Designer Rambling: PC Causality/Triggered Events

/ Begin PC-Causality Events

In K2, we made an attempt to make some events more PC reactive-dependent. I'm not sure exactly if those last three words belong crushed together like that, but hopefully they should give you a sense of what I mean.

These aren't everywhere in the game, but we tried to have events triggered on the player's dark side and light side gains, no matter where the player is in the galaxy - when the player hits a certain amount of light side and dark side points, these events will advance the plot (or reinforce it).

We weren't able to do this as much as we'd like (they're hard to pull off and usually have to be hard-coded), but we have some key events that are triggered by the player's actions rather than having them triggered off of some polygon you step onto in the game world.

The intention with this was that we thought it would make the PC feel more special if it was more obvious that things were occuring, not because you hit a linear trigger, but because you were the one who set the fuse to the explosives through your actions or through a change in your personality.

/ End PC-Causality Events

Yeah another Rambling (w00t) thanks for the info! :lol:

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Thanks, it will be interesting to see how it works.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Does this mean certain events won't occur if your alignment is different than what is needed for it to occur? For instance, if a DS event occurs when you have sufficient DS points, then will this never occur if you are LS?

Or did I completely miss what you posted. :lol:

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Thanks for the info chris!

Welcome to the Pink side of the Force

Revenge is a dish best served in a warm, pink tupperware dish!

Grrrr to Atris! Snooty, stuck-up little....

Pink Side Master to Darth Gandalf, Trooper, Ronil Organ, Bokishi, Mr_Dashman, Stargate: 2000, mista_me, DarthDoGooder, GarethCarrots, Ludozee, and Obi-Wan Kenobi

Does this mean certain events won't occur if your alignment is different than what is needed for it to occur?  For instance, if a DS event occurs when you have sufficient DS points, then will this never occur if you are LS?

Or did I completely miss what you posted.  :ermm:

Yes.

I'm not a developer but I play one on TV.

{:thumbsup:}

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Does this mean certain events won't occur if your alignment is different than what is needed for it to occur?  For instance, if a DS event occurs when you have sufficient DS points, then will this never occur if you are LS?

Or did I completely miss what you posted.  :ermm:

Yes.

I'm not a developer but I play one on TV.

{:thumbsup:}

Yes to what? Grrr women! :(

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

Yes to what?  Grrr women!  :(

Example:

At DarkSide levels 25, 50, and 100 certain events are triggered.

At LightSide levels 25, 50, and 100 certain events are triggered.

A lightsider won't get the dark ones, a darksider won't get the light ones and the greys? :thumbsup: They get to fly their little space ship. But nothing else!

{:huh:}

Replayability.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Good info Chris.. I like this new system. I remember back on Tantooine on K1 when your staring at the 3 dark jedi outside of the swoop racing cantina. You see them and they see you but they don't attack you till you step towards them. :thumbsup::huh:" It's amusing at first...

Yes to what?  Grrr women!  :(

Example:

A lightsider won't get the dark ones, a darksider won't get the light ones and the greys? :huh: They get to fly their little space ship. But nothing else!

{:(}

Replayability.

Yes, that's how I understood it as well.

Nice stuff, btw. With so much replayability I don't think I'll have time to play it enough to find out everyting. :thumbsup:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

Example:

A lightsider won't get the dark ones, a darksider won't get the light ones and the greys? :thumbsup: They get to fly their little space ship. But nothing else!

{:huh:}

Replayability.

That's how I understood it as well. I was just wondering if you were answering yes to my explanation, or yes to my statement about not understanding Chris' post.

Now I have a headache.