New FranKK interview

Gorth

Get to know more about your Obsidian developers :(

Things you know, things you didn't know and things you were better off not knowing about FranKK.

http://www.winterwind-productions.com/modu...showpage&pid=72

About himself, Nwn2, Baldurs Gate on consoles and gaming forums :cool:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Interesting interview. I'm still waiting for one of them to name Volourn as someone they'd like to punch in the face. :)

Interesting tidbit; I didn't realize Darren Monahan is a co-owner of Obsidian. I figured Feargie is the MAN, and everyone else was just his entourage.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Ehh... just for the sake of clarity, the undead representative is Crazy Joe, not the grinning skull to the left :)"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Interesting interview.  I'm still waiting for one of them to name Volourn as someone they'd like to punch in the face.  :)

Interesting tidbit; I didn't realize Darren Monahan is a co-owner of Obsidian.  I figured Feargie is the MAN, and everyone else was just his entourage.

I thought there where five co-owners. Like a few of the Chrises own part of it and than one other guy.

"Your total disregard for the law and human decency both disgusts me and touches my heart. Bless you, sir."

"Soilent Green is people. This guy's just a homeless heroin junkie who got in a internet caf

Interesting interview.  I'm still waiting for one of them to name Volourn as someone they'd like to punch in the face.  :p

Interesting tidbit; I didn't realize Darren Monahan is a co-owner of Obsidian.  I figured Feargie is the MAN, and everyone else was just his entourage.

I thought there where five co-owners. Like a few of the Chrises own part of it and than one other guy.

I thought it was 3, Fergie, MCA, and Darren.

EDIT:

You were right.

Feargus Urquhart, Chris Parker, Darren Monahan, Chris Avellone and Chris Jones.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

I've read it before, of course, but still rather good as far as interviews go.

If it hasn't been said already, big thanks on behalf of the WW staff goes out to FrankK for taking his time to answer, and of course Crazy Joe for setting it up.

Thanks. ;)

"McDonald's taste damn good. I'd rtahe reat their wonderful food then the poisonous junk you server in your house that's for sure.

What's funny is I'm not fat. In fact, I'm skinny. Though I am as healthy as cna be. Outside of being very ugly, and the common cold once in the blue moon I simply don't get sick."

- Volourn, Slayer of Yrkoon!

"I want a Lightsaber named Mr. Zappy" -- Darque

"I'm going to call mine Darque. Then I can turn Darque on anytime I want." -- GhostofAnakin

An okay interview. Nothing too grand but a decent take on developers life.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I think the interview is quite enjoyable. It answers a few questions and keeps a light tone.

We always try to keep humour as an element of any interview we do. I get quite bored reading interviews that are too technical or game/engine specific in nature. Besides, simple fact is, Frank can't spill a lot of info on NWN2 right now. We'll try to be drier with our next interview. ;)

I will say this though, I am worried about crazy.joe's obsession with this whole Dreamcast thing. I don't think it's healthy.

December 2012 - Issue 19 of the Winterwind Papers now online - http://www.winterwind-productions.com

Nationalism, brotherhood, 'pop' culture and puppy love

I just don't get why it was canceled with no given reason. If you browse the popular gaming sites, they just state it was canceled.

Half-life for the DC went gold, and the a bit before the release date it was canceled. So now there's a warehouse with a couple hundred thousand copies of HL sitting in it. The best part... I keep calling them asking for one once a year. Maybe they'll give in eventually. I'm suprised they haven't destroyed them yet.

Stand Your Convictions and You Will Walk Alone.

The best part... I keep calling them asking for one once a year. Maybe they'll give in eventually. I'm suprised they haven't destroyed them yet.

You're as insane as me.

There once was a MUD called Valhalla which was situated on a server in Sweden. It used an old codebase called DIKU (I think). One day the university who owned the server decided to rebuild the server room and Valhalla MUD was disconnected and put into storage. Meanwhile the creators of DIKU moved on to DIKU2 (I think, but the name feels wrong somehow) and at the same time they switched to a new server. So the old server is still in storage somewhere in that swedish university. I never liked DIKU2 (went from a level 1-199 player system to a 1-50 system among other things) so for a couple of years I kept phoning and emailing the university with requests to buy the old server. Unfortunately, the creator's of DIKU (or VME as it is called nowadays) never allowed me to, and by now I'm sure it wouldn't even work anymore.

I had a LOT of fun with the old Valhalla though. Players could reach level 199 (if they played a long time) and the gods on the server started from level 200-255. The smaller gods (level 200-220) were called Demigods and could only perform simple tasks (like helping players who had gotten stuck, changing player titles and so on) and depended on players sacrificing heads to their name (you could cut off the head of everything you killed and sacrifice it to the Demigod of your choice, giving that god 'experience points'). The bigger gods were administrators and world builders.

Anyhow, the player building was kind of classless, so if you planned your character well you could become extremely powerful in certain areas. My character had a summon spell, and since I was level 199 and the small gods were only a few levels above me, we used to summon them around a lot. We called it god-ping-pong. The trick was to have the ball (the god) in your room when you finally were frozen/banned/kicked. Those were the days.. :ermm:

DIKU2 made the gods untouchable, the players weaker (level 50 was max) and the entire game a whole lot more boring.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I wanna play god-pong ...

PS I'm sure the old server would still work --- after all, it's not like the server becomes inoperable; it should work exactly as it did back when it was connected. Maybe we could start a petition. Or a writing exercise.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT