The longest journey

I just got it today and Ive already spent an hour trying to make it work. After getting an older *.exe which is ATI compatible I got the game to work with Antialiasing only to find that it crashes when trying to view normal quality videos. It works if I set the video quality to low but thats not really watchable and I got the impression that this game is cutscene-heavy so thats no good <_< it crashes no matter what version I use.

I could run it in windowed mode where the video would be watchable but playing a game in this tiny window just sucks.

gah. this reminds me a bit of the good old DOS days where you had to fiddle with everything for atleast a whole day before it worked..

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I've just started Grim Fandango (I'll be disapearing back to it shortly :lol: ) and I have a different irritation (no rash, though): the relative directional controls change according to a (secret) agenda at randomly set places within the game environment, so that pressing "up" (straight ahead) might move you around the expanse of a hidden underground cavern to get a key, but equally might send you back to the room you just left!

Apart from that I'm having a ball.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Of course, it wouldnt even start if I used the launcher. Unfortunantly, I can see no way to fix this. It just wont play video at the normal resolution, Ive tried compatibility modes, etc. but it crashes nontheless.

Metadigital> I tried playing GF a year ago but there was a nasty gamestopper in it, apprently the new LucasArts Classic version has some new bugs. There a coneyor belt that you'l use later in the game and this bug makes it impossible to climb up the conveyour if its running.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Grim Fandango: WinXP pro SP2, te game doesnt ask for anything, you just cant climb the belt like youre supposed to. But its not a bug that happens to everyone.

Longest journey: Same, it doesnt ask for anything, the game just freezes up when playing the first video sequence right when the name of the guy who wrote the score comes up(it can strangely enough play the video logotypes when starting the game). I think its because its one frame that causes some kind of overflow.

Try the following (restart the game after each change, and try playing, before making any further changes): In the Game Settings menu, uncheck the "High Quality Videos" checkbox. In the advanced start-up dialogue, disable hardware 3D acceleration. If you've just played another game prior to playing TLJ, reboot your PC before running TLJ - if the first game used the same video "codec" as TLJ (Bink), there may be a system conflict that can only be resolved by rebooting.

Yeah, it sounds like a particular graphics function is blowing a stack. It's not uncommon for the intro graphics to work, presumably so that the publisher gets their name in lights even if the game has to be returned ("no such thing as bad publicity" ? ) ...

Win XP has compatibility properties for the runtime objects. Check the properties in the third tab (conveniently called "Compatibility") to see if they help.

:)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Yeah, you could d/l the Application Compatibility Toolkit in case your XP CD doesn't include it, and see if it works. It's not exactly easy to use but you could try if you really want to play the game.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I've just started Grim Fandango (I'll be disapearing back to it shortly :) ) and I have a different irritation (no rash, though): the relative directional controls change according to a (secret) agenda at randomly set places within the game environment, so that pressing "up" (straight ahead) might move you around the expanse of a hidden underground cavern to get a key, but equally might send you back to the room you just left!

Apart from that I'm having a ball.

I think that in the settings theres an option to put the movement relative to the direction you're facing. Its always a good idea to view a games settings before playing.

You may be right, I have only just installed this particular gamepad on this pc, so I wasn't sure if I had hooked it up correctly; consequently it might be set up for a default gamepad instead of my super-duper rumblepad with two analogue cotntrollers and a digital eight-way switch, with the eight buttons ...

(I always read the game settings, first.)

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Win XP has compatibility properties for the runtime objects.

I find your lack of trust in my techie abilities disturbing. Fiddling with the compatibility thingie was the first thing I did, same thing.

Since it freezes at a perticular frame in the first video in the prolouge, and what they say about video codecs in the FAQ, I cant draw any other conclusion that the problem lies there. I installed it on my friends comp that has a nVidia GFX and whaddya know? It works perfectly with AA and everything from the start.

I thought ID wait a while for the prices on G6800ultra's go down but I think Ill be getting on right now :angry: ATI!! You have failed me for the last time!! :angry:

*rips out GFX and stomps on it*

RRRAAAAAARGHHH!!!

Yeah, it does sound like a driver issue (certainly not a hardware one!) ... ATi are not spectacular, ime, at backwards-compatibility.

It wasn't my intention to dismiss your technical abilities or in any way demean your aptitude for such things ... it is often quite difficult to appraise people's skills through the treacle brogue and verbiage of the www.

Please accept my apologies for any offence, either real or imagined. :shifty:

PS Shouldn't this be in the Tech Self Help forum?

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, that is just for KoTOR2 related issues

No, that is just for KoTOR2 related issues

Of course, you are very close to being almost entirely and irredeemably with a scintillant perversity and without an erroroneous thought, word or deed. Please continue unabated.

I've got two laptops, one with an ATi and one with an nVidea, so I can play it for you, if you like.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have tonnes of old games, and tried endlessly to get them to work on XP. Many were the internet boards I visited, and endlesssly did I hear the advice "Change the compatibility settings" until me teeth were giving off sparks of rage.

My solution was to purchase a bottle of good whisky, and trade it with a friend who had an old computer going spare. It now runs Win98 and sits patiently on a second desk for gaming.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Ha! I think I've heard that advice before. I think the compatibilty settings are not all they are cracked up to be; certainly I have not had the need to use them yet and I rue the day I will need to ...

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

The compat settings have helped me run a lot of older games, and trust me, they work. Not always, though. I hear that the ACT is even better, but it's not exactly user-friendly and the only time I had to use it, the problem didn't really lay with the OS.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

The ultimate test is to try it on a different computer that still uses an ATI card....not an nVidia card.

You changed two variables when you did that (your computer, as well as video card).

If it dies on a different ATI card machine, then be pissed at ATI.

Yeah, it does sound like a driver issue (certainly not a hardware one!) ... ATi are not spectacular, ime, at backwards-compatibility.

It wasn't my intention to dismiss your technical abilities or in any way demean your aptitude for such things ... it is often quite difficult to appraise people's skills through the treacle brogue and verbiage of the www.

Please accept my apologies for any offence, either real or imagined.  :thumbsup:

Or, you know, it could be another of those times where the QA spent more time testing on nVidia rigs than they did on ATi rigs. Seems to happen all too frequently. :wub: