Darth Sidious and Palpatine

As far as I am aware they are the same person but on starwars.com it does not recognise that this is true as they have separate entries in the databank.

I just wanted to know what other people thought about this?

Another great idea by the people who brought you beer milkshakes!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Of course they are... how could they not be?

I'll really boggle if they turn out to be two different people. Of course, Lucas has shredded the script before... :)

Maybe David Brin's prediction that the Emperor and Yoda are twin evils in league against Vader and the Good Guys will yet come true (link forgotten) :)

They have to be! but i suppose GL is waiting to reveal that in Ep 3!

"I don't see a problem...then again, SW isn't my life, so what do I know...." - some who makes 27.8 post per day on a SW forum!

Yes but in 4, 5 + 6 he is not refered to as Darth Sidious or Palpatine, just the Emperor.

He's refered to as Emperor Palpatine after The original Trilogy. Being able to throw lightning out of his fingertips also points, somewhat, to him being a dark-sider :p

Not to mention that the political movements in the new trilogy show Palpatine gaining sole control over the republic leading to the disolving of the republic, the creation of the imperial senate etc. Don't forget the physical and oral resembelence either.

It is the same actor.

It's the same character as well. They just haven't revealed this in the storyline in Star Wars. Hence, it's not in their database.

If you want further proof they are the same, look at the entries for Darth Sidious, Senator/Chancellor Palpatine in the prequel movie time frame in the Star Wars D20 source books. Then compare that against the Emperor in the original movie timeframe in the rules. They are the same.

I an just wondering why he was never refered to as Sidious in the first films as GL was not going to do them originally, or do u think this name has been invented for the new movies?

Invented for the new movies. Enough time (a generation) had probably passed since he became Emperor and no longer used the name Darth Sidious to hide his true intentions that the name was no longer in common use, had been forgotten.

Spoiler (for those who didnt read a certain give away post)

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Darth Sidious is Palpatine, as said it hasnt been formally revelead in the current films yet and alot of people cant spot the simple clue thats its the same actor (just look at the entries pictures and Ep1)....though granted alot of sci-fi sows use the same actors to flesh out several roles (Babylon 5 springs to mind).

I dont know why hes only reffered to as Emperor in the original films, maybe he had no name at that time or maybe the writers fought it sounded better to just have him known by his title (in the way some books refer to The Enemy, nothing more).

He is referred to as Emperor Palpatine in the original movies. The Palpatine name may not have been revealed until the third movie but I remember it being revealed. That's how in the Phantom Menace I immediately recognized who Senator Palpatine (who is also the same actor who played him in ROTJ).

But why would he give up his Sith name?

Spoilers:

They are one and the same. The 2 prequels already released the beginning and middle of his ingenious plot to overthrow the republic. He had the trade federation blockade and invade naboo, this was for the purpose of killing padme amidala after the treaty was signed or possibly before to turn the trade federation into a threat to gain him more support. Thus his prime oponet in creating an army would be gone. Though he failed to kill padme, he did suceed in using this opertunity to become supreme chancelor. And thus ends episode 1 and thus begins the rise to power.

In Episode 2 we see palpatine leading anakin along the dark path, telling him to trust his emotions (IE his hatred and need for revenge) and using some sort of long range mind manipulation to get the sand people to capture anakins mother and hold her there, keeping her just barely alive until anakin came, to see his mothers death would draw him into a dark rage inwhich he would truely begin his path down the darkside. The resistance secretly orchestrated by palpatine for a high priority threat, a time that needed an army, a military force to stop planets from breaking off and joining this new union outside of the republic. The seperatist anger began in episode 1, the republic suddenly created massive traderoute taxes, probaly also the work of palpatines long range mental manipulation. This combined with count dookus promise of power is most likely what caused them to break off. With the help of gungan, Jar Jar Binks, palpatine got supreme overriding power, and will never put down this power regardless of the campeign againts the seperatists. At the same time he was having the death star designed for him by the enemy without their knowledge.

His plan has perfectly fallen into place, and he has risen to power, now all thats left to be done is the jedi purge, the unveiling of the empire, the rebuilding of anakin and the turning of anakin, likely through way of assasinating amidala or atleast trying to, then later leading anakin to beleive that she is dead and killed by the jedi, thus giving anakin a reason to wipe out all 10,000 jedi. Or all that he could find, overcourse this won't work completely, but he'll reign as emporer for a few decades before unexpectedly being thrown down the energy shaft of the death star, or was that the super star destroyer.

To hide to the public that he is a force-user since he made the galaxy hate jedi and if they knew he used the force they would hate him too and the rebellion would gain more members?

Well what about Darth Vader then

I think he is accepted by the public at large because he killed the Jedi, which will probably end up looking like the source of all the Republic's problems in Episode III. Just a guess, though.

Now that Lucas has set this "Palpatine is Sidious" scenario up, he better not ruin it by making Palpatine a clone. That would be so lame. I wouldn't put it past George though, just to piss people off.

Betrayal - from those you trust - is classic drama.. No way would the mild-mannered senator from Naboo be a Sith Lord plotting a galactic empire! That's a revelation for the characters (not the audience) since we already know this. It's their reaction that creates drama. Palpatine has to be Sidious or that dramatic potential is lost.

Now that Lucas has set this "Palpatine is Sidious" scenario up, he better not ruin it by making Palpatine a clone. That would be so lame. I wouldn't put it past George though, just to piss people off.

Why would he do that? They're obviously both trying to achieve the same goal.