whats the most important part of making a game

I don't anything about game development. I just like the joy of playing games.

But I don't think there is a 'most difficult' part in developing a game. I suppose the designers would have to come up with a intriguing system to pull in the player, the combat system, a world interaction system, puzzles and quests that drive the story and are unique and extremely fun.

Then the programmers have to find ways to actually implement these ideas using their programming skills. They would probably have to go back and forth finding the optimal code that pulls off the ideas of the designers while not putting unnecessary strain on hardware.

The art department would have to give everything the unique look that fits the atmosphere of the game. I suppose this goes for the sound department as well. I don't think their jobs would be any easier.

Then there's the challenge of coordinating everything going on between the departments so everything fits together.

Doesn't sound easy!

Well I cant Program anything what so ever. Having played computer games since they hit the market tho I think I can give you some insite to the genres I like.

-I think the most important thing first off is the storyline for the game. The reason behind it so to speak. With the exception of simulators and some FPSs, people are drawn to the storyline. Thats what draws them in to look at the rest of the game. It could be just a few well worded sentances or pages upon pages of information, the reason behind the game is what catchs people attention first and formost.

- After that it really depends on what type of game your making. If its a RPG, you need a SOLID and indepth storyline that runs through out the entire game. A stratagy game, you need a setting that will call for stratagy and thought (not just "he who has the biggest guns wins").

Seriously I dont think you can really say any one aspect beyond storyline is most important. Different genres call for different priorities.

For example, Im a die hard MMORPG player. Been playing them for 14+ years now. I can sit down and design a MMORPG (the basics, not including actual conversations, quests, names, ect) in a matter of 8 hours. From this (IMO) any gameing company could infact design a MMORPG that would challenge the top games on the market if followed. But for that basic design there is no one area thats more important then the other. When talking MMORPGs most areas run into other areas and intertwine so to speak.

I guess the most important part of game design is having a true long time player who cares about the specific topic to guide/help you. Going back to MMORPGs, being a long time player and fan of the genre I can disect a MMORPG and show you why this game or that game was designed by non-fans and thus is failing. Having passion for the topic at hand is probably more important then any amount of code you can or cant write.

But really, isnt that true for every aspect of live. A chef thats passionate about the food he makes will be better then a chef looking to get outta the bussiness 99 time out of 100. The example can beused in just about everything from games to politics to what ever.

So having a passion towards the topic would be my answer to your question.

in ur opinion, what was the most important, difficult, and challenging part of making kotor2 work and all the pieces come together?

Most important: none. All parts are important, none can be neglected.

Most difficult: IMO, software engineering and all related areas, since it is the newest and most unstable industry, and most problems with games (delayed releases, missed milestones) are related to software part. Consequently, project managing for games is difficult as well.

in ur opinion, what was the most important, difficult, and challenging part of making kotor2 work and all the pieces come together?

If you really want a member of the devteam to answer, you should make it clearer in the topic, that its their attention you're asking for.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

• 3 weeks later...

If think the game and level designs are the most critical parts of the job. If the level is just a boring bunch of rooms, this won't be funny at all. It's obviously important to have good gameplay idea behind this and why not a good storyline, but games like Doom 3 show this is not the most important. Storyline is important in RGP and other story driven games, but you can have a very good FPS without any scenario better than "they cut you a finger, now kill them all".