Split narrative

It's already been mentioned that you'll be 'forced' to use certain characters for certain missions more than in the last game. But why not take it a step further, and have two or more groups engaged in seperate missions at the same time?

Like in the movies. One group faces off with the Dark Side, another goes to blow up the shield generator, another flies into the Death Star, and so on. All at the same time.

I would have loved to have played as Canderous and the rest of the gang when they're trying to get back to the Ebon Hawk after escaping from the Leviathans's prison cells, for example, rather than just having to imagine it.

This has several good points:

You'll be forced to use more characters, rather than just relying on a Jedi team.

The characters will talk to each other more.

It makes for a more intricate plot.

It's different from the first game.

It's like the films.

Bad points:

You'd need more dialogue to account for all the permutations.

The item system would have to be reworked, otherwise it wouldn't make much sense.

Thoughts?

I like the idea, and i don't see the inventory issue as a problem - i prefered the simple inventory of KotOR.

My main worry would be over roleplaying. It seems to me to be quite difficult to get into playing a character, only to suddenly be controlling another character (who's personality may be different to what you want to play). I wouldn't suddenly want to be forced to play as Canderous would (blaster heavy) because I'm controlling Canderous, but then I wouldn't want to play my own style since this would detract from the personality of Canderous that the writers have developed (its for these sort of reasons that I always hit auto level up for npc's - what business do O have telling my party members how to level).

That is a good idea, however I see one problem with it. The PC needs to be part of your party at all times. So if you have two groups of three off on two different missions, one of the groups will be lacking your PC. However, if the devs can design the game where at certain instances you don't need your PC, your idea would work.

No it would work. Think about the first KOTOR. On the Leviathan, your party split up then. The PC led one group with Carth and Bastilla and Canderous led the other. It would've been really cool to play as Canderous clearing his way through the hanger with HK and Zalbaar in tow.

I like the idea, and i don't see the inventory issue as a problem - i prefered the simple inventory of KotOR.

It's just a bit weak if items can be effectively teleported between groups. It could lead to all sorts of gamey play; for example, unequipping one group of their good equipment just before changing groups.

Some sort of splitting function would be in order, IMO.

I actually really like this idea. It'd give the game a lot of replayability also if, depending on what side you are (LS/DS), different characters are paired up to break off and do their own thing.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

It's just a bit weak if items can be effectively teleported between groups. It could lead to all sorts of gamey play; for example, unequipping one group of their good equipment just before changing groups.

Some sort of splitting function would be in order, IMO.

I can see your point if there is a split narrative. To be honest, the game was so easy that I never used any of the shields and stims in inventory anyway, and I tended to stay with the same few npc's. I just liked not having to worry about how much stuff my party could carry (which only leads to trips back to shops to sell stuff anyway).

This is a GREAT idea. Shades of Final Fantasy VI; the team is seperated, by choice or by circumstance, and you get to know more about each character by getting to see them operate alone or in small groups.

I made this half-pony half-monkey monster to please you

But I get the feeling that you don't like it

What's with all the screaming?

You like monkeys, you like ponies

Maybe you don't like monsters so much

Maybe I used too many monkeys

Isn't it enough to know that I ruined a pony making a gift for you?

I would have loved to have played as Canderous and the rest of the gang when they're trying to get back to the Ebon Hawk after escaping from the Leviathans's prison cells, for example, rather than just having to imagine it.

I also agree. Everytime I play KotOR 1, I always wonder how the rest of the pary made out. You could play as Canderous and have Juhani and Jolee in the party and have the rest follow; or break the D20 rules and have a 7 people party. That wouldve been cool

I think certain situations could call for it. Especially on the Leviathan. Possible on the Star Forge as well. I know that there wasn't a second group sent out but suppose you had to have the 2nd group take out the Star Forge's shields. That would have been a working situation. I know it wasn't part of the story but I give it as a possible placement as well.

What would be good would be if you do in fact get an apprentice, let him go with the 2nd party, and since you'd be molding him through your characters actions, taking direct control wouldn't be too much of a stretch roleplaying wise. This would only work if in fact you do get an apprentice.

The area between the balls and the butt is a hotbed of terrorist activity.

Devastatorsig.jpg

sounds great- it would also fit with the movies. one group is doing something, achieves its goal, then suddenly...

...wipe transition (cut) to...

...second group doing something else.

It's very hard to be polite if you're a cat.

An apprentice would be cool.

I heard in an interview with Chris Avellone that one of the theme's of the game was the relationship between master and apprentice, so maybe it's a possibility.

Although it would likely make the story a bit more predictable (the apprentice would undoubtedly try to betray you, whether you're LS or DS). But if well done, I'm all for an apprentice....it would be something different.

I do like this idea. It'd add a lot of depth, although maybe your PC could be in more than one group. Like, you and one team are doing something in a high place, there's an explosion and you fall off, waking up with the other group.

An apprentice would be cool.

I heard in an interview with Chris Avellone that one of the theme's of the game was the relationship between master and apprentice, so maybe it's a possibility.

Although it would likely make the story a bit more predictable (the apprentice would undoubtedly try to betray you, whether you're LS or DS). But if well done, I'm all for an apprentice....it would be something different.

That would be awesome if you could take control of your apprentice (if that's what happens) and lead a sub-group on a side mission.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I think this is a great idea. I always thought it was kinda lame that you're off doing all of these things while everyone else who is not in your party, is just sitting on the ship. This really applied onboard the Star Forge. It would've been cool if everyone had a part to play. In one of my games, I actually kept swapping out party members just to get everyone involved and to know their stories. It took awhile and honestly it was a little tedious, but it was worth it.

The only question I would have is, would you get the option as to which mission you would like to be involved in, or would you be forced to play as a different character, like onboard the Leviathan when someone else had to free you?

I think the concept is nifty and I've love to see it. However, I think it's probably way too far in the development process to integrate this.

I would agree...specifically about the apprentice.

The apprentice would have to be a design decision from the very beginning, otherwise it would just be tacked on.

However, I do not think it would be difficult to implement control of different character groups...after all you were able to choose a person to break you out of prison.