Fruit of the Loom

EnderAndrew

I think it's because mad cow disease is such a horrible disease that people are worried. I mean, we have no cure for it and if you got it today, it would probably take 10 years before anyone (even yourself) noticed. It leads to an extremely painful and degrading death.

I actually had no idea that the US government didn't test for mad cow disease. I'm glad I'm eating mostly swedish meat now :blink:

http://organicconsumers.org/madcow.htm

People don't get Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease). There's been discussion about people eating meat from a cow infected by BSE to possibly develop Creutzfeld-Jacobs Disease, and people have labelled it as human madcow. However there's minimal evidence that actually indicates that people can get vCJD from eating cows with BSE. The big question mark is that places that consider cow brains a delicacy (where it's supposed to be most likely for the disease to "transfer" to a human) have not reported an increase in vCJD outbreaks.

And even still, vCJD has still been found in patients that have been vegetarians.

How many people have been killed by "mad cow disease?" I think that most of the hype is large enough, that it's just that...hype.

People don't get Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (mad cow disease).

You are free to choose to disregard whatever scientific report you want. But when you state a thing like this, I assume you have something that backs it up? Because I can find plenty of reports that say the opposite.

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/vcjd/qa.htm

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

My source was the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service.

The link was http://www.aphis.usda.gov/lpa/issues/bse/bse-overview.html but I can't seem to get it to work anymore. I'm not sure if they retracted the statement or if it's just because many of the links on their website seem FUBAR'd at the moment (clicking on About APHIS from their homepage works, but not from their Search page).

I found a link to a George A Venters article here as well as here.

I also base my conclusions on a stunning lack of increase of vCJD that was predicted by the CDC, particularly in proportion to the outbreak of BSE in England. Doubly so in places that consider cow brains to be a delicacy (which would result in maximal exposure to BSE).

I found one article here that was an interesting read, but many of its reference links are now dead. It was an early 2004 article, so perhaps things have changed in the past year. Which would also explain my ignorance since I don't follow on the BSE hoopla much anymore.

In fact, given what I've learned of BSE and its suspected transmittability, I'd probably still eat a steak from a cow in spite of knowledge that it had BSE, since even the CDC comments that muscle has never been reproducibly shown to contain the infectious agent in any form of spongiform encephalopathy, whatever the affected species.

Having said that, it's possible new research has changed things, and even then, you could still argue through semantics that vCJD isn't exactly the same as BSE, so you don't get BSE :blink:

Hehehe.

On the topic of Alberta, depending on who you ask, Alberta has the best beef in the world.

I think that if most people were to compare beef, few would really be able to tell the difference however.

My wife is from Edmonton. Ask her about Omaha beef. She has had both, and swears by Omaha steaks.

I'm telling you that I have travelled all over the country. Many 5 star places have served me rather crappy steaks, and people don't seem to know the difference. The only places that I've gotten really good steaks in, all import their beef from Omaha.

Did you actually inquire as to where they get their steaks from?

I have never actually checked to see where any of my steaks come from, although the local restaurants assure us of having Alberta beef, and those are the ones I've enjoyed the most.

My brother's exchange student from Quebec also agreed :blink:

I do inquire about steaks.

Nebraska has pretty ****ty seafood obviously, and I really miss the Mexican food I got in California. But when I leave Nebraska, I really miss the steak.

To give you an idea, Nebraska fillets don't require a knife. You can cut them with a fork. Often when I introduce someone to a good, Nebraska fillet mignon cooked properly, they describe it as orgasmic.

It melts in your mouth and has plenty of flavor to boot. As fillet has very little fat, it supposedly lacks flavor. Yet a properly cooked fillet does have a very good flavor, but it doesn't come from fat.

I personally recommend grilling the steaks at a high temperature over a wood-burning flame, mesquite specifically. The outer skin of the steak will sear, trapping in all the juices. Meanwhile the mesquite wood will smoke the steak.

I take steak seriously the way the English take tea seriously.

I take both steak and tea seriously. Steak should be seared in good butter, 1.5 minutes each side at a high flame. Most flavours in meat are fat soluble, and this helps them along.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I'm sure your heart thanks you :D

With the women in my life, my heart has enough enemies right now.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.