Endings

From the movie "Clerks":

Randal Graves: Which did you like better? "Jedi" or "The Empire Strikes Back?"

Dante Hicks: "Empire."

Randal Graves: Blasphemy.

Dante Hicks: "Empire" had the better ending. Luke gets his hand cut off, finds out Vader is his father, Han gets frozen, taken away by Boba Fett. It ends on such a down note. I mean, that's what life is, a series of down endings. All "Jedi" had was a bunch of Muppets.

Don't ask me why, I just thought this was appropriate for the situation.

I just finished the game, and I have to say that I do understand where people are coming from when they get upset about the ending. The last few levels weren't terribly inspired, I wanted more interaction with my companions, and there were definitely loose ends. I get the feeling that the stage was set for a much more dramatic finale, had the devs been given more time.

Well, we work with what we have, don't we? The situation is often not ideal. With what time Obsidian had, I think that they did well in making a dark, suspenseful ending that will set the stage for future installments. Like in "Empire," very little is resolved, but all the pieces are in place for a big finale.

I'm reminded of the movie "Apocalypse Now." After a filming troubled by sickness, finances, prima donna stars, and, yes, radical rebel insurgents, they were supposed to have an ending where Willard and Kurtz join forces to fight off a huge Viet Cong attack on Kurtz's compound. for anyone who has seen the movie, even the director's cut that came out recently, that's not even close to what they ran with, a talky, improviesed, and dark tale of murder and duty. "Apocalypse Now" is now considered one of the top 100 movies of all time, despite the confusing ending and loose ends.

Will The Sith Lords be remembered similarly? Time will tell, I suppose.

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

thanks for the thoughtful commentary about the ending...I was starting to get worried for february

You're welcome. Honestly, Star Wars hits so close to home for so many people, I understand why they get upset about these things. But in the final analysis, I think that the whole thing won't be a wasted effort.

Dracomicron

Hoary Veteran

Formerly Draconis, Master of Deception

Head ST for Demon and Orpheus on Blood Chronicles online chat

thanks for the thoughtful commentary about the ending...I was starting to get worried for february

You're welcome. Honestly, Star Wars hits so close to home for so many people, I understand why they get upset about these things. But in the final analysis, I think that the whole thing won't be a wasted effort.

Dracomicron, you deserve respect for handling this so well.

I think the reason most people are upset is the fact that you don't get to play Revan, you don't get to make up your character's past (you actually DIDN'T in KOTOR if you answered Bastie's questions "truthfully".) you don't have your first crew come back, and it's made by another game dev. Look, let's snipe at the new developer. They don't have another game to back them up! Hee-hee-hee, so much fun.

I said before that I wouldn't take reviews seriously if people were paid to be critical of a game. I also won't take the complaints on this game seriously if you spent $50, were expecting shock and horror, and go around this board like you're a 14-year-old boy. Congratulations, everyone who has been complaining en masse: You're officially unloved.

Oh, and there is a thread in the Spoiler forum as well that should resolve questions for those who are too lazy to think it through. :thumbsup:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll resume waiting in a dark room and twitching until Febuary.

Fnord.

I finished late last night and also enjoyed the ending quite a bit. It seemed very reminiscent of Planescape: Torment in that the resolution comes in a final conversation not some bombastic fmv sequence. Also like PS:T the ending is left open but the resolution of the main character's story arc gives you a good idea of what will happen in the end. The only area where the ending pales in comparison to PS:T is the emotional impact and I think that stems partly from the fact that the last few areas of the game get rather muddled in terms of storytelling. I think it'll take another playthrough before I truly understand who and what The Exile was and what exactly the villian had wanted with him. Since it's difficult to fully grasp all of that in the first playthrough the emotional impact just wasn't as strong as PS:T. Despite that I found the ending far superior to the first KotOR, especially in terms of conveying what ends up happening to the planets you visit.