New Marvel Comics RPG Announced

funcroc

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050729/laf023.html

Activision Expands Alliance Through New Licensing Agreement With Marvel

Activision Granted Exclusive Rights to Develop and Publish Non-Persistent Role Playing Game for Console and PC Based on the Collective Universe of Marvel's Super Hero Characters

SANTA MONICA, Calif. and NEW YORK, July 29 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Activision, Inc. (Nasdaq: ATVI - News) extends license with Marvel Enterprises (NYSE: MVL - News) to expand their long-term, broad-based strategic alliance through an additional license agreement for a non-persistent role playing game (RPG).

Under the terms of the deal Activision is granted the exclusive rights to develop and publish cross property non-persistent role playing games (RPG) that utilize a broad, "ensemble cast" of characters from the Marvel Universe. The agreement, expected to further strengthen Activision's leadership position in the Super Hero genre, covers both the console and PC arenas. The first game under the new agreement is expected to be released in fiscal 2007.

"We are proud of the success we have had with games based on the Marvel licenses," states Ron Doornink, Chairman, Activision Publishing, Inc. "This agreement further strengthens and helps to solidify our position as the number one publisher of Super Hero games."

Ames Kirshen, Vice President of Interactive at Marvel Enterprises said, "We have had tremendous success with Activision through the licensing of individual characters and groups such as Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four. Rather than focusing on just one character, this unique license enables Activision to develop role playing games that tap a broader base of characters from Marvel's expansive universe. We look forward to an even more successful future with Activision."

I guess the Non-Persistent adjectival clause in the statement "... Activision Granted Exclusive Rights to Develop and Publish Non-Persistent Role Playing Game for Console and PC Based on the Collective Universe of Marvel's Super Hero Characters ..." means it won't be the competitor to City of Heroes that was mooted previously.

It could be very good, or very bad.

If it is New Jersey, then perhaps the devs will make some statement (or give a hint) ...

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Ohno, don't even hint at it being Project New Jersey! I'd have to kick a kitten if it turned out to be true! I can't think of a less interesting setting than the Marvel universe.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

If its a CRPG and not a MMO, Ill get my filthy little hands all over it as soon as it comes out :D

I liek mutants :ermm:

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I think I like City of Heroes' concept better. I'm one of those people that likes to create a brand new character when playing a game, not using one that already exists within the universe.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I havent got a clue, Im hoping that it means a single-player RPG

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

What's a non-persistent RPG?

I think it means no MMO play. I always took "persistent world" to imply that the world was ongoing, such as an online game would be since people would be playing at different times.

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

If its a CRPG and not a MMO, Ill get my filthy little hands all over it as soon as it comes out :D

I doubt it's going to be a CRPG as I'd call one. Somehow, I think there's more chances of it being a console-driven action game with stats with yon standard choice between premade characters in the Marvel Universe, in this case of the mutant variety.

...a console-driven action game...

Words to strike fear into the heart. :ph34r:

I can't imagine that this is PNJ, since the deal for that was obviously signed a while ago. Could be wrong, of course. But you know a new Marvel game is going to be less 'hmmm, interesting character, difficult moral choices', and more 'ooh, cool powers, boom!!!'

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

I wish a greenie could come by and confirm this isn't PNJ. I mean, would it hurt to rule out ONE of a billion possibilities?

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Um...I know I'm probably going to get flamed for asking such a stupid question because I'm clueless on this but, aren't they talking about Activision and Marvel? Does Activision own Obsidian or something? Has Obsidian entered into some sort of a deal with Marvel as well?

Otherwise I can't see how this announcement would have anything to do with Project New Jersey. They're talking about Activision. This is Obsidian Entertainment.

Did I miss something?

Activision is a publisher (although I think they may have in house studios too).

They're the type of place that Obsidian would go to release their game.

If I'm not mistaken, I think Project New Jersey's publisher is Activision, just like Lucasarts was KOTOR2's publisher.

I wish a greenie could come by and confirm this isn't PNJ. I mean, would it hurt to rule out ONE of a billion possibilities?

On the flipside, it WOULD be considered yet another quality "known" title under Obsidian's belt. With KOTOR2 and NWN2, that would make 3 straight "known" settings.

If that's the case, hopefully their 4th title will finally be their original IP.

After rereading the opening post I think this game is leaning towards something along the lines of a team like the Avengers. Now if DC came out with a Legion of Super Heroes game in response...

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

On the one hand, this would explain why nothing in the PNJ fora has been announced yet. (The deal wasn't signed sealed and delivered. )

On the other hand, would Feargie sign onto a deal with Activision where the rights weren't completely accquired yet. (I think he might, on the one hand, it's not the safest move, on the other hand, Activision has a track record with marvel, and it's another Slam Dunk. )

Also, when does Xmen Legends 2 come out, if it comes out say, late '05 early '06, I think it's definitely a possibility that PNJ is Xmen Legends 3.

Also, when does Xmen Legends 2 come out, if it comes out say, late '05 early '06, I think it's definitely a possibility that PNJ is Xmen Legends 3.

Wouldn't that sort of imply a sequel ? One of the few *known* things about PNJ is, it isn't a sequel (or some developer just lost a lot of influence points).

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

The major problem with working a video game into marvel is trying to fit it into Continuity. I have enough trouble trying to deal with Kyle Katarn being in some books and such. I'd prefer not to have a Captain America in a comic who mentions having turned some new guy into crap during the events of the video games. (just so folks know Marvel runs on a wierd time scale where about 7 years worth of comics is 1 year in the lives of the hero's) Also theirs trying to keep All 1000+ comics PER CHARICTER strait. XML got away with it because they could ignore some things that happened in the comics. Storm being a vampire for 2 books and the fact that nightcrawler could barly port for a long long time come to mind. (for those BAMPF freaks out there he's doing semibetter with kitty raising Collosus's little sister, he can port short distances but not very quickly). I think the game might, just might, be able to get away with this sort of thing but you never know because they might also set it in the Ultimates universe.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

THis sounds...interesting at least. Especially if it really released to PC. It would be so much more easier for ACtivision to go the normal route and make a multi-console game, dismissing PC as a platform. But this is developed on PC too. Interesting. Could be a worthy title.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds