lord of the rings - battle of pelennor...

random evil guy

I like all three movies equally. If I had a job and money the RotK extended edition would be mine. When it is I plan on dubbing all three movies on tho my computer, and rework the scenes (if possible) to make one long uncut version and watch it. (tee hee)

Okay, maybe that would eb just a little extreme.

Philippa Boyens (one of the screenwriters), made a comment a while ago about doing a "chronological cut" of the film, that recuts the movie so as to follow the exact chronology, from the battle with Sauron, to the finding of the ring by Deagol and so on and so forth, in exact order of events.

Not sure if that's really going to happen or not though, or if it was just her thinking aloud in public.

Last night I started watching the ROTK extras, and there apparently were scenes filmed that followed up on the other characters after everything was over. They showed small glimpses of them; I want those back in the film!

PJ comments lots in the interviews over all the films that the main story for the films was Frodo taking the ring to Mount Doom, and so everything else was secondary to that story, so when cuts needed to be made, that's where they looked.

However, I always found the parts that focused on the other characters more enjoyable than the parts that focused on Frodo; I found the other characters more interesting.

So I'd very much like to see an "extended" Extended Edition with the stories of the other characters finished.

newlogo.gif

The Scouring of the Shire and Tom Bombadil freeing the Hobbits from Old Man Willow. Man, those were brilliantly done! Oh, and Glorfindel glowing with the light of Valanar! Awesome!

Oh, wait...Jackson didn't even script those scenes for the movies! How could I be so dense?

Honestly, Fellowship was my fave movie. I hated TTT, as it deviated too much from the source material, and was just not done well IMO. RotK I had some issues with (most notably being the abscence of the inestimable Mr. Christopher Lee, and Legolas' slaying of the oliphant), but was markedly better than TTT.

Favorite scenes: Moria (excellently done); the introduction of Strider (just how I had always pictured him sitting); Strider saluting and then slaughtering the Uruk-hai on Amon Sur; the Marshes (gave me a great creepy vibe); Sam vs. Shelob (poke that Attercop!); and some others that I can't think of right now.

Of course, IMO the most beautiful thing in the movies was Hobbiton; man, that was just gorgeous.

my fave scene.....boromirs death, that is one of the first heroic and prolonged death scenes i have seen done properly, not to much panting/drooling/whining. just right, i was very dissapointed boromir dies so early, damn tolkien damn him :ph34r:

worst thing, the dead army, that was such a get out clause when they just ran in like a big wave and finished the biggest ever battle of middle earth in ten seconds

hah

my fave scene.....boromirs death, that is one of the first heroic and prolonged death scenes i have seen done properly, not to much panting/drooling/whining. just right, i was very dissapointed boromir dies so early, damn tolkien damn him :ph34r:

Well, you get more of him in the book of course. And the extended films add more of his character throughout (via "flashbacks"), so that's nice.

worst thing, the dead army, that was such a get out clause when they just ran in like a big wave and finished the biggest ever battle of middle earth in ten seconds

Yeah, in the theatrical version, that was a bit... convenient. The extended version makes it work a bit more by at least giving more background to the situation.

newlogo.gif

Philippa Boyens (one of the screenwriters), made a comment a while ago about doing a "chronological cut" of the film, that recuts the movie so as to follow the exact chronology, from the battle with Sauron, to the finding of the ring by Deagol and so on and so forth, in exact order of events.

Not sure if that's really going to happen or not though, or if it was just her thinking aloud in public.

Last night I started watching the ROTK extras, and there apparently were scenes filmed that followed up on the other characters after everything was over. They showed small glimpses of them; I want those back in the film! 

PJ comments lots in the interviews over all the films that the main story for the films was Frodo taking the ring to Mount Doom, and so everything else was secondary to that story, so when cuts needed to be made, that's where they looked.

However, I always found the parts that focused on the other characters more enjoyable than the parts that focused on Frodo; I found the other characters more interesting.

So I'd very much like to see an "extended" Extended Edition with the stories of the other characters finished.

Yeah there's some awesome stuff on the special edition ROTK, especially "The Mouth of Sauron" scene. That part was great, too bad it was deleted.

Yeah, in the theatrical version, that was a bit... convenient. The extended version makes it work a bit more by at least giving more background to the situation.

actually, i prefer the theatrical version beacuse of this. i hadn't read the book prior to watching the movie, so when the army of the dead arrives, it is a big surprise. when aragorn first jumped off the boat, i didn't know what to think. in the extended version we get to see aragorn and the army of the dead taking over the boats; thus ruining the element of surprise. now, all lotr fanboys might say "hey it's no surprise, it says so in the book". bah, this movie was made for the public. not just lotr fans....

actually, i prefer the theatrical version beacuse of this. i hadn't read the book prior to watching the movie, so when the army of the dead arrives, it is a big surprise. when aragorn first jumped off the boat, i didn't know what to think. in the extended version we get to see aragorn and the army of the dead taking over the boats; thus ruining the element of surprise. now, all lotr fanboys might say "hey it's no surprise, it says so in the book". bah, this movie was made for the public. not just lotr fans....

That's why the cuts were made for the theatrical version. The extended editions are clearly more for the LOTR fans, and Jackson has said as much in interviews.

newlogo.gif

my fave scene.....boromirs death, that is one of the first heroic and prolonged death scenes i have seen done properly, not to much panting/drooling/whining. just right, i was very dissapointed boromir dies so early, damn tolkien damn him 

Yeah I love that scene.

Agree with everything in this post.

Boromir was my fav character, the fallen hero who seeks redemption. His story just really got through to me more than any other characters.

I personally liked Boromir's departure from Osgiliath in the TTT extended edition: "Remember today little brother...". That whole flashback added a lot to both his and Faramir's characters, and even tried to explain the very awkward portrayal of Denethor and Faramir in the movies.

Some other favorite scenes of mine would be Frodo finally succumbing to the ring at Mount Doom and the intercuts with the battle before the Black Gate. Also, Gandalf fighting the Balrog in the beginning of TTT really gave me the shivers the first time I saw it, especially the perfectly coordinated music score.

my fave scene.....boromirs death, that is one of the first heroic and prolonged death scenes i have seen done properly, not to much panting/drooling/whining. just right, i was very dissapointed boromir dies so early, damn tolkien damn him 

Yeah I love that scene.

Agree with everything in this post.

Boromir was my fav character, the fallen hero who seeks redemption. His story just really got through to me more than any other characters.

I take bit back what I said. That is very gripping scene. Boromir blowing his :) horn and slowly backing away while protecting merrin and pippin. And those arrows and still figthing... :( Then again it was made very well in the animated version as well, but this time boromir

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

Scenes I thought were done well in the film considering the source material.

-Bilbo's Birthday Speech (most of the Shire scenes were fine)

-Strider smoking a joint in the Prancing Pony (like deganawida pointed out)

-The Ringwraiths at Weathertop, where the witch-king stabs Frodo. (one of my favorites from the book)

-Moria, specifically the maiar stand off on the bridge. (Gandalf's priceless dialog)

-Gandalf's fall with the balrog and the battle atop Zirakzigil (Glamdring the Foehammer is one cool sword)

-Gandalf's return in Fangorn Forest (I'm back and Its time to kickass and chew bubble gum)

-Flooding of Isengard (Ent pwnage)

-Theodens Charge (Although not as good as in the book)

-Shelobs Lair (Although I wish Sam used the One Ring like in the book)

The Voice of Saruman was one of my favorite chapters from the book, the film version in the extended edition was a lot different, but still entertaining.

That's why the cuts were made for the theatrical version. The extended editions are clearly more for the LOTR fans, and Jackson has said as much in interviews.

yeah and it makes perfect sense. still, that is why i also prefer the theatrical version.

btw, what is this mouth of sauron thing...?

He is in the extended version and if you don't have the EE of the movies you need to. They added great amount of material in the EEs that makes the whole series better and make more sense.

The Mouth of Sauron was played by the actor who played the helocopter pilot from the Mad Max mvoies. Don't remember his name, sorry, but damn he was freaky.

I liked Sourman's, my name for the bugger, death at the beginning of RotK. I found it funny that the acotr Christopher Lee told Jackson the proper sound one makes when being stabbed in the back. They hinted that it was due to his personal experience during Lee's time as a british soldier during WW2 in the Appendixes.

I found it funny that the acotr Christopher Lee told Jackson the proper sound one makes when being stabbed in the back.  They hinted that it was due to his personal experience during Lee's time as a british soldier during WW2 in the Appendixes.

That was hilarious. Lee talking very seriously about it, and sounding very sinister, and then Jackson's "smile and nod" response.. "Ok, I'll trust you to know what is best" kind of thing.

newlogo.gif