Kotor 3: Ideas and Suggestions

Wouldn't that list of planets ignore the fact that Revan and the Exile went into the Unknown Regions, though?

Personally, I was thinking it'd be more interesting if Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III took the "Unknown Regions" opportunity to allow for the player to visit planets potentially never before even seen or spoken of in the rest of the Expanded Universe, rather than simply going to already-known worlds within the boundaries of the rest of the Expanded Universe's exploration.

Agreed. The Sith planet should be new.

Why would Sith worlds like Khar Delba (and Khar Shian) or Ziost be outer rim worlds? It's true that the fleet of Empress Teta followed Naga Sadow back to the Sith empire, but note how the name of the system they went to is never mentioned in "Fall of the Sith Empire" - there is nothing to suggest the Republic has any knowledge of worlds like Ziost.

The fact that the Daragons were held captive on Ziost proves nothing, since they were taken there as prisoners and taken away by Naga Sadow in secret.

Khar Delba could be known, since Jori escaped to the Republic from there (and so would have the hyperspace coordinates), except everyone ignores her warnings and the ship is confiscated before anyone can copy the logs (indeed, it seems unlikely anyone obtained them, since Ssk Kahorr appeared very interested in keeping the matter secret so he could use the ship to explore the hyperspace routes for his own benefit alone).

Korriban is obviously known, but note what Kreia says at the end of KotOR2, when she tells the Exile about Revan:

"It is because he remembered what lay buried here - this place, its teachings. It paved the way to Korriban, you know, the remnants here. And he came because Malachor, like Korriban, lies on the fringes of the ancient Sith Empire, where the true Sith wait for us, in the dark."

So clearly Kreia is referring to the Sith Empire that Naga Sadow was the dark lord of and more than suggests that they threat of the "true" Sith comes from there. And the central world of that empire is Ziost until otherwise established.

Don't forget that just because we've heard about these worlds in Star Wars canon (or EU), that doesn't mean that they are known to the Republic.

Rebels just realized that unimportant things like shields and structural integrity were useful? :D

Although I suppose the Imperials did have the mass assault doctrine, which the TIE series are probably more appropriate for.  But still, can you imagine being an Imperial Pilot and being told you're assigned to a TIE Fighter.  To hits and you're dead!

The Tie Fighter is a lot like the Japanese Zero. It's meant to use it's agility rather than to absorb damage. Unless you knew how to fight a Zero you were likely going to die even if your plane was armoured.

No incentive in the world to make you a better pilot than knowing you are dead if you get hit. On the other hand if you have shields you may get compacent in your flying skills.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Never! I refuse....lalalallalalallalaa

In a universe where shields exist, and they seemingly can be put on anything, it sure does suck to not have any ;)

I think it'd be better for morale if they at least had a token deflector, at least to say "your life is worth protecting" from the Empire :D

From a financial standpoint, when you have far more ships, you may not want to put shields on all of them.

If you play TIE vs X-Wing, you'll find both have their advantages. A TIE's speed and manueverability make it far harder to hit in the first place.

Plus, the Empire never believed a war would be won or lost with fighters. They were all about capital ships, which always got shields.

From a financial standpoint, when you have far more ships, you may not want to put shields on all of them.

If you play TIE vs X-Wing, you'll find both have their advantages.  A TIE's speed and manueverability make it far harder to hit in the first place.

Plus, the Empire never believed a war would be won or lost with fighters.  They were all about capital ships, which always got shields.

Yeah, that's why the rebels could blow up 2 Death Stars. The Rebel cruisers at the second Death star were only there for target practice. They really didn't accomplish anything else.

Master Vandar lives!

That's how the Empire saw it, yes, but it also cost them a lot of pilots who switched to the other side.

If you play TIE vs X-Wing, you'll find both have their advantages.  A TIE's speed and manueverability make it far harder to hit in the first place.

Plus, the Empire never believed a war would be won or lost with fighters.  They were all about capital ships, which always got shields.

Yes and no. Capital ships are important (we all want our own Star Destroyer, go on and admit it ;) ), but the empire believed in overwhelming the enemy with superior numbers rather than superior technology. I believe it says somewhere that TIE fighters are always supposed to work in groups of no less than three, and that they counted three TIEs for every X-wing... That might have been from one of the X-wing games, though.

They eventually understood and through shields on their new ships, like the TIE Defender!

You only got one of those by being an elite pilot already though. I suppose it guards against the odd accidental laser blast. Normally I would just bottom out the shields anyway and overcharge the weapons.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Heh, my newbie ways would always put guns and shields on "increased"

Especially in the TIE Defender.  It's so bloody fast anyways.

It was teh r0x0r

The defender was a hell of a ship. Flying alongside Darth Vader is one of those video game highlight moments.

I played Tie Fighter before X-Wing so X-Wing never really held the same appeal.

478327[/snapback]

I played X-Wing first.....but I sucked at it.

I was good at TIE Fighter first (plus it was the first game I ever played with my new l33t SoundBlaster 8-bit sound card!!!!!).

I prefer TIE Fighter personally :p

I prefer TIE Fighter personally :)

Me too, suits my flying style more.

Although you cant really beat "headlight duels" at night in training planes (well unless you have an army sized budget anyway).

478327[/snapback]

I was all about TIE vs X-Wing, and I also enjoyed X-Wing Alliance.

X-Wing Alliance ruled!

Too bad they wouldn't let Totally Games continue to do them... :)

They then went and did Star Trek: Bridge Commander, which also rocks (though for totally different reasons) and is without a doubt the best Star Trek game ever (not that it says much...) in my book. Then that, too, was killed, despite its success... :angry:

yes thrawn was booted for several years.

Anyway, I find it odd that on the galactic map Ratakan was in the MIDDLE of the starfield. if it's supposed to be the outer rim wouldn't it be on the outside? or are they doing that for Asthetic reason?

Maybe the galactic diagram was side-on.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Why would Sith worlds like Khar Delba (and Khar Shian) or Ziost be outer rim worlds? It's true that the fleet of Empress Teta followed Naga Sadow back to the Sith empire, but note how the name of the system they went to is never mentioned in "Fall of the Sith Empire" - there is nothing to suggest the Republic has any knowledge of worlds like Ziost.

The fact that the Daragons were held captive on Ziost proves nothing, since they were taken there as prisoners and taken away by Naga Sadow in secret.

Khar Delba could be known, since Jori escaped to the Republic from there (and so would have the hyperspace coordinates), except everyone ignores her warnings and the ship is confiscated before anyone can copy the logs (indeed, it seems unlikely anyone obtained them, since Ssk Kahorr appeared very interested in keeping the matter secret so he could use the ship to explore the hyperspace routes for his own benefit alone).

Korriban is obviously known, but note what Kreia says at the end of KotOR2, when she tells the Exile about Revan:

"It is because he remembered what lay buried here - this place, its teachings. It paved the way to Korriban, you know, the remnants here. And he came because Malachor, like Korriban, lies on the fringes of the ancient Sith Empire, where the true Sith wait for us, in the dark."

So clearly Kreia is referring to the Sith Empire that Naga Sadow was the dark lord of and more than suggests that they threat of the "true" Sith comes from there. And the central world of that empire is Ziost until otherwise established.

Don't forget that just because we've heard about these worlds in Star Wars canon (or EU), that doesn't mean that they are known to the Republic.

Well, to be honest, I wasn't referring to your choices of Ziost and Khar Delba (I haven't actually heard of those worlds), so much as the inclusion of Alderaan and Sleheyron on your list. Personally, I've been thinking of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III taking place in the Unknown Regions for more than just its finale, and I think it would be more interesting to take such an opportunity to allow players to explore planets never before seen or heard of, rather than simply visiting worlds which fans of the Expanded Universe are already familiar with (like Alderaan or Sleheyron).

You know... for some odd reason, I think that a game called "Knights of the Old Republic should take place in the Old Republic, not in some obscure comic geekfest whose actual relation to Star Wars is purely coincidental. :thumbsup:)

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I strongly agree that the X-Wing and TIE Fighter games were superb. I played TIE Fighter before X-Wing, but didn't really mind going back to lesser graphics and functionality. Both games consumed heaps of spare time in my youth, and Alliance carried that tradition on. It'd be absolutely Schmarthtastic if they were to make a new, large, enhanced version with campaigns for both the Rebs and the Imps. Damnit, why did you get me started? I want this game NOW!

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

You know... for some odd reason, I think that a game called "Knights of the Old Republic should take place in the Old Republic, not in some obscure comic geekfest whose actual relation to Star Wars is purely coincidental.  :))

Agreed. :thumbsup:

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds