When it all comes down to KOTOR II!

Guest MacleodCorp

If it wasn't for the ending, this game would have been one of the best of all time...

Then there's the ease of combat....then there's the balance issues....then....well maybe after those extra two things were improved, it could be considered an all time great.

The ending was a major disappointment, but it wasn't the only thing keeping the game from becoming a masterpiece, IMHO of course.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Then there's the half done influence system (which in soem cases is done better in JE where you can actually influence crtain followers)... et.c et.c

Like above, KOTOR2 is a good game. That's it; that's all. Just like KOTOR1.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The player can influence the npc; not simply the npc influencing the player. The only thing is; not every follower cna be influenced.. I think it's just the romances...

"Care to name an example ? "

One can rub a mysterious fact into her father's face instead of trying to comfort him with the same fact. This same one starts off the game as baiscally sweet and naive and with the right convincing on the player's part can twist her very high ideals into darker versions and very logically yet still 'in character'...

One can rub a mysterious fact into her father's face instead of trying to comfort him with the same fact. This same one starts off the game as baiscally sweet and naive and with the right convincing on the player's part can twist her very high ideals into darker versions and very logically yet still 'in character'...

(w00t) That sounds as a great influence system...but the game doesn't seem to be liked by all...I just read some Codex comments o:)

LOL Haha. Great entertianment, right? Then again, the person you are referring to likely thinks DS is the deepest RPG ever. (w00t)

I mena he claims that there isn't multiple ways to solve quests in JE which anyone who has played it - even those who hate it - are being hoinest know that simply isn't true.

But, meh.

LOL Haha. Great entertianment, right? Then again, the person you are referring to likely thinks DS is the deepest RPG ever. (w00t)

I mena he claims that there isn't multiple ways to solve quests in JE which anyone who has played it - even those who hate it - are being hoinest know that simply isn't true.

But, meh.

Yeah...I enjoy reading the codex o:)

(w00t) That sounds as a great influence system...but the game doesn't seem to be liked by all...I just read some Codex comments o:)

Just finished multiple play throughs of JE (Im assuming that what your speaking of with the comment about mysterious fact to her father).

JE is a great and fun game but doesnt come close to comparing to KotOR1 or 2.

-It lacks the group interaction found in KotOR,

-Is way to short (25 hours to completely finish initial play through,

-Group NPC storys are less complelling then the KotOR1/2 group NPC stories.

-VERY LINEAR even more so then KotOR1 was, Some folks have been playing it like Halo, ignore the conversations and mini quests and rush to the end and win (12-14 hours front to start)

- VERY PREDICTABLE, There is no surprises in JE. Even the father thing I guessed at in stage 1 of story.

-Influence system is only for romances, everything else regarding party members can be learned by just talking to them after key events (much like KotOR1).

Still a great RPG but its not in the quality of a KotOR2 or 1, not by a long short!

*waites for Volo's reply* lurk.gif

Before Volo replies I should say that like Jade empire, Bioware again made 3 different endings to the game which was nice.

And there is some stuff in game that drastically changes depending if you go open palm (light side) or closed fist (dark side), including the addition of new party member.

Lastly, their is a (not a surprise) but (tries to think of word) unexpected turn regarding a key party member in the final encounter for the closed fist.

So please no one read that I hate JE, its a fun game, just not up to snuff when compared to KotOR1 or 2 is all.

PS: Closed fist is completely unenjoyable to play as well, you actually feel DIRTY doing the deeds, some might say this is great but I personally find this to be one of its draw backs. Course Im a hero at heart in RPGs anyways.

JE is 100x time sbetter than either KOTOR. It's also more of a RPG then ietehr than them.

"PS: Closed fist is completely unenjoyable to play as well, you actually feel DIRTY doing the deeds, some might say this is great but I personally find this to be one of its draw backs."

This is one of the reasons why it's a better RPG than the KOTOR series.

That said, you are cool so your opinion is 45% cool. (It be higher but you like the KOTOR series more and that's a no no in the eyes of this TRUE RPG fan :D ).

P.S. I'm onyl half seriosu above. Don't take it too seriosuly like others apparantly have. :lol:

JE is 100x time sbetter than either KOTOR. It's also more of a RPG then ietehr than them.

lol, saying that doesnt make it true. Back it up!

"PS: Closed fist is completely unenjoyable to play as well, you actually feel DIRTY doing the deeds, some might say this is great but I personally find this to be one of its draw backs."

This is one of the reasons why it's a better RPG than the KOTOR series.

with such limited amount of content for initial play through, Bioware needs to make sure the game has replay value. With as distasteful as closed fist is, many players (as proven on biowares own boards) who prefer being the hero can not stomach the closed fist game. So the replay value ruined.

Thats NOT good game design, RPG or not when the price tag for game so heavy and the initial play through content so limited and short!

That said, you are cool so your opinion is 45% cool. (It be higher but you like the KOTOR series more and that's a no no in the eyes of this TRUE RPG fan :D ).

*snickers* how would you know what a TRUE RPG fan likes :p

"lol, saying that doesnt make it true. Back it up!"

Huh!?! I have backed it up! read my review. :)

"Thats NOT good game design, RPG or not when the price tag for game so heavy and the initial play through content so limited and short!"

That's fantastic deisgn. It means it isn't teenie bopper evil/CF; but real CF. I love it when you cna get a slave girl to kill her wannabe master. I love it! And, that's not evil!

"how would you know what a TRUE RPG fan likes"

because I know FO2 > KOTOR2! (w00t) :blink::p

I have Jade Empire. It sucks. Good game, but it SUCKS. Why? Too short. Character development is shoddy. Plot development and twists happen much too soon and too early in the game. You meet all your people way too soon. There are no places to visit. It's linear. There is no real customization of your character. You have no choices. You go from here to there to yonder, and you're done.

At least KOTOR II has places to visit, and you don't just go from point A to point B. You can move around and explore completely different places. IT takes the whole game to gather your party.

Yes, KOTOR II has a lot of flaws, but I still stand by my first statement. I think it's because of the ending that we're picking it apart and trying to find all the other problems too. If the ending had been up to speed and had been loved, we could forgive the alignment problems, the silly bugs, things like that. Because we'd say "oh, the game's great! It's so much fun, I mean, the problems are no biggie. I just need to reload a save game or figure out the right dialogue! It's no worry!"

See, we'd be happy happy. But we're not. If they had effed up the beginning and given us a stelar ending, we still would be happy. Because whatever comes last is stuck freshest in our minds and that's what we use to judge something on a whole. Why do you think Brutus's speech failed? He went first, not last. Why do you think the Crown/D.A. speaks last? Because they'll have the better impact.

The ending is SO important. And because it's broke, it's given us space to tear apart what's a relatively good game.

Maybe I'm rambling.

Oh, and I'm female n_n

"You have no choices."

You didn't play the game. Kalfear at leats knows what he's talking about even as I disagree with him I cna see he played the game. If you had played the game; you'd know your above statement is false.

i liked the game, character interaction was good, i actually had a use for them this time, and the side quests from them depended on how much u use and talk to them, in the last one, all that mattered was what level u were or the quests just came right at u, AKA juhani, and the best one of k1, sides bastila, JOLEE-manaan and the court thing. Also this game gives ur pc more options than the old one, which granted they had to cuz it was a sequel but they did the extra work i think even though it was rushed, to make the choices as good as possible.

I agree with Kalfear's post above except:

"no customization"

Unless you mean strictly what your character is wearing; I'd have to disagree with you. There's quite a bet of customization in the game. And, definitely more than 'no'.

Do the different "classes" make much difference in game play?  I only played as that big hulking guy.

yes they actually do Ghost

I found Thousand Cuts to be much more challenging then Legendary Stike because of the range issues.

Ended up having to add a whole lot more jumping into my combat style to make sure I was in close enough range to hit.

Also found the sword styles to be WAY more powerful then the polearm style.

Oh and I HATE HATE HATE the ice and fire magic (using it I mean, heheh)

PS: Volo, I was refering to character appearence. You could customize your stats alot with the dragon amulet and the techniques you learn. Just you always looked the same from start to finish.

Which wasnt that terrible a thing as the women were scantly dressed :PPPPP heheheh

"Do the different "classes" make much difference in game play? I only played as that big hulking guy."

Kalfear, I think you missed his point. GOA, the different models don't make a difference (other than male vs. female) as they are just character models. They don't effect the game at all as you can change the stat all you want just like any RPG. Think of the differently named characters as sample characters like the HOTU prepackaged characters.

"PS: Volo, I was refering to character appearence."

Ah. Ok. That is obviously, and factually true, then. :-