Civilization 4

I totally, totally hated corruption in Civ 3.  It didn't matter how big your empire was, for the most part, all that mattered was the distance from your capital.  You'd build a city on a small island a few squares away from your continent, and have to wait eighty turns befor it could finish a harbour to bring in resources for other projects.  That sucked.  I'm sure they'll find a decent way of replacing it, but Corruption as it was in Civ 3 just didn't work.

You only got the massive corruption if you had passed the map size's optimal city number which turned all your citizens in any new cities into damned dirty thieves. 8) On a standard size map the city number was only like 30 or so cities.

You got massive corruption if you tried to build a city far away from your capital and forbidden palace too, whether you had exceeded the limit or not. Compund that with all the things which are continent based in Civ, and island based civilisations are placed at a huge disadvantage. If you were playing England on one of the player-made Earth maps, this became a *real* bitch if you tried to do anything like the colonisation it historically did. Want a city in South Africa? No problem, as long as you don't mind your harbor being finished in 2050.

I was commenting on you remark about building a few squares away. Generally the distance corruption wasn't as bad because with the exception of mayble island maps most of your cities would be fairly close together or maybe I'm the only one that clusters my cities as close as I can get them without overlapping worked tiles.

just finished playing a game of civ3 and I'm really looking forward to the changes in Civ4. Pollution bugged the hell out of me, especially when I was going in and conquering some dutch cities. They were like population 20 or so and after occupying them it took a long while before they were out of resistance, and during that time, due to there being no mass transit or recycling plants, all these cities were just spewing out pollution, and I couldn't ship any workers over because they had submarines taking out my transports. I also couldn't build anything there due to corruption and resistance.

So I don't have mixed feelings about removing corruption and pollution anymore, I'm all for them being cut.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Civ4 needs a "Mr. Fusion" upgrade in the tech tree.

Yeah, I always thought that Mr Meier was a little on the pessimistic side when it came to our civilization: either that or he's a little too preachy. Even if you have all your power generated via hydo-electric or fusion reactors, your planet will turn into a swamp and lots of people die.

I thought Civ 3 was a little anticlimactic; then again, I remember when I first started playing Civ 2 and I discovered how long I could go without food, sleep and rest of any sort ... it's not easy re-creating a classic.

I like the sound of most of Civ 4, but I remain skeptical that it will work. It is very hard to include all the themes of real life, over the entire history of the world, in a simulation. I think part of why Civ 2 worked was that it was not so ambitious (yes it was quite extraordinary in the bredth and depth of scope, but it was by no means exhaustive, nor as exhaustive as Mr Meier is attempting to be now.)

I'll probably buy it without waiting for the review, though. :D

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

Paradox Entertainment owns the Civilization series up the ass. Play Victoria, blows Civilization out of the water.

Looked it up, looks a lot like Europa Universalis, which is so different from Civ that you can't even compare them.

All Paradox games look the same cause they use the same engine. It's a grand strategic simulator, which is essentially what Civilization boils down to.

Is the gameplay in Victoria anything like Europa Universalis 2? I know a lot of people praise EU2 and while I had fun with it, it didn't compare to the addicting fun of the Civ series. And the depth they're adding to Civ 4 makes it sound even better than before.

I haven;'t plaued EU2 before. VIctoria is primarily not about combat but economy, diplomacy and colonialism. Combat is straight forward based upon capturing regions, several regions make up a province and many provinces make a nation.

The economic system in VIctoria is far more realistic and complex then the hokey stuff in Civilization. It takes into account ethnicity, productivity, income, etc, etc. War is often counterproductive as a long war is guaranteed to ruin your economy and send you into enormous debts you will spend the next 3 decades paying off. This discourages "rushes" or expanion for the mere sake of expansion and forces the player to economize the situation through diplomacy more often.

"For ourselves, we shall not trouble you with specious pretences- either of how we have a right to our empire because we overthrew the Mede, or are now attacking you because of wrong that you have done us- and make a long speech which would not be believed; and in return we hope that you, instead of thinking to influence us by saying that you did not join the Lacedaemonians, although their colonists, or that you have done us no wrong, will aim at what is feasible, holding in view the real sentiments of us both; since you know as well as we do that right, as the world goes, is only in question between equals in power, while the strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must."

Paradox Entertainment owns the Civilization series up the ass. Play Victoria, blows Civilization out of the water.

Looked it up, looks a lot like Europa Universalis, which is so different from Civ that you can't even compare them.

All Paradox games look the same cause they use the same engine. It's a grand strategic simulator, which is essentially what Civilization boils down to.

Is the gameplay in Victoria anything like Europa Universalis 2? I know a lot of people praise EU2 and while I had fun with it, it didn't compare to the addicting fun of the Civ series. And the depth they're adding to Civ 4 makes it sound even better than before.

I haven;'t plaued EU2 before. VIctoria is primarily not about combat but economy, diplomacy and colonialism. Combat is straight forward based upon capturing regions, several regions make up a province and many provinces make a nation.

The economic system in VIctoria is far more realistic and complex then the hokey stuff in Civilization. It takes into account ethnicity, productivity, income, etc, etc. War is often counterproductive as a long war is guaranteed to ruin your economy and send you into enormous debts you will spend the next 3 decades paying off. This discourages "rushes" or expanion for the mere sake of expansion and forces the player to economize the situation through diplomacy more often.

Sounds cool. If I can find it next time I have some extra money I might check it out.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

Yeah, I always thought that Mr Meier was a little on the pessimistic side when it came to our civilization: either that or he's a little too preachy. Even if you have all your power generated via hydo-electric or fusion reactors, your planet will turn into a swamp and lots of people die.
Well, pollution is teh debil. Seriously though, I usually researched two or three useless future techs before I finish a campaign. Some tangible futuristic technology would have been nice.

I thought Civ 3 was a little anticlimactic; then again, I remember when I first started playing Civ 2 and I discovered how long I could go without food, sleep and rest of any sort ... it's not easy re-creating a classic.
I know what you mean. I haven't played Civ 3 in a long while. :-

I like the sound of most of Civ 4, but I remain skeptical that it will work. It is very hard to include all the themes of real life, over the entire history of the world, in a simulation. I think part of why Civ 2 worked was that it was not so ambitious (yes it was quite extraordinary in the bredth and depth of scope, but it was by no means exhaustive, nor as exhaustive as Mr Meier is attempting to be now.)
Are you aware of Spore? That's exhaustive!

I'll probably buy it without waiting for the review, though.  :D

Yeah, me too. :D

I have read about it in a recent gamer magazine. It sounded pretty ambitious and very intereesting. I must say I like the sound of Victoria. Is this the game?

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I have read about it in a recent gamer magazine. It sounded pretty ambitious and very intereesting. I must say I like the sound of Victoria. Is this the game?

Yes, it is. Be warned, there's a pretty steep learning curve. Err...more like a learning cliff, actually.

In addition to the Paradox Forums, you might find VickyWiki a helpful website, in particular their Modest Guide for Brand Spanking New Players.

Trust me, unless you have lots of experience with either Europa Universallis or Hearts of Iron, you're likely to crash and burn without that guide. It helped me get into the game.

Hawk! Eggplant! AWAKEN!

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I've never had a spearman kill my tank. Infact, I think the worst I've had is a musketman killing my cavalry. And no, I don't play on chieftan or warlord.

"Who could blame Skynet? He's such a cute, innocent, steel-bolted robot."

-Gauntlet

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I've never had a spearman kill my tank.  Infact, I think the worst I've had is a musketman killing my cavalry.  And no, I don't play on chieftan or warlord.

You must be lucky then. Although I think the worst I've ever had was a Roman Legionary kill a Mech Infantry.

No polution? As long as my tanks can kill spearmen (Civ3 anyone?) I have to get this game. Finally, I won't have to deal with the global warming crap.

Is this a direct quote from George W. Bush?

Gold. :thumbsup:

Perhaps I'm the only one, but I've never had a spearman kill my tank.  Infact, I think the worst I've had is a musketman killing my cavalry.  And no, I don't play on chieftan or warlord.

Well, it sucks that the odds of each outcome are always mathematically calculated. There should be "auto-win" conditions, especially when the units fighting are from different eras. An ironclad sinking my nuclear submarine? Preposterous!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

In my orgasmic ideal world, Creative Assembly and Firaxis would join forces to create a game with all the epic battles of a next-generation Rome: Total War, but all the empire-building finesse of a next-generation Alpha Centauri.

Well...I can dream...