Do you like math?

Bokishi

Like? Sometimes. Find it interesting? Always. Then again, the uni program I'm studying is based around math, chemistry, physics, and programming in each of those. I thought analytic math and linear algebra was quite interesting, but the most "fun" course we had was probably applied mathematics, simulating titration, diffusion, convection, etc..

I had great troubles with Linear Algebra (typical, since that's what's most common in ordinary 3D programming), but I breezed through most of the other math courses (Differential Equations, Statistics, Applied Mathematics and so on)

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Its just a tool. Ive never understood those people who obsess about it.

10^4 is a hypercube that rotates around a plane where an ordinary cube rotates around an axis. But in reality, the ONLY thing you can possibly rotate around is an axis.(or a point if we're talking 2D)

Sort of like how M-theory says there has to be 11+ dimensions for its calculations to work out. But there are only 4 real dimensions(XYZ and time/change/movement).

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Sort of like how M-theory says there has to be 11+ dimensions for its calculations to work out. But there are only 4 real dimensions(XYZ and time/change/movement).

I thought space moved not time, that time was like a slice of bread that you can slice anyway, am i wrong, time DOES move and change, not space?

Always outnumbered, never out gunned!

Unreal Tournament 2004 Handle:Enlight_2.0

Myspace Website!

My rig

Its just a tool. Ive never understood those people who obsess about it.

10^4 is a hypercube that rotates around a plane where an ordinary cube rotates around an axis. But in reality, the ONLY thing you can possibly rotate around is an axis.(or a point if we're talking 2D)

I regarded mathematics as a religion when I was in high school. It still is the only perfet science: where you can proove something conclusively.

Vectors can be complex, matrices (or n-dimensional vectors, and their operations) are pretty interesting, too! Solving simultaneous equations was always a favourite: I wrote a c programm at uni to solve three (or was it four?) variable simultaneous equations ...

Kaftan, you don't know how many dimensions there are ... and the point about String theory is that six of the dimensions "fold up", sort of like fractal dimensions.

Don't tell me you don't believe in fractal dimensions, because they are visible everywhere around us: look at the earth from space: see the coastline? Zoom in until you can see the headlands, see the extra detail? Now, keep zooming, see the shoreline? Keep drilling down and the coastline keeps changing, keeps getting more and more variations: see the grains of sand? These are fractal dimensions (according to Glieck and Chaos theory).

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

No, math disgusts me :D. Sorry, just not a big fan of it. The subject that I excel in is English.

And what happened to my guns thread? I'm gone for half a day and it gets derailed? What is this world coming to? Oh well, it had a good run.

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.

--John Stewart Mill--

"Victory was for those willing to fight and die. Intellectuals could theorize until they sucked their thumbs right off their hands, but in the real world, power still flowed from the barrel of a gun.....you could send in your bleeding-heart do-gooders, you could hold hands and pray and sing hootenanny songs and invoke the great gods CNN and BBC, but the only way to finally open the roads to the big-eyed babies was to show up with more guns."

--Black Hawk Down--

MySpace: http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea...iendid=44500195

mathematics really isn't a science per se as it is axiomatic, and science is not (at least not necessarily). mathematics is incomplete, but so is nearly any system.

what i've always liked about mathematics is the fact that it permeates the universe. 1+1 = 2 is universal.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

what i've always liked about mathematics is the fact that it permeates the universe.  1+1 = 2 is universal.

This is why I find math most appealing, myself. On the other hand, part of the problem is that we can't conceive of a universe in which 1+1=2. In fact, math is the language that defines the box in which we live, and it's impossible, at the point of mathmatics, for any of us to think outside of the box. If it turned out that, in some other part of the universe, 1+1=2 wasn't a true statement, we would simply be unable to understand it.

Fionavar's Holliday Wishes to all members of our online community:  Happy Holidays

Join the revelry at the Obsidian Plays channel:
Obsidian Plays

Remembering tarna, Phosphor, Metadigital, and Visceris.  Drink mead heartily in the halls of Valhalla, my friends!

This is why I find math most appealing, myself.  On the other hand, part of the problem is that we can't conceive of a universe in which 1+1=2.  In fact, math is the language that defines the box in which we live, and it's impossible, at the point of mathmatics, for any of us to think outside of the box.  If it turned out that, in some other part of the universe, 1+1=2 wasn't a true statement, we would simply be unable to understand it.

Interestingly enough, 1+1 isn't necessarily 2. It's only 2 because that's how we have established numeric algebra, perhaps from an intuitive notion. But in boolean algebra, for example, 1+1=11. I lack the specific knowledge in set theory but I suspect it goes much deeper. And there are parts in the universe in which the addition of two amounts makes no sense, and to explain those we had to develop new mathematical operators, new abstractions in order to make a mental diagram of reality.

While it's true that 1+1=2, this is nothing more than a human abstract fabrication.

...what was I talking about, again? :geek:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

I liked Mathematics. Until I decided to study English Language at University, I was planning on Mathematics. The fact that my Advanced Higher (optional final year qualifications at Scottish Schools, similar in level to 1st year Uni) Maths teacher was a wanker made me switch to AH English, and so to English Language at Uni.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Incidently, in England they say "maths" instead of "math". How quaint.  :D

No - the rustic colonials in her Majesty's former colonies are quaint, for their strange habit of leaving letters out of perfectly good and proper English words (eg it's "honoUr" not "honor").

Back to the question, I find most higher maths incomprehensible and dull. My brother is a mathematician and he says the problem is that most mathematicians aren't very good at "selling" maths. Everyone can see the point of being able to do basic sums but advanced trigonometry seems to have no bearing on everyday lives and most maths nerds can't articulate that bearing well enough for the average person to appreciate it.

I dropped maths after junior high school and haven't missed it in my working life, no matter what crap my brother says. :blink:

Math? No thank you. I'm too unrational to solve anything logical.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Jesus and his disciples were walking around one day, when Jesus said, "The Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9." The disciples looked very puzzled, and finally asked Peter, "What on earth does Jesus mean - the Kingdom of Heaven is like 3x squared plus 8x minus 9? Peter said, "Don't worry. It's just another one of his parabolas."

Maths was my favourite subject in highschool :wub: ...especially because in maths the emphasis isn't about studying hard, either you understand it or not.....there is no third.

P.S. I always got A or B in math exam through out highschool :geek: man I sound like a real geek :blink: