Portable Gaming Illegal in Greece

September 03, 2002, 12:55 BST

I don't quite understand. Is this still in effect and what is/was the reasoning behind it?

admitted it was incapable of distinguishing innocuous video games from illegal gambling machines.
doesn't quite cut it.

I noted the article was 3 years old. Right now I don't know if the law is in effect, but I might be able to find out with a bit of research. Even if the law has since been repealed, or deemed unenforceable, I think it's screwed up to pass the law in the first place.

What harm does a portable Tetris game really have on society?

You saw this on a certain web site comic didn't you, Ender?

It's really old hat.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

That is possibly the dumbest law ever, excepting these 25 (in no particular order):

1. Los Angeles - Zoot suits are prohibited.

2. Chico, California - Detonating a nuclear device within city limits shall result in a $500 fine. (One of my personal favorites.)

3. New Mexico - Idiots may not vote. <-- I actually rather agree with this one, but it would probably disqualify too many people.

4. Indian Wells, California - Drinking intoxicating cement is prohibited.

5. Kansas - If two trains meet on the same track, neither shall proceed until the other has passed.

6. Alaska - It is considered an offense to push a live moose out of a moving airplane.

7. San Francisco - Persons classified as "ugly" may not walk down any street.

8. Daytona Beach, Florida - The molestation of trash cans is banned.

9. New York - The penalty for jumping off a building is death. (Another of my favorites.)

10. Chicago - Law forbids eating in a building currently on fire.

11. Texas - A recently passed anticrime law requires criminals to give their victims 24 hours notice, either orally or in writing, and to explain the nature of the crime to be committed.

12. Lenior County, Tennessee - When you pull up to a stop sign, you must fire a gun out the window to warn horse carriages that you are coming.

13. York, United Kingdom - Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

14. Marshalltown, Iowa - Horses shall not eat fire hydrants.

15. Texarkana, Texas - Owners of horses may not ride them at night without tail lights.

16. Athens-Clarke County, Georgia - Goldfish may not be given away to entice someone to enter a game of bingo.

17. Liverpool - It is illegal for a woman to be topless in public except as a clerk in a tropical fish store. :thumbsup:

18. Whitehall, Montana - It is illegal to operate a vehicle with ice picks attached to the wheels.

19. Louisiana - Biting someone with your natural teeth is "simple assault," while biting someone with your false teeth is "aggravated assault."

20. Kansas - Rabbits may not be shot from motorboats.

21. Ohio - It is illegal to get a fish drunk.

22. Oklahoma - Dogs must have a permit signed by the mayor in order to congregate in groups of three or more on private property.

23. Pacific Grove, California - It is illegal to molest butterflies.

24. United Kingdom - A license is required to keep a lunatic.

25. Texas - The department shall develop and administer a program awarding matching grants to political subdivisions of this state for weather modification and control.

And I find it kind of funny

I find it kind of sad

The dreams in which I'm dying

Are the best I've ever had

I had a book of weird laws. The preface said that before the advent of radio, most people got their news from newspapers, and there was a poor flow of information around the country.

When people were campaigning for office, they'd say I passed X laws this year, and so long as they passed several laws they'd get reelected. So tons of silly laws were passed just to pass something.

I've seen laws forbidding whale hunting in Oklahoma, and sleeping with virgins in Washington, etc. etc.

Who writes these laws? It sounds weirder than a Burton and Lynch movie combined.

It's one of those laws that gets outdated by technology. It even made it onto a BBC holiday program a while ago.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Anyone feel like getting bounty hunter licenses and hunting people who break these laws?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Greece is currently the undisputed king of stupid laws in Europe, anyone remember that german cartoonist who was sentenced to two years in his abscence for drawing jesus on a surf board? AND they tried to whore EU anti-terrorist laws to get him extradited!!

The stupidest law we had in Sweden was that it was punishable by death to say you didnt believe in god. This was in effect until 1890. There was also a strict law that everyone had to attend church on Sundays no matter if they had to travel a hundred kilometers through the woods in -20C temperatures

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Guest GroinOfDespair
Greece is currently the undisputed king of stupid laws in Europe, anyone remember that german cartoonist who was sentenced to two years in his abscence for drawing jesus on a surf board? AND they tried to whore EU anti-terrorist laws to get him extradited!!

The stupidest law we had in Sweden was that it was punishable by death to say you didnt believe in god. This was in effect until 1890. There was also a strict law that everyone had to attend church on Sundays no matter if they had to travel a hundred kilometers through the woods in -20C temperatures

That's typical of the establishment to force their brand of appeasement in the form of religion upon you. Simply accept what big brother tells you.

Greece made games illegal, because they only want you to have as much enjoyment as they dole out in carefully selected price-points. Dealers don't like competition.

This. Is. Old.

And no longer in effect, naturally.

It all started 3 years ago when the Government was in the middle of its "war against illegal gambling" (mainly because things were so screwed up in all areas that they decided to do something about the most irrelevant to the lives of simple people issue) and in a moment of truly brilliant logic decided to enact a law in which it stated that internet cafes and other stuff related to them will be banned.

Naturally this caused huge protests, and the Internet cafe owner leagues took this to court and won all trials. This resulted to the law being declared "anti-constitutional" and abolished, the government becoming even more hated, and us looking stupid to the entire world.

This government is no more since last year, and things are already quite better.

Guest GroinOfDespair

Their true intentions lay both with the internet and gaming. Both threaten the stranglehold big brother has on us.

Net cafes are always full of people playing Counter-Strike, WoW etc all day long. There's no better proof to show that this law has either been already completely abolished or is too stupid to be taken seriously and enforced.

Guest GroinOfDespair

But they will attempt to control our ephemmeral diversions from the doldrum that is our existance again and again.

Somedays I lack the basic motivation to overcome the inertia that is my existance.