Japanese Planescape:Torment

"The game play experience is basically a traditional turn-based RPG, a bit like Final Fantasy," said Mr. Sakaguchi of Lost Odyssey. "However there are new ideas incorporated when playing: you can experience a little bit of real-time action.

"Basically, the main character has been living for 1000 years. He never dies, and that's the biggest mystery. In this world, there are magical powers. The Industrial Revolution takes place, and because of the Revolution a lot of political and worldwide drama and big events happen. That's the main story," Mr. Sakaguchi says. "Besides this, there's a separate story. Since he's lived for 1000 years, he has lots of memories. Through his dreams he tells these memories, but they're not about big events or worldwide events. It's more of a human touch, like family and children. This is something that we never see games: emotional stories."

Q&A with Hironobu Sakaguchi

Kingdom Hearts was good, even if a bit cheesy in moments. It had a great cast of voice actors and incredible level design.

Front Mission 4 was a GREAT strategy-RPG-mech game that got largely overlooked.

Ah, yes, I forgot about FM4. A fun game in its own right. It was well-worth a rental. Not sure if I would have bought it, though. Hmm.

As for Lost Odyssey, I particularly like the paragraph you quoted. Emotional stories, heh.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

Basically, the main character has been living for 1000 years. He never dies, and that's the biggest mystery. In this world, there are magical powers. The Industrial Revolution takes place, and because of the Revolution a lot of political and worldwide drama and big events happen. That's the main story.

So there's a guy that never dies, and there's magic thingies and then comes the revolution and big stuff happens... I'll never call Harry Potter simple again.

This is something that we never see games: emotional stories.

Maybe he should have replaced the 'we' with an 'I'.

JRPGs have come on multiple discs before.

True , but it's still a pain the butt and really quite laughable at the begining of a consoles lifespan.

I dont think this one is going to make me rush out and buy a 360. But I'm sure I'll pick it up at some point.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Guest Fishboot
What can change the nature of a man?

High res FMV, man.

I wondered if the little "shuffling feet" bit at the beginning was supposed to mimic the zombie in the the PS:T intro. It's my imagination, I know. I know!

"So there's a guy that never dies, and there's magic thingies and then comes the revolution and big stuff happens... I'll never call Harry Potter simple again."

PST is about an immortal who has amnesia.

FO is about surviving the wasteland.

BG is about learning your heritage.

Yes, simplicty is everywhere when you read one or two liners about anything.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

No kidding, Voloman. The point is there seems to be much attention around the project and the notion that it's going to be great, but then you get *that* as a description. Simplicity is everywhere, but there's simplicity that grabs you and there's simplicity that doesn't grab you. As far as I'm concerned, that project's description falls into the second one.

Being a bit hard dont ya think ? It's early days yet and thats just an outline.

Seems to have a bit of a breath of fire vibe about it.

I'm going to shut up now because last time I speculated and got something right I got into trouble (and you never know who is here).

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

Llyranor wins.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

SO true. :p

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

Sounds more interesting than FFXII, at any case, though the ideas of immortality and reincarnation are hardly derivative of PS:T. A man that cannot die? I seem to recall books and films that dealt with such long before the advent of games.

There are doors

If we look at "The Shadow of Colossus" and then think PS3's specs....wow

kirottu said: