Would you buy KOTOR if it wasn't Star Wars?

Would you buy KOTOR if it wasn't Star Wars, but had the same gameplay, story, characters, and lazerswords?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy KOTOR if it wasn't Star Wars, but had the same gameplay, story, characters, and lazerswords?

• Yes
    • No
    • KOTOR 1 yes, KOTOR 2 no

Well yeah...I find the movies to be boring(with the exeption of 5) and most of the books I've read were crap :)

Tho I like the universe...with all these races and planets we could get a great RPG...they just need to expand on the K's ...add more races,planets,history and so on :)

the books are mostly trash some of the comix are ok. the movies are good overall. you are just not old enough to have lived through the original SW fever.

Perhaps but I have the OT on tape(the original version :) )..and I've seen it when I was very young...but I guess you're right...

I've never been able to find a comic :)

So would I buy K2 if it wasn't SW?...yes there aren't a lot of good RPG's out there :)

Kotor couldn't be something else then Starwars. Without the force, lightsabers and Jedi's, no Kotor.

So that's rather impossible me thinks... :)

I want to play sci-fi RPGs, rather than Fantasy-based RPGs, but the brutal truth is that KotOR is very shallow and depends entirely on the SW franchise to survive.

The game mechanics are far too limited (PCs are basically limited to Paladin/Blackguard classes) together with a single narrative resulting in a lack of depth and replayability. And then there is the ropey ending and buggy implementation.

OBSCVRVM PER OBSCVRIVS ET IGNOTVM PER IGNOTIVS

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I haven't been playing RPG's for long. I tried to, but the my best friend's really wack ex-boyfriend started growling at me, literally, there wasn't even a need for that...I thought he was going to choke....

Since then I've been kindda wary of role-playing, only because of him.

I'm slowly regaining my interest, so I haven't really got the RPG experience to dispute your arguments.

And Starwars holds a special place in my heart. My daddy used to live in the French-speaking part of Belgium for a while.

This is gonna sound stupid, but he couldn't get any of the usual TV-channels I liked to watch (I was 11)

There was this tape with half of "Return of the Jedi"

I watched it over and over and I loved it. Only later did I find out it was StarWars.

I was hooked.

I know StarWars has become this great marketing-thing, but it's initial idea is really cool.

I do agree Kotor lacked a bit of depth tho.

Greetings,

Saraya :D

I don't think that KOTOR depends on the Star Wars franchise to survive. Rather, it draws from it and becomes better for it. It uses the material well and should be commended for that. Obviously, basing it on Star Wars gives it some advantage, but I don't think it simply falls back on the material and hopes that the licence means it sells.

I haven't been playing RPG's for long. I tried to, but the my best friend's really wack ex-boyfriend started growling at me, literally, there wasn't even a need for that...I thought he was going to choke....

Since then I've been kindda wary of role-playing, only because of him.

I'm slowly regaining my interest, so I haven't really got the RPG experience to dispute your arguments.

And Starwars holds a special place in my heart. My daddy used to live in the French-speaking part of Belgium for a while.

This is gonna sound stupid, but he couldn't get any of the usual TV-channels I liked to watch (I was 11)

There was this tape with half of "Return of the Jedi"

I watched it over and over and I loved it. Only later did I find out it was StarWars.

I was hooked.

I know StarWars has become this great marketing-thing, but it's initial idea is really cool.

I do agree Kotor lacked a bit of depth tho.

Greetings,

Saraya :D

Well, I first saw A New Hope in Syndey in 1977, and it changed the world, and my world. It really was a seminal moment, so I count myself as a fan (though perhaps not a fanboy. So I tend to agree that the original concept is sound. (*strangled sarcastic comment about how you were so lucky to see only the first half of RotJ, rather than the second half*) I had ANH on video and watched it continually -- to the point of knowing all the dialogue -- during my teens.

Roleplaying needn't incur the horrific experience you were soiled with (your growling encounter); I can sympathise as there are quite a lot of socially inept people using RP as a sort of de facto therapy to aclimatize into the real world, after a fashion. Which is why cRPG is so attractive: no need to have awkward social interactions with socially illiterate people, just interact in the immersive world created by the developers. Perfect!

My complaint against KotOR is that it lacked sufficient depth to entice me to replay it multiple times. Specifically, the ending third of the narrative is the same, no matter what you do from the Dantooine confrontation onwards, no matter what your alignment and no matter what your choices generally throughout the game and specifically during said confrontation, which -- saddled with the bugs -- resulted in me uninstalling it; I am now playing Deus Ex and the sequel again. I would probably play KotOR before playing KotOR2 again.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

You're right Metal. It indeed doesn't matter what your allignment is, the rest is pretty straightforward.

I mean, changing to the dark side, for the PC as well as the NPC's, it should be more profound.

I mean, Mira with a skin condition should agree to your killing innocents and such.

And indeed, I like the idea of a world where you could get lost in.

It's maybe not considered a real RPG by most people, but the "Legend of Zelda" had me shedding a tear over the fact that I wasn't able to save Romani's cows.

That's immersive for ya you know? In my opinion that is :D

And my fav line of ANH is "Where did you dig up that old fossil" (w00t)

Ah, I think I'm gonna watch it anew....

About the social-case, you're right. He isn't really able to stand up to the real world.

I mean, the stories were interesting enough, it was just his way of telling them that really irked me....

Greetings,

Saraya

EDIT: Imagine this, KOTOR with the lightsaber and weapon upgrade options in KOTOR 2, sweeeeeeet :)

EDIT 2: :"> Sorry, got your name abbreviated all wrong...Meta that is :D

I'd like it a lot more if GL stood back from his plot and let some other professional writers fill in the details, flesh out the characters, the dialogue, develop the leit-motifs and themes.

Another bugbear I have with KotOR2 is the flawed philosophical exploration; it is not clear what the "big bad event we have to prevent" at the end of the story is; all we are told is that it has to be done, not what happens if we don't (will all life die, or just the Force). That's more a personal issue, I expect: not as many others are probably examining the ontological underpinnings of SW as keenly as me ... :)"

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

EDIT: Imagine this, KOTOR with the lightsaber and weapon upgrade options in KOTOR 2, sweeeeeeet  :)

EDIT 2:  :">  Sorry, got your name abbreviated all wrong...Meta that is :D

Yep, what I really was expecting from KotOR2 was the same as KotOR, just created on a much larger canvas. More worlds, more NPCs, more side quests.

:shifty: Meta is best, but technically I suppose you could abbreviate it to Meta'l! :blink:

Edit: corrected spelling

Edited by metadigital

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I'd like it a lot more if GL stood back from his plot and let some other professional writers fill in the details, flesh out the characters, the dialogue, develop the leit-motifs and themes.

Another bugbear I have with KotOR2 is the flawed philosophical exploration; it is not clear what the "big bad event we have to prevent" at the end of the story is; all we are told is that it has to be done, not what happens if we don't (will all life die, or just the Force). That's more a personal issue, I expect: not as many others are probably examining the ontological underpinnings of SW as keenly as me ... :)"

Nope, I don't think there are :shifty:

But I think, since the Force is within all life and such, and is basically 'the Engine' of Life, I'm thinking both.

Because they did mention that there were few places devoid of the Force, there were only echoes there, barren wasteland, and so on and so forth.

Indeed, the big bad was much more defined in KOTOR. Kill Malak, all is well :blink:

EDIT: Imagine this, KOTOR with the lightsaber and weapon upgrade options in KOTOR 2, sweeeeeeet  :)

EDIT 2:  :">  Sorry, got your name abbreviated all wrong...Meta that is :D

Yep, what I really was expecting from KotOR2 was the same as KotOR, just created on a much larger canvas. More worlds, more NPCs, more side quests.

:shifty: Meta is best, but tecnically I suppose you could abbreviate it to Meta'l! :blink:

Amen to both.

Greetz,

Saraya :)

Nope, I don't think there are :)

But I think, since the Force is within all life and such, and is basically 'the Engine' of Life, I'm thinking both.

Because they did mention that there were few places devoid of the Force, there were only echoes there, barren wasteland, and so on and so forth.

Indeed, the big bad was much more defined in KOTOR. Kill Malak, all is well :shifty:

Ahh, but there are inherrent contradictions in the dialogue, even between subsequent lines from the same character! Either killing the Force would end all life, or it would allow some life to remain without the pesky Force interfering. (Hence my crusade (<{POST_SNAPBACK}>)* to have Kreia consecrated as a Prophet. :cool: ).

I liked the subtle "evil is not just the pantomime villain" theme of K2; I just wish it was explored to the same extent that the themes of K1 were explored.

*Disclaimer: blatant self-aggrandizing plug neither implies nor warrants any good taste.

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT

I would have been more incline to buy the games, even K2.  I hate Star Wars.

I guess I'm always chasing that feeling I got whilst watching ANH or even ESB (which I saw in Florida). Man those films really impacted on me. Since then, though, it's been a long line of disapointments. :-

The new Doctor Who is a killer. I really take my hat off to Russell T. Davies, he has made a truly interesting story with characters I am interested in: even the dweeby guy from Corronation Street is treated in an aptly interesting way.

:cool:

ingsoc.gif

OPVS ARTIFICEM PROBAT