Won't live up to it's hype?

I'm kind of expecting to be disappointed by KotOR2, because there were three major things about KotOR that bugged the hell out of me: the console controls (on PC) where they didn't take advantage of the mouse, the minimal maps (a restriction from the limited RAM of the Xbox) and the horribly un-optimized graphics engine (at least for the PC).

Akari has kind of revealed that none of these three major problems with the game has changed (except for the free mouse-look that might still make it into the game with a little luck). Therefore the main story, non player characters and game balance has to be MUCH better than its predecessor for it to not disappoint me. And that's tough.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

I'm kind of expecting to be disappointed by KotOR2, because there were three major things about KotOR that bugged the hell out of me: the console controls (on PC) where they didn't take advantage of the mouse, the minimal maps (a restriction from the limited RAM of the Xbox) and the horribly un-optimized graphics engine (at least for the PC).

Akari has kind of revealed that none of these three major problems with the game has changed (except for the free mouse-look that might still make it into the game with a little luck). Therefore the main story, non player characters and game balance has to be MUCH better than its predecessor for it to not disappoint me. And that's tough.

So very very true, but I think its going to be alot better from what I've heard about the character interaction aspect of TSL's.

and the horribly un-optimized graphics engine (at least for the PC).

Xbox too I'm afraid.

Come to think of it, i haven't read from any dev that any of those issues were solved or of an high priority for that matter.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Basic improvements on game of the year with fair graphics and easy to use gameplay combined with hopefully a nice story...

If this game disappoints me i vow to eat soap, maul SOE, and take a cyanide tablet for breakfast <_<

None of that ill happen however :D

Come to think of it, i haven't read from any dev that any of those issues were solved or of an high priority for that matter.

Well the developers said that they have improved the maps so you wont get so many of those loading level screens...

If you are looking for non-linear gameplay, try Deus Ex : Invisible War. It is an RPG, FPS mix but the fighting system is FPS...

Deus Ex: IW is not a role playing game. Its a FPS. When it is your skill determining success or failure and not the character's then its not a CRPG. I play CRPGs.

Or then there is Morrowind.....big yes.....linear yes, Every damn tomb looked the same, every damn ruin looked the same, every damn cave looked the same, excellent to start with, then becomes boring. Variety is the spice of life! KotOR kept the variety going....sort of.

That is the drawback of the game. Frankly I would like a game that has a good balance of exploration, and linear storyline. This is where Baldur's Gate excelled at. Bioware has yet made a game better than BG1 and I doubt they ever will, but Fallout 1 is the best of them all.

The biggist issue with Fable not living up to its hype, was that the game everyone kept hearing about and anticipating was not quite the same game that shipped.

Fable is a good game, but all the hype over the last couple of years by its developers had everyone expecting a game that would redefine the genere. And while Fable is a good game, it's not really redefining much, if anything.

What really killed Fable is all the hype surrounding it and all the additional content that apparently was unable to be finished in the necessary time (i.e. 4 years).

I bought Fable and I've already got KOTOR2 on preorder.

KOTOR2 and Fable are going to be completly different animals. IMO KOTOR2 would be hard for Obsidian to screw up (unless they have a Really bad story lol) due to them not really changing much. Most of what Obsidian is doing to the KOTOR engine is tweeks. To my knoweledge, there not rewriting the stuff that worked the first time around, just trying to make it better. And I for one haven't heard anyone from Obsidian saying that KOTOR2 will be the Greatest RPG of all time....

To take a comparasion from the Cosby show I heard once:

We got a big honkin sandwich with all the trimmings, it looked great, looked as if we never taste anything better. Then it was served to us on a flipped over garbage can lid.

--This was Fable

There is almost no way Obsidian could let its fans down as bad as we were with Fable. There are many people who feel ripped off and suckered, and in all reality we were. Fable is a good game, but if it wasn't for all the (false) hype, the game would never have made 18 million in its first week.

Even after the Fable fiasco, I still beleive that KOTOR2 is a good competitor to Halo2 for Game of the year.

(lol, Halo2 will likely knock it out of the water, but I like KOTOR style game more than those like Halo)

lol, Wow, this really turned out to be a much larger post than I'd intended, I guess I needed to rant a bit about Fable. Haven't done that before now. Anyways, that's my $0.02.