Cant patch Bloodlines!

Arkan

I can't patch Bloodlines! It gives me an error that says: Setup unable to determin installation version. Make sure game is properly installed and try again.

Help! D:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I can't patch Bloodlines! It gives me an error that says: Setup unable to determin installation version. Make sure game is properly installed and try again.

Help!  D:

I remember I had that same problem when the patch came out.

Eventually, I just did a fresh install.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Are there different versions of the patch? I have an imported version of the game...don't know if that would cause this or not...

If that's it, I think I may need the original exe :lol:

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

By "imported" do you mean "Imported from a different country" or "downloaded from the web"? :thumbsup:

The former.

And the game works just fine, in that I haven't really run into any bugs, but I"m experiencing severe slowdowns in areas where I shouldn't.

The install was in a different language, though the game is in English. Maybe I just need the original exe file?

Hmm...anybody want to help a poor fire elf out? :thumbsup:

:huh:

Chances are, you need the Europe (British) version of the patch. I had the same problem with Sacred; I got the Euro version (blood, gore, etc. ) off of e-bay, and had to wait for that version of the patch to come out.

BTW, if you've got the no-cd patch installed, that might also cause your problem.

:huh:

Hmm...anybody want to help a poor fire elf out? :thumbsup:

:p

You could try to extract the data with Winzip and then manually overwrite the appropriate files. If that doesn't work, look into the version.ini (I think it was called that) and change the lang = US or whatever there is. Then try to install the patch again.

It's just that the VMBL patch is an .exe file... no manual file extraction there :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

And the game works just fine, in that I haven't really run into any bugs, but I"m experiencing severe slowdowns in areas where I shouldn't.

I wouldn't bother, then. Troika didn't really address the performance problems in the patch. They claimed that people complaining about choppiness and framerate drops should just get better computers. icon3.gif

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

You mentioned that the install was in a different language.  Which language was it?

I don't really remember, though I can give you a couple of screenshots for the installation instructions that were sent with the game. I'm not familiar with the text, so I couldn't tell you from that myself...

http://img18.echo.cx/img18/5508/vamp13ph.jpg

http://img18.echo.cx/img18/7376/vamp27rp.jpg

Patching the game will correct several bugs, but performance issues will remain, unfortunately. I have heard that the problem will basically disappear using 1 Gb of RAM, but I can't confirm it since I only have 768.

Patching the game will correct several bugs, but performance issues will remain, unfortunately. I have heard that the problem will basically disappear using 1 Gb of RAM, but I can't confirm it since I only have 768.

That's what I've got, as well... :lol:

Regardless, can anybody send me the original (UK and/or US) vampire.exe?

It looks Eastern European, probably Russian, although you'd need a Russian speaker to confirm that. If so, then there's a good chance it's an illegal pirated version, despite the fact that it looks so official. I doubt that even if you got the official .exe file it would work with the rest of your game, though I guess you can try.

"An electric puddle is not what I need right now." (Nina Kalenkov)

Great...now I need to find some place that will trade 2 256 sticks for one 512 (or at least get some value for them). :shifty:

If you can, try lowering your graphics card options. I lowered some of the settings in my Radeon X800 - such as mipmap detail level and texture preference. I set these to High Performance (as opposed to High Quality), and also turned off VSync, Anti Aliasing, and Anisotropic filtering. While it won't make the game run at 80 FpS, it can help its performance. It did on mine, but I decided to stick with most of the option on the high end.