Why is the ending disliked???

I found the ending okay. I mean, there are some bits missing from the ending which would have made it much more dramatic and tragic, but as is, it isn't as bad as people said it was.

Still, if there is no KoTOR3, I suppose by default I'll have to hate it. :shifty:

That's why the end sucks. There is no role playing, it is just a boring, pointless series of meaningless interactions interspersed between FMV.

RPGs are about choice and cosequences.

Well, personally, I'm used to -- and a big fan of -- more "console-style" RPGs. Y'know, along the lines of Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts, and so on, and a lot of those kinds of RPGs generally don't delve into a complete choice-and-consequence experience. They're pretty linear, offering a relatively preset story-based experience. So, I never really found fault when it came to points in the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games at which the player's choices didn't factor in as much. I focused more on the storyline and the scenes for what they were, along with the atmosphere. The player's choices should -- and would, had the "cut content" actually made it into the game -- have affected more, I suppose, but that wouldn't be the sort of thing I'd hinge my entire decision on.

Well, personally, I'm used to -- and a big fan of -- more "console-style" RPGs. Y'know, along the lines of Final Fantasy, Xenogears, Shadow Hearts, and so on, and a lot of those kinds of RPGs generally don't delve into a complete choice-and-consequence experience. They're pretty linear, offering a relatively preset story-based experience. So, I never really found fault when it came to points in the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic games at which the player's choices didn't factor in as much. I focused more on the storyline and the scenes for what they were, along with the atmosphere. The player's choices should -- and would, had the "cut content" actually made it into the game -- have affected more, I suppose, but that wouldn't be the sort of thing I'd hinge my entire decision on.

Different style of game. Those sort of choices are obsolete when you have a character that is their own person rather than a puppet.

The cut content would have been a continuity nightmare. Although things could have been handled better. Without knowing the reason why the content was cut you cant really attribute blame.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

They bettter not try to make a revelation of the Ebon Hawk - "omg, it was built by the Star Forge!".

Well where did the Millenium Falcon come from? (heh, it's probably in those gay EU books somewhere)

Point is I wouldn't think much of it - it's just a legendary ships everyone seems to want.

The Ebon Hawk was really Fredon Nadd's personal envoy's pet's dam's owner's sister-in-law's junkshop reject that she did up. (Okay, maybe she used a couple of spares from the Star Forge, but nothing so as you'd notice.)

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

#2 = Who said it was fixed?  During your LS play through, before you spare Kreai,

she tells you to leave M5 using one of the ships on the academy.  The EH has always been mysterious... That could of been it's origin.

Aaalright. Very farfetched.

#3 = Who said the Exile is heading into the unknown region?  Maybe he is heading to some Pub on the Outer Rim with his buddies.  Or Perhaps he is indeed heading to the Unknown regions, only the player can decide.  As for Revan, he is out there, and without him 'Out there" there would be much hope for a Kotor3.

You actually tell Kreia what you intend to do at the end. So supposedly you do what you tell her (unless you "pull a Kreia" on her).

^Asinus asinorum in saecula saeculorum

Good points guys. O i didnt know you could heal up your members in the cut ending.

I know the ending sucked but the whole game as a whole was good and hopefully they fix the problems in kotor3.

And the whole ebon hawk getting fixed somebody in another post said bao dur wasnt selectable anymore when u take over remote. Supposedly he thought dur died but im pretty much thinkin the remote sign just replaced bao and that bao dur and t3 were fixin the ship while the others were getting owned by kreia and sion.

I'd say the first 1/3 of the game is pretty solid, even if the droid factory and everything really "urck" you its hard not to like it well enough. Then the dialogue option that don't go anywhere really start piling up. "Cut Scenes' happen that don't go anywhere, and basically alot of thing that were left in and not reworked because of time restraints start buging you. Then Kreia starts talking about the "True Sith' and how she knows about it is anyone's guess, and then you learn your character is an abomination of the force no matter how you play it. Then it just propels itself into perpetual crappiness. As a NWN fans I'm afraid, I'm very afraid.

The worse part about it was the atmosphere was great, its just the writing that was horrible

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

I guess everybody has an opinion about the game as a whole. As a whole I thought it was well done even though it rushed in the end. I like the whole echo in the force since it seems everyone of your members has an echo within them. And just because the character is somethin of evil in the eyes of some arrogant jedi masters that doesnt make him evil in everyone eyes.

I liked the game overall. My problem with the ending is that it left me feeling hollow. I wasn't looking for things that they "should have done" and trying to find things to complain about...It's just that after reading the cut content everything made so much more sense. They either should have left some scenes in (with a few modifications, depending on how much they still wanted to leave out) or they should have gotten rid of a few extraneous scenes that didn't lead anywhere now that the ending has been altered. Specifically I will give a few examples:

1. The most obvious is the HK factory. From what I understand it's almost completed and I wish they had included it. Anyhow, for whatever reason let's say it absolutely had to be cut. They shouldn't have had HK-47 tell the player that he can triangulate the location of the factory. They should have had a quick cutscene or something to explain everything instead of building up to a mission that never happened. For instance, if there is a mandatory cutscene where Go-to reveals to the player that the factory is on Telos and then the player informs to the Republic fleet to bomb it. It shouldn't take too much time to do that and it would leave me with the sense that the problem is dealt with.

2. The next most obvious is the remote's role on Malachor V. We have the remote power up the Mass Shadow Generator, Go-to appears and threatens the remote, and then we never find out what happens. As a DS presumably we don't give the order and as a LS presumably the remote beats Go-to in a firefight. There is no way I can believe that the remote can beat Go-to in combat. The cut content had a scene with HK-47, HK-50's and HK-51's that resolved this. I understand that without the HK factory this scene couldn't happen. So, instead of cutting it entirely, they should have had HK-47 show up alone and shoot Go-to. That would explain how the remote survived without bringing up further questions.

3. It is a big deal that the Ebon Hawk is destroyed and then magically reappears. I mean, the name of the FMV is even "the death of the Ebon Hawk." They either should have cut that FMV completely or they should have had a brief explanation of what happened. Say maybe the player is in Trayus Academy and Atton says over the com-link, "We just took a pretty bad hit but thanks to my fine piloting abilities we didn't crash. T3 and Bao-dur say that the ship will be ready to fly in a little bit."

4. Then, as people have remarked before, what is Mira doing on the surface? Something should have come of her duel with Hanharr. A brief addition to the in-game ending could have easily fixed this. Let's say that just before the exile gives the command for the MSG, Mira finds the exile. Then as the Academy is falling (for LS), Mira leads the exile where Atton has landed the Ebon Hawk. If the player is DS, then Mira just shows the player where Atton parked the ship since he had to move it earlier. That would feel much more complete without having to use all of the cut material.

5. The final point I will make is that the ending could have felt so much more fulfilling if there had been a very simple cutscene after the Ebon Hawk leaves M5 (which would be in both cases, whether or not the exile destroyed the planet). The player could be in the main area of the Ebon Hawk will all of the NPC's gathered there. There could be a brief conversation where the exile says basically, "We've come a long way but the adventure is just beginning." (Alright, maybe that sounds a little corny but you get the idea). Just something to see the NPC's one last time and have a sense that the exile's journey isn't over yet but without leaving the players wondering what happened.

In short, my problem with the ending is not exactly that so much material was cut but that the way that they cut the material left a lot of plot holes and unanswered questions. It is very frustrating because most of those questions could be answered with a few short cutscenes or com-link exchanges.

I found it quite unbelievable that after you crash, you are outside, and there's no indication that you aren't able to check on your party members. It's just doesn't make sense to leave it all like that.

They could've at least made the quest text say something like "you've crash landed on Malachor V but you can't find a way back into the ship. you should explore the planet for the time being"

(hopefully you get the idea)

sigpic0yb.jpg

Pure Pazaak - The Stand-alone Multiplayer Pazaak Game (link to Obsidian board thread)

Pure Pazaak website (big thank you to fingolfin)

After Reading trough these posts I had to register and add something all of you have seem to have forgotten.

Although most of you have valid points, and I agree with you for the most part, The real indication that there was suppose to be more to the story and that Obsidian made a really bad attempt to rush the game out is when you play as Bao-dur's remote and GO-D0 says that he would not let the remote activate the sequence. What happened? Personally I thought I would play as the remote again and stop GO-T0 Obviously the remote activates the sequence, but to go from kreia yelling unconvincingly before she dies after having a "heart to heart" conversation with you and showing no pain whatsoever in the meantime, and then go to M5 exploding is kind of lame to say the least.

KOTOR 1 was the reason I bought KOTOR 2. I bought KOTOR 2 the day after I found out I was revan on KOTOR 1 because I didnt want to wait at all before I got to play the sequel. And the same day I regreted it. I found myself reloading previous saves so that I could see conversations between myself and kreia. When you first enter the Ebon Hawk the whole Kreia Atton convo got skipped etc... etc...

All in all, I think KOTOR 3 better not have that many problems, hopefully theyll add the KOTOR 2 content in a patch like UBIsoft did for the extra content for Splinter Cell. Either way, I am sure that many people like me would think twice about a title bearing any of the names affiliated with the KOTOR series if this is repeated.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents, and hello everyone!

-GM-

Welcome to the forums dude :cool:

And we may not like the ending but we all know that Obsidan (In all its spasting stupidity) was trying to leave us hanging, they hust did one of the worst jobs ever <_<

Statemeant: you cannot stop me you cannot harm me, in order to do that I would need to stop being one of you; I have concluded that this is something I am willing to accept!

In short you have just shown me your soft meatbag-like underbellies and said

It's clear what happened.

Lightside ending:

After Exile destroyed Ravager, he decides that he has only one option ... and that is to face Kreia. Because he doesn't want to danger any of his friends ... he decides to go alone and informs his friends of his decision.

Bao-Dur doesn't agree with Exile and demands that he should take at least Remote with him ... Bao-Dur tells that Remote could deactive the Shadow Mass Generator. Exile hears out Bao-Durs suggestion and agrees that that would be a good idea.

But Mira and GO-TO doesn't agree with him. They pretend to accept Exiles desicion ... but are silently making their own plans. Mira believes that Exile will need help and GO-TO doesn't like the idea of deactivating the Shadow Mass Generator. So Mira and GO-TO sneak into Ebon hawk.

Kreia had foreseen that Mira would come to Malachor V and that is why she brought Hanharr to Malachor V ... to stop or at least slow down Mira ... so that she wouldn't be able to interfere into what was going to happen between Kreia and Exile.

Who is aboard Ebon Hawk when it flies to Malachor V? Exile, Mira, GO-TO, Remote and T3-M4 because without it Ebon Hawk isn't going any where ... remember that navicomputer is still voice-locked.

So ... Exile flies to Malachor V ... unaware that Mira and GO-TO are aboard the Ebon Hawk. Next part we know ... Ebon Hawk crashes, Exile makes his way to Kreia, Mira confronts Hanharr, Remote comes up against GO-TO and Ebon Hawk drops towards the center of the planet but the ship isn't in as bad shape as it looks and T3-M4 is able to fly it.

Exile defeats Kreia, Mira defeats Hanharr and Remote suprises GO-TO with Bao-Durs modifications. There is nothing/no one left to prevent Exile and Remote from deactivating the Shadow Mass Generator ... so there is no hurry.

Even if it looks like things happen in rapid succession that isn't what happens. Exile, T3-M4, Mira and Remote fix the Ebon Hawk. When they are ready to leave Malachor V ... they start the Shadow Mass Generators deactivation process and fly away from the Malachor V.

During their stay at Traya Academy Exile found out where Revan had gone and was also able to unlock the navicomputer. So Exile took Mira, T3-M4 and Remote back to Telos ... and then left after Revan.

At least that is how I fill in the caps. :)"

Darkside ending:

I haven't played as darksider ... so I don't know how the exact story goes or what caps needs to be filled. So I don't have the darkside ending to tell.

Lightside ending:

After Exile destroyed Ravager, he decides that he has only one option ... and that is to face Kreia. Because he doesn't want to danger any of his friends ... he decides to go alone and informs his friends of his decision.

Bao-Dur doesn't agree with Exile and demands that he should take at least Remote with him ... Bao-Dur tells that Remote could deactive the Shadow Mass Generator. Exile hears out Bao-Durs suggestion and agrees that that would be a good idea.

But Mira and GO-TO doesn't agree with him. They pretend to accept Exiles desicion ... but are silently making their own plans. Mira believes that Exile will need help and GO-TO doesn't like the idea of deactivating the Shadow Mass Generator. So Mira and GO-TO sneak into Ebon hawk.

Kreia had foreseen that Mira would come to Malachor V and that is why she brought Hanharr to Malachor V ... to stop or at least slow down Mira ... so that she wouldn't be able to interfere into what was going to happen between Kreia and Exile.

Who is aboard Ebon Hawk when it flies to Malachor V? Exile, Mira, GO-TO, Remote and T3-M4 because without it Ebon Hawk isn't going any where ... remember that navicomputer is still voice-locked.

So ... Exile flies to Malachor V ... unaware that Mira and GO-TO are aboard the Ebon Hawk. Next part we know ... Ebon Hawk crashes, Exile makes his way to Kreia, Mira confronts Hanharr, Remote comes up against GO-TO and Ebon Hawk drops towards the center of the planet but the ship isn't in as bad shape as it looks and T3-M4 is able to fly it.

Exile defeats Kreia, Mira defeats Hanharr and Remote suprises GO-TO with Bao-Durs modifications. There is nothing/no one left to prevent Exile and Remote from deactivating the Shadow Mass Generator ... so there is no hurry.

Even if it looks like things happen in rapid succession that isn't what happens. Exile, T3-M4, Mira and Remote fix the Ebon Hawk. When they are ready to leave Malachor V ... they start the Shadow Mass Generators deactivation process and fly away from the Malachor V.

During their stay at Traya Academy Exile found out where Revan had gone and was also able to unlock the navicomputer. So Exile took Mira, T3-M4 and Remote back to Telos ... and then left after Revan.

At least that is how I fill in the caps.  :)"

Darkside ending:

I haven't played as darksider ... so I don't know how the exact story goes or what caps needs to be filled. So I don't have the darkside ending to tell.

Most of these are assumptions. While I find some of them very plausible, I still feel that the player shouldn't be forced to fill that many gaps using his or her own imagination.

Of course they are presumptions ... but that is how I fill in the caps. That is how the story goes for me ... and that is all that matters to me. If you fit in together the events in game and my presumptions ... you get a story that is pretty much believable ... and that's enough for me.

I agree that the current ending leaves caps to be filled and guestions to be anwsered ... but it doesn't bother me too much because I can fill in those caps the way I want them to be filled.

Do I think Obsidian and LA cut corners? ... simply put ... yes. But I'm not really that disapointed with the ending.

When I read the first time about the complaints of the current ending ... I hadn't yet played the game through ... and back then I thought that the ending really must be bad. But when I finally played the game to the end ... I wasn't disapointed at all ... to me the current lightside ending works.

Besides in lightside ending ... if you don't rush at the ending and listen what Kreya has to say ... you get enough hints to piece together the future.

Exile leaves the known space to look for Revan. Mira, Handmaiden, Atton and Bao-Dur form the new Jedi Council/Order. I believe there is also something about Mandalore/Canderous (but it has been sometime when I last finished the game and that is why I can't remember what it was).

So in the end you have these "dots" ... all you need to do is to "draw the line" between the "dots" and you have some kind of picture of what happened and what is going to happen after the game.

Edited by Ileria

I agree that the current ending leaves caps to be filled and guestions to be anwsered ... but it doesn't bother me too much because I can fill in those caps the way I want them to be filled.

Do I think Obsidian and LA cut corners? ... simply put ... yes. But I'm not really that disapointed with the ending.

When I read the first time about the complaints of the current ending ... I hadn't yet played the game through ... and back then I thought that the ending really must be bad. But when I finally played the game to the end ... I wasn't disapointed at all ... to me the current lightside ending works.

Besides in lightside ending ... if you don't rush at the ending and listen what Kreya has to say ... you get enough hints to piece together the future.

Exile leaves the known space to look for Revan. Mira, Handmaiden, Atton and Bao-Dur form the new Jedi Council/Order. I believe there is also something about Mandalore/Canderous (but it has been sometime when I last finished the game and that is why I can't remember what it was).

So in the end you have these "dots" ... all you need to do is to "draw the line" between the "dots" and you have some kind of picture of what happened and what is going to happen after the game.

Being warned always eases the fall. The third time I played the game the ending was ok, since I knew exactly what to expect and had more time both in-game and here to work out all the loose ends. That is, however, no excuse for the end to look the way it does. First time around it was just plain bad.

Guest MacleodCorp

Lightside ending:

At least that is how I fill in the caps.  :p"

Darkside ending:

Very well put! However, that is not what really happens to Obsidian's story. But it would be a good way to fix the plot.... If the game did that, I think no one would be complaining... Very well said though!!

you guys you guys you guys calm down here listen to me.... they didn't leave you with holes, they didn't leave you hanging....... what they did was leave you with kotor 3.... YEAH.... see you all ready know whats going on at the end if you just freakin listen to kreia she tells you everyones future..... soooo dur it means there still alive...... you know that you are going to look for revan now.... mira didn't come looking for you she ended up there after the crash, she was laying there then she gets up and hannhar starts following her.... obiously you know how the ship got repaird, you got HK, GOTO, Bao-Dor, and T3 so obiusly you know dang well that the ship can be fixed.... T3 did it once he can do it agine, and the first time the damage was way worse....

you guys you guys you guys calm down here listen to me.... they didn't leave you with holes, they didn't leave you hanging....... what they did was leave you with kotor 3.... YEAH.... see you all ready know whats going on at the end if you just freakin listen to kreia she tells you everyones future..... soooo dur it means there still alive...... you know that you are going to look for revan now....  mira didn't come looking for you she ended up there after the crash, she was laying there then she gets up and hannhar starts following her.... obiously you know how the ship got repaird, you got HK, GOTO, Bao-Dor, and T3 so obiusly you know dang well that the ship can be fixed.... T3 did it once he can do it agine, and the first time the damage was way worse....

Yeah, you're right, that's closure. Sorry if some of us got it confused with an UNSTRUCTURED MESS OF AN ENDING THAT BEGS TO BE RESOLVED.

yeah i guess the ending could have been just a little bit better, and i agree with you guys it wasn't teh best of endings but... you have to under stad obsidian was rushed to finish... lucas arts gave them less than a year to get this thing done, the last game got like 2 years... so come on they had to throw something together at the end... so i am proud of the ending that they did in so little of time.... KOTOR 3 YEAH...

I thought the end just left too much open. A horrible little thing about kreia telling the future, Nihilius is a panze and Sion keeps coming back for more.... and you never figure out if your friends really survived or if they all died for you in the hawk, i know it's all been said before but i find it insane that you survive soo much stuff without a scratch. o:)

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.