Knights of the New Republic

And I say this "EU" building is built on poor foundations, and infested with termites feeding of the dollar bills of true star wars fan, tear it down start again........was that a metaphor?

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Not necessarily in what you say but in the way you present your case.

I present my "case" by simple presentation of facts. Anti-EU fundamentalists then

throw their ritual "this isn't canon only movies are" or "books are lame and stinks" or something like that. Such arguments are illogical cause TSL is same EU as novels and comics, and should be correct with them.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

of nature at times when the celestial spheres were well aligned.

SOCRATES:

This I doubt. We are hearing a child's tale.

Yes but when the novels aren't even 100% correct and you worship them, then when a game is off, maybe you should cut them a little slack

People laugh when I say that I think a jellyfish is one of the most beautiful things in the world. What they don't understand is, I mean a jellyfish with long, blond hair.

Although I will agree with you Nur Ab, the way you present your case is often simplistic

is it really going to affect your life in a major way if TSL isn't entirely correct with the EU?

It probably would judging by the way your obessed.....

Not much but since Star Wars are among my major interests and I want SW to be as coherent as possible (just like I want Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms to be as coherent as possible) I would feel distaste in case of TSL's suspected EU mistakes.

HERMOCRATES:

Nur Ab Sal was one such king. He it was, say the wise men of Egypt, who first put men in the colossus, making many freaks

SOCRATES:

In regards to following EU material closely:

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

"P-O-T-A-T-O-E" - Dan Quayle

Not much but since Star Wars are among my major interests and I want SW to be as coherent as possible (just like I want Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms to be as coherent as possible) I would feel distaste in case of TSL's suspected EU mistakes.

Actually, so far it's Bioware's "mistake". We haven't seen Obsidian's final product yet, so we can't make definite statements only based on their interviews about what they might or might not have said.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

There's a big difference with Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, they are not derived from a movie, there authors had there own characters and only wanted to write in a pre established world with set rules, and in the case of Forgotten Realms D&DA rules. Star Wars books after ROTJ with the exception of X-Wing books are all based off of the futher adventures of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc.

Its only natural that some Star Wars fans, who love it as much if not more than you, aren't going to want Luke to fall to the DS because they cloned his father and the Emperor, they don't want Chewie to die fighting some bio mechinical race of S&Mers, and don't want Princess Leia to waver on her love for Han, because some Prince comes from a "closed off section of the galaxy, blah blah blah

Its only fair that these people get a chance to preserve their ideas of what the Star Wars galaxy is like and not have it tainted by poor storytelling

"Luke, you're going to find that many of the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view."

Goosh another magic formula of the anti-EU movement.

Used first by an old liar Obi-Wan to cover his obvious lie, now by Leferd to cover the fact that EU (despite few mistakes) is quite coherent in its timeline and there are no points of view.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

There's a big difference with Dragonlance and Forgotten Realms, they are not derived from a movie, there authors had there own characters and only wanted to write in a pre established world with set rules, and in the case of Forgotten Realms D&DA rules. Star Wars books after ROTJ with the exception of X-Wing books are all based off of the futher adventures of Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, etc.

Its only natural that some Star Wars fans, who love it as much if not more than you, aren't going to want Luke to fall to the DS because they cloned his father and the Emperor, they don't want Chewie to die fighting some bio mechinical race of S&Mers, and don't want Princess Leia to waver on her love for Han, because some Prince comes from a "closed off section of the galaxy, blah blah blah

Its only fair that these people get a chance to preserve their ideas of what the Star Wars galaxy is like and not have it tainted by poor storytelling

Is it a bad thing that I know exactly which books/comics/novels you're referencing with each of your above examples? ;)

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

No, I think that it probaly has a lot to do with the same reason why I read them, and can reference them

Wow. I didn't realize that there was an anti-EU movement. Did they re-instate the draft or something? Cuz I sure didn't know of this movement...

"Used first by an old liar Obi-Wan to cover his obvious lie, now by Leferd to cover the fact that EU (despite few mistakes) is quite coherent in its timeline and there are no points of view."

Wow you really do take this thing very seriously. Right down to its black and white world view.

"Things are funny...are comedic, because they mix the real with the absurd." - Buzz Aldrin.

Why couldn't they set it 4000 years in the future of ROTJ that way all those who choose to live their lives based on the EU scriptures wouldn't be offended!

Goosh another magic formula of the anti-EU movement.

Used first by an old liar Obi-Wan to cover his obvious lie, now by Leferd to cover the fact that EU (despite few mistakes) is quite coherent in its timeline and there are no points of view.

Acctually thats you opinion as to there only being EU and no points of veiw, but the truth be told with every person who picks up the books they will have their own perspective into the EU. I know I don't know anything about EU but I can speak when it comes to other comics like spiderman and superman I mean with every person who picks them up likes different characters, different story lines, etc. and when things change they will either except it or bitch about it, for a good example of this I would have to mention the Clone saga in spiderman, its too long to go into detail but, a lot of people thought it was the worst idea because it changed the history of spiderman a fair bit, others liked it because of the same reason. So it just goes to show that everyone has a different opinion on what they call important.

"The only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits!" - Albert Einstein.

"It's better to be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt!"

"You can try to kill me, you'd fail!, but you can try!" - Revan.

"When you have exhausted all other possibilities whatever remains, however improbable must be the truth." - Sherlock Holmes (a.k.a. Sir Arthur Conan Dole)

"A lack of planning on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part"

AscendedPaladin.png

Wow. I didn't realize that there was an anti-EU movement. Did they re-instate the draft or something? Cuz I sure didn't know of this movement...

"Used first by an old liar Obi-Wan to cover his obvious lie, now by Leferd to cover the fact that EU (despite few mistakes) is quite coherent in its timeline and there are no points of view."

Wow you really do take this thing very seriously. Right down to its black and white world view.

Man it was a simple joke. Just like my "anti-eu conspiracy". It is you who are taking things too serious.

HERMOCRATES:

SOCRATES:

No the anti-eu conspiracy is real

Is it a bad thing that I know exactly which books/comics/novels you're referencing with each of your above examples? :unsure:

i know too and it scares me as well. :( why did i read those why

the force is what gives a jedi his power. its an energy field created by all living things. it surrounds us and penetrates us. it binds the galaxy together

"lol try not to set him off please..Lets try to keep the childish bickering to a minimum k? thanks for cooperation"

okie doke. But with the caveat that I do think bickering happens to be fun =)

"Man it was a simple joke. Just like my "anti-eu conspiracy". It is you who are taking things too serious."

If you say so. Believe you me, I'm cracking up over this whole thing. With that, I'll go off on my own business and watch the rest of this *cough* debate as a warm up to tonight's US Presidential debate.

Wow this truly degenerated since the last time I looked at it...last night! :blink:

First of all I stick to everything I said in my previous post. :)

So where to begin:

Nur: I get what you're saying. But from the various responses you've made here about how KotOR was so screwed up by Bioware, how Avellone and co are so inept, sounds to me you're not a fan of this game's series at all. What are you doing here? I mean if KotOR is so hopelessly terrible because of its lack in continiuty to the EU shouldn't you be focusing on some games that are more suited to what you like or what you are looking for?

Also if Lucasbooks was to set the story for the KotNR game basing itself on the EU developed storylines you'd also lose a whole lot of players who frankly dislike the EU and what's being done with it. While there are many people that love the EU there are just as many that don't. Which is why I believe that games such as KotOR or JA include EU references (Such as Nomi Sunrider, Corran Horn, Tionne, Marka Ragnos, etc) but ultimately focus on an independent story and set of villains other than generic parties such as the Empire or Sith. This way they can appease the people who like the EU by giving special nods to it but also give something else to those that don't like the EU.

A TotJ question for you also, shouldn't the Jedi of this time period also wear armors and their Lightsabers have a cable that connects to a battery pack on the belt? I've seen depictions of the KotOR knights this way, while I'm fine without the battery pack, I really wish we could have gotten true knight armor and helmets along with the new robes. So here's one complaint from me on something I think should have been placed from the comics or novels. :)

ShadowFaxIV: I agree with you completely that people seem to forget that this is all material to be enjoyed instead of fighting over the details.

You have to remember Shadow that not all people consider the games to be part of the EU timelines, I myself don't. I think that game devs can use the EU as a base for their games or incorporate aspects from the novels and comics to give a bigger sense of history but I don't think they are based on the EU completely. If I understood that one game must be part of the EU continuity then all games must fall under this. This would mean that Rebellion somehow must find a place in the timeline, Rebel Assault, Bounty Hunter, Ep1 Racer and Starfighter, X-Wing Alliance, even Galaxies would have to be placed inside. Many of these games contradict either themselves, the novels or even the movies sometimes. In X-Wing Alliance the protagonist flies the Millenium Falcon in the run against the second Death Star instead of Lando and Nien Nunb. I don't remember correctly but didn't the player also run the original Death Star trench run in Rebel Assault 1?. Galaxies now has Jedi vs Sith despite the fact that the Purge is supposedly occured, sure we have bounty hunters that hunt Jedi down but by the time the Death Star was destroyed having Jedi vs Sith confrontations was to my understanding unheard of. Even games like the original Jedi Knight disregarded the One Master/Disciple rule of the Sith and had 7 Sith Lords, I don't recall anyone complaining about that at the time. These are really crap examples but hopefully you get what I'm trying to say.

I get that EU people want the games to follow what's been done in the EU exactly and to be honest I have no problem with that as far as we're not talking Vong and NJO. However I'm also fine with games not following the EU exactly, to be honest I almost see the KotOR games as completely independent stories outside the SW timeline, as I play them it feels kinda like my own story and my own world that just happens to be based on SW. The kotOR games have not gotten everything the way I joped to see it either, I wished Korriban's valley was a hell of a lot bigger, I wish the Sith were not like the Empire and more like the Jedi in organization, etc. But I truly love the KotOR games and quite frankly feel they are, for me. the best SW games I have ever played. So hopefully we can go back to trying to enjoy what the game will provide as opposed to continue to complain about what it will lack, because for people who like the EU or not, I can assure you that everyone has something they'd wish was in KotOR but isn't.

Wow, you actually read all that ^? He, he, sorry for the long posts again Nur :)

It's just a game it is supposed to be fun.

I've read a bit of EU and I liked it, but I don't think that games should follow strictly these lines. Games inevitable give your PC a greater freedom to do what he wants.

KOTOR couldn't coexist peacefully with EU material since at KOTOR we have 2 possible endings, whereas in movies, books and comics there is always one ending and story.

PS Both sides should try and take it a bit easier..

And by the light of the moon

He prays for their beauty not doom

A TotJ question for you also, shouldn't the Jedi of this time period also wear armors and their Lightsabers have a cable that connects to a battery pack on the belt?

The lightsabers with battery packs were around 5000 years before A new Hope.

In 4000 years before A new hope, the lightsabers went cordless.