(6_2)_8_9_1=13 Duxn: Is it bugged?

Is the math problem on Duxn bugged?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Is the math problem on Duxn bugged?

• Yes
    • No

from vhttp://www.grimwell.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1202

A quick Python script says these are the only ones that equal 13:

(6*2)-8+9*1

(6*2)-8+9/1

If you ignore remainders (stupid computer integer math), you also have:

(6*2)+8/9+1

(6*2)-8/9+1

Because 8/9 is 0.

Edit: Also, if it's allowed be negative and stupid computer integer math, you have all these:

(6-2)-8-9*1

(6-2)-8-9/1

(6*2)+8/9+1

(6*2)-8+9*1

(6*2)-8+9/1

(6*2)-8/9+1

(6/2)-8-9+1

but NONE of them work! (w00t) Anybody else?

(6_2)_8_9_1=13 can I ask what you are trying to figure out with this question? because it seems rather straight forward that only the first two = 13 or I am wondering what this topic is all about exactly.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

So I was asking, if this is a bug, because I can't get it to work for anything. I googled the equation and it seems lots of people have this problem... so... yeah.

It's a good username for this forum though.

well if you follow the rules of bedmas (brackets, expoinents, division, multiplication, addition, subtraction; with division and multiplication being interchangable with one another and subtraction and addition also being interchangable with one another as to which comes first from the left to the right) then the first two (i.e. (6*2)-8+9*1=13 and (6*3)-8+9/1=13) do infact work out to the supposed total of 13. While the others in your list don't work out. So the question would figure out like so

(6*2)-8+9*1=13

(12)-8+9*1=13

4+9*1=13

13*1=13

or

(6*2)-8+9/1=13

(12)-8+9/1=13

4+9/1=13

13/1=13

here is how the rest of them would figure out just so you know

(6*2)+8/9+1= 2.22

(6*2)-8/9+1= 0.44

(6-2)-8-9*1= -13

(6-2)-8-9/1= -13

(6*2)+8/9+1= 3.22

(6*2)-8/9+1= 0.44

(6/2)-8-9+1= -13

Hope that helps a bit.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

AscendedPaladin.png

Ok, here it is.... as far as I can figure out, the thing is either bugged or...

A.) Have to be LS (doubtful).

B.) Been through the hidden tomb on Korriban.

C.) Stepped into the DS cloud.

D.) Specific char. in your group (don't see how that would effect it... but whatever, mine were Handmaiden, HK-47, and Visas... that was when it worked.)

Or of course it could be from some totally random thing you do in the game but it seems most likely it's just bugged.

ok am I missing something or what? because from what I remembered it was just a simple grade school math problem so whats the problem? is it not working for you even when you do enter the correct symbols or what? if so then its more than likely bugged since it should work no matter who is in the party at the time. So more info if you please.

AscendedPaladin.png

ok then try it with either T3 or Bao-Dur in your party because they will have a high computer skill. When I tried it I had T3 and had no problems.

AscendedPaladin.png

Yes, I was Bao Dur, I know the equation, I figured it out quickly as well.

I didn't find the hidden tomb on Korriban though... :o

Also, according to PEMDAS order of operations, addition happens before subtraction so the equation would actually be

(12) - (8 + 9) / 1 = -5

(12) - (8 + 9) * 1 = -5

because you subtract last.

right?

just saying...,

Actually the order of operations is fine, addition as subtraction can be done in any order and multiplication/division come first, after parantheses and all that. But anyway, that doesn't matter the thing just has to be bugged, and as for the Tomb... a little off topic, but it's in the Shyrak(sp?) cave in the very back where, I believe you can get Qel-Droma's Robe in Kotor I.

Yes, I was Bao Dur, I know the equation, I figured it out quickly as well.

I didn't find the hidden tomb on Korriban though... :o

Also, according to BEMDAS order of operations, addition happens before subtraction so the equation would actually be

(12) - (8 + 9)  / 1 = -5

(12) - (8 + 9)  * 1 = -5

because you subtract last.

right?

just saying...,

there are no brackets around the 8 and 9 so it should look like (12)-8+9*1 or /1 which ever you choose.

I would say its broken.

AscendedPaladin.png

Actually,  it is not bugged, but the instructions could be better.  You can use each operand only once; therefore the correct answer is

(6 * 2) - 8 + 9 / 1 = 13

(6*2)-8+9*1=13

that is correct.... it has worked for me on ls and ds i dont know what you're doing wrong <.<

Every time I tried the first it worked No Problems. Every time I tried the last I get shocked. I do also use my best Character at Computer Skill who generally has a high Security also. Maybe that"s the difference??? :shifty:

Ive found that somethings you have to load up from the planet/place you were before to get rid of the bugs. This for me has resulted in replaying maybe about 20 or 30 hrs EASILY. Sometimes Ive had to go 2 steps back at about 6 or 8hrs and one sickener of 18 hrs, though replaying it its a lot quicker haha ...