off topic. How much topic can the fruit of the loom fruit generate?

Maybe this should be the mad cow/generic fruit thread?

Obsidian Plays

I think you misunderstood the thrust of my postings.

Someone mentioned the dangers of hormones in our meat. I merely said I was more concerned over the seeming lack of industry concern vs. profit in the US over mad cow than I am over something like hormones.

I've said I eat beef before. I like beef. I don't go wildly out of my way to avoid it. I'm not a disease-paranoid lifestyle person. But neither do I discount the information at hand and ignore potential turns for the 'worse' in terms of current reasonable risk just because 'all life is risk'.

I think it's because mad cow disease is such a horrible disease that people are worried. I mean, we have no cure for it and if you got it today, it would probably take 10 years before anyone (even yourself) noticed. It leads to an extremely painful and degrading death.

I actually had no idea that the US government didn't test for mad cow disease. I'm glad I'm eating mostly swedish meat now :huh:

http://organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

Fair enough, fellows. It's one of those things that really suck. You don't want to give up beef, but you always wonder what you're going to get. Hell, you have to worry about the randomness of life all the time these days. Beef. Water. Car accidents. Hell, each other. What can we do? There're too many things we have to track these days. There are too many things that distract us. What's worse, not knowing what the perils are, or knowing the perils, such as mad cow disease, and not being able to do much about it?

Obsidian Plays

There's reasonable part-of-life risk and there's risk that could've been lessened/prevented if money & politics wasn't such an issue all the time. That's what annoys me...not the general, abstract risk of life's dangers itself.

I think it's because mad cow disease is such a horrible disease that people are worried. I mean, we have no cure for it and if you got it today, it would probably take 10 years before anyone (even yourself) noticed. It leads to an extremely painful and degrading death.

I actually had no idea that the US government didn't test for mad cow disease. I'm glad I'm eating mostly swedish meat now :ermm:

http://organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

The article didn't say that we don't test, but rather that testing is inadequate. You seem to misquote articles to further slant anti-US sentiments.

It should also be noted we don't have cases of mad-cow disease popping up in humans. Mad cow disease is also only an issue when cows are being fed meat from chopped-up cows.

The article didn't say that we don't test, but rather that testing is inadequate.  You seem to misquote articles to further slant anti-US sentiments.

They're testing 1%. That means 1 out of 100 cows. To me that's like not testing at all. Mad cow disease is not an epidemic, it doesn't spread easily, so the chances of finding one of the sick cows are extremely limited. BUT.. it only takes ONE sick cow to contaminate vast amounts of meat (depending on how they're being slaugthered). I did not deliberately slant anti-US sentiments, I just figured that everyone would agree with 1% being so useless it could be equated to nothing.

It should also be noted we don't have cases of mad-cow disease popping up in humans.

"Inadequate testing of the brains of U.S. cattle is likely missing hundreds of cases of BSE and inadequate testing of the brains of human dementia victims is likely missing hundreds of cases of the human spongiform encephalopathy, sporadic Creutzfeldt Jakob disease.".

Yeah, I guess not testing for a disease is the same as not having it. But I'm just slanting again, right?

Mad cow disease is also only an issue when cows are being fed meat from chopped-up cows.

"The United States is violating all four concrete recommendations laid down by the World Health Organization to prevent the spread of BSE (Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy), or Mad Cow disease, into the human population."

"WHO Recommendation #1: Stop Feeding Infected Animals to Other Animals"

"WHO Recommendation #3: Stop Feeding Bovine Brains, Eyes, Spinal Cords, & Intestines to People or Livestock"

Well, apparently they do just that.

Source: http://organicconsumers.org/madcow/greger12304.cfm