Revan's fate in KotOR 3 (or later)

How do you want Revan to finish off his/her role in the KotOR story (in K3 or otherwise) ? Read topic header first before voting  

154 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want Revan to finish off his/her role in the KotOR story (in K3 or otherwise) ? Read topic header first before voting

• Unknown. (ala KotOR II)
    • Tells your character to tell Bastila/Carth he won't return
    • Returns to Republic space, back to Bastila/Carth?
    • Dies/Died, either by sacrafice, or by fighting
    • Dies by player's hand
    • Other (Post)

I know this might sound a little harsh, but I could care less what happens to the Exile.  I really couldn't.  Primarily because I have no attachment to the character whatsoever.

So, whomever develops K3 can have the Exile mopping up floors in some upscale apartment building in the remains of Upper Taris for all I care.  That pretty much goes for most of the NPCs that traveled with him/her.

I don't quite understand the people who say they didn't care for the Exile's character in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords, yet really grew attached to Revan's character in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic. (Note: I'm not targetting you, Darth Jebus. I'm not really directly replying so much as just using a part of your post to spring off into a point of my own. I just wanted to say that so that this doesn't seem like I'm attacking you or anything.) I mean, for all intents and purposes, weren't Revan and the Exile's personalities basically exactly the same in their respective games? Their backstories were different, true, but both of their personalities were pretty much determined entirely by the player. The same basic sort of dialogue options were presented for both, too. It didn't seem to me like Revan had "better" selfless ways of following the Jedi Code and redeeming himself to the Light Side of the Force in his game, or like the Exile had "better" malicious ways of committing acts of cruelty and slaughter and falling to the Dark Side of the Force in his game. (Actually, it did seem to me like the Exile had more dialogue options available to him during any given conversation than Revan had, but that doesn't entirely change my point. It also seemed to me like the Exile's backstory actually played more of a consistent role in his personality in terms of dialogue options throughout than Revan's did, but that was admittedly primarily simply because Revan's was only revealed over halfway into his game for the sake of the game's plot twist.)

Aside from their personalities, all that was really different was their backstories and their adventures over the course of their game. I thought the Exile's backstory and "hidden secret" was really interesting, personally, and I thought Revan's was as well. Revan's backstory played into his game more as a shocking plot twist and functioned more as something that changed his perspective of himself and what he should ultimately choose to do (which was a plot point that I loved), whereas the Exile's backstory played into his game more as something that he was haunted by and functioned more as something that might've led him to the numerous choices he made throughout his journey. Anyway, I've grown attached to both of them. I guess I just don't quite understand how people could've grown "attached" to Revan, while, at the same time, really disliking or not caring at all for the Exile, since, backstories aside, their personalities were basically the same throughout their games. *shrug*

But Revan...my thoughts and feelings on Revan is something entirely different.  First of all, let's just put this one thing to rest right now.  Mostly for people that seem to disagree with what I'm about to type here.  Knights of the Old Republic IS REVAN'S TALE.  Period.  Plain and simple.  There are no if, ands, or buts about it.

It would be like saying the Star Wars movies are not about Anakin Skywalker.  Sure you could make the argument that the original trilogy was about Luke and his journey.  But by the time you get to ROTJ, you discover that even Luke's saga was only a means to an end.  And only a small part of a much larger story:  the redemption of Anakin Skywalker.

As Anakin was the main focus and thrust of the Star Wars movies, so Revan is the main focus and thrust of the KOTOR era.

Nuff said.

I do agree with that. Knights of the Old Republic has been Revan's tale in the same way (or at least a similar way) as to how the films basically told Anakin Skywalker's tale. Still, regardless of that, the Exile was another important character. To continue using your comparison to the films, what would it have been like if the character of Luke Skywalker never appeared again after Star Wars: Episode IV: A New Hope? If he was just left to be forgotten as the films changed their focus onto Anakin Skywalker again? Luke Skywalker was "only a means to an end", sure, but he was still an extremely crucial character. In the same vein, the Exile has seemingly become quite a crucial character for Knights of the Old Republic himself. Both of his endings functioned in laying out a potential role for his character in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III. Either he chose to follow Revan into the Outer Rim to confront the "True" Sith Empire, in which case he could play a future role in fighting this new threat alongside Revan (whom T3-M4 said had apparently wanted to find the Exile to convince him to help him in the first place), or he chose to remain on Malachor V and assume the dark throne of the Trayus Academy, in which case he could play a future role in becoming a threat of some sort himself or perhaps something else. Besides, Revan and the Exile were polar opposites, which could play a future role as well. (Another Force Bond or something along those lines, perhaps?) Kreia described looking at Revan as "looking into the heart of the Force" and looking at the Exile as "looking at the death of the Force"...

Either way, while I do desperately hope that Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III will continue Revan's tale and will be majorly disappointed if it doesn't end up doing so, I will probably be nearly as disappointed if it doesn't end up continuing the Exile's tale as well. I think it should continue and use both to create a satisfying ending to the overall saga. Its full potential can only be met by using both characters, as far as I see it.

I want the Revan/Carth thing resolved once & for all! After the investment of time I put into their story, I want my frigging happy ending alright?! <snicker> Besides, I think we females are owed that much after being disappointed by Atton Rand (I liked the character, but he could've been a touch more communicative and/or romantic)... <chuckle> Hopefully, males will get some sort of equally satisfying ending with their preferred love object as well. :wub:

I couldn't agree more. I don't know, but after investing 40+ hours on KOTOR I, I was very disappointed to learn nothing I did really mattered, all I strived for was of little or no consquence in KOTOR II. I mean, not only in trying to play the good jedi role and save the universe, but in the relationships I built. It's kind of like The Empire Stikes Back being about Jack the Sometimes Jedi and his three nerf-herding cousins, rather than the cast I loved from A New Hope. I just don't think I would have enjoyed that as much. I want Revan back. I want Carth and Bastilla back. Basically, I want the first incarnation to be continued. I was so disappointed with KOTOR II's lack of real inclusion of the main characters from the first game, I've gone back and played it again. Hey, it says we may be called back to defend the universe again. Well, isn't it about time?

-B

I'm not so sure Revan was intended to be made the main focus of TSL. Also Revan was not at first a tragic hero character, he only becomes such after the Jedi tamper with him. If you picked the DS ending in that game it is a simple jump to have Revan realize that the Sith, as embodied by Malak, were just as much a restriction as the Jedi. This is one reason for leaving and rendering the Star Forge useless. In KOTOR you are removing a dangerous element from the Galaxy, one which you had no small part in creating, regardless of the ending you chose. The story is essentially the same in TSL.

In TSL the Exile has to undo the damage done in the war by accidently showing the 'Sith' how to kill life through the Force itself. Add to this your helping to wipe out the rest of the old Jedi who had become ineffectual as proven by Revan in the previous game. In TSL we have the set up of new Jedi who have a better understanding of what it means to live with and without the Force and a greater understanding of that connection with all life in the Galaxy than the previous Jedi and 'Sith'. TSL isn't so much the continuation of Revan's story as it is finishing off the themes of betrayal and revolution within the Force community. By the end of TSL the old Jedi and Sith from the Dark Horse universe are extinct.

If a KOTOR 3 were made it would have to play on these themes, but I doubt it will be made as a continuation of this story. Kreia already tells you of the Galaxy's future/fate, and it follows the events up to the PT.

and what ever hardships the heroes of KOTOR3 face.. it will be defeated and once again peace will rule the galaxy.. only to be shattered once again.... sheesh.. if you ask me, it kinda feels like a loop...

ok.. be honest.. how many times did the fangirls vote? Onasi Order 'OO'...

I know you're out there..

and what ever hardships the heroes of KOTOR3 face.. it will be defeated and once again peace will rule the galaxy.. only to be shattered once again.... sheesh.. if you ask me, it kinda feels like a loop...

ok.. be honest.. how many times did the fangirls vote? Onasi Order 'OO'...

I know you're out there..

Thats pretty much the nature of RPGs which are set in the same world. Unless there is something out there worth fighting, you dont have much of a game.

Think how many times you have saved the Forgotten Realms over the years.

As for KOTOR being Revans tale, no it's not. KOTOR I might have been but KOTOR II had a different protaganist as should III. The three should link in some way .But comparing a 40 hour game to a 3 hour movie is ridiculous.

I have to agree with Volourn.  Bioware is pretty much dead now.  Deals like this kills development studios.

478327[/snapback]

If a KOTOR 3 were made it would have to play on these themes, but I doubt it will be made as a continuation of this story.  Kreia already tells you of the Galaxy's future/fate, and it follows the events up to the PT.

Well, I agree with most of what you said -- about this game not simply serving to continue Revan's tale, but to introduce a new chapter and to continue expanding on the saga's themes (although I do still think Knights of the Old Republic has essentially become "The Tale of Revan (and the Exile)" regardless). However, I disagree that Kreia's final dialogue "neatly resolved everything" in the context of the series as a whole to such a point that it served as an entirely satisfying ending to the series' overall storyline. I thought it functioned quite well as a satisfying "resolution" to Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords specifically, but it was obvious that it left several things open-ended, that it was leading into a potential direct sequel. Revan's tale has not been fully resolved. He disappeared into the regions of unknown space in the Outer Rim to confront a "greater evil" that only he alone had somehow perceived, which Kreia identified as the "True" Sith Empire. The advancements in Revan's tale in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords set up an incredible premise for a great conclusion to the series in Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic III, particularly in the Light Side ending, wherein the Exile chose to follow Revan into the beyond to help him. I think we do still need an overall resolution to this storyline before the series ends up moving onto something else entirely.

• 2 months later...

yeah naga sadow, and jedi and sith remnants would have to team up, cause there's juste a few of them and the republic is crippled. revan and the exile should be two force user way more powerful than you that will fight directly the true with while you do some other mission to help them. The ending should be the same for both darksiders and lighsiders too, that way it will finish the kotor trilogy. I also think the fact of choosing to be a jedi or a sith student to be an excellent idea, since the ending is unique, you could play the game two very different way. You should be able to choose your party members yourself depending on your stats and way of playing (you might be a jedi guardian and taking a jedi counselor to back you up for example)

(oh and the clan ordo striking at the sith is inevitable in my opinion :D )

That would fit, except for the fact that Ben was the first to "become one with the force" and the reasoning why it hasn't happened before, and will later, is allegedly to be explained in Episode 3.

There's an FAQ regarding this on StarWars.com with George Lucas' own response.

Heh i know u posted this before EP3, but Qui-Gon Jinn was the first to become one with the force.