What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

1 hour ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

I'm getting hit by a hurricane right now. Guess that's one way to get Monday off.

Hit it back!

Joking aside, hope you stay safe.

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

49 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Hit it back!

Joking aside, hope you stay safe.

Right now we're in the eye of the storm so it's calm and it looks like the rebound isn't going to be too much. All things considered the very intense thunderstorm we had two months ago did more damage to the area I'm in. There's still a chance of flooding so I'm hunkering down for the day. Good opportunity to watch a movie or finally start my Lich run.

• Like 3

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

23 hours ago, PK htiw klaw eriF said:

or finally start my Lich run.

I hope you're talking about a game! 💀

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

48 hours later and over a million power outages in the Houston area, and still the most accurate way to track them is through the Whataburger app because Centerpoint gave up on even having a map. You have to love Texas.

On 7/9/2024 at 9:07 AM, Amentep said:

I hope you're talking about a game! 💀

Maybe I am, maybe I'm not.

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

ISP seems to have upgraded my bandwidth for free.

image.png.ea81fde662468413166678c2f9894122.png

What a novelty, instead of everything becoming worse and more expensive all the time.

• Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

52 minutes ago, majestic said:

What a novelty, instead of everything becoming worse and more expensive all the time.

Careful that they don't come to you in a few months time and expect to be paid for it 😄

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

2 hours ago, majestic said:

I upgraded a bit too

8571e4c0-a97a-4c6f-a6f5-553a098171fd.png

Still not getting the 10Gb. My provider is telling me my config (cpu) is the bottleneck, but appart from being old I do not see how an intel 6950x could be the bottleneck. I did get a chinese x550-t2 network card (made in Thailand), or it could be the cat6 cables in the walls. Need to test a direct connection with the ONT.

• Gasp! 1

Eh, there's no way I could get 10Gb here even if the ISP would offer it. We were one of the few households that were asked to participate in our ISP's pilot project, and I am fairly certain we've reached the limits of the cables laid back in the 80ies for TV.

2 hours ago, Sarex said:

Still not getting the 10Gb. My provider is telling me my config (cpu) is the bottleneck, but appart from being old I do not see how an intel 6950x could be the bottleneck. I did get a chinese x550-t2 network card (made in Thailand), or it could be the cat6 cables in the walls. Need to test a direct connection with the ONT.

Networking CPU overhead is a concern for datacenters and speeds beyond 100Gb, which is why vendors have been pushing out smarkt networking solutions with ARM SoCs that handle everything related to networking, freeing up significant CPU resoures. Not sure how much that woud apply to a 10Gb connection at home, but you could always try to go for one of those cards. They just cost an arm and a leg. :p

• Like 2

Damn Euros,stop bragging about your first world internet service.

• Haha 4

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Tbh, I just got it for the ONT with a 10gb port, but they locked it only for the 10gb package (for which they offer no discount). The sad thing is that the ONT with the 10gb port has crappy wifi (which I don't care about either way as I will get 2 access points) and the ONT they offer for packages between 1gb and 10gb has wifi 6, that delivers better speeds that the wired lan ports which are 1gb... So essentially you are paying for a speed you cannot use. The ONT they offer for 1GB and less crashes if you have more than 4 clients on wifi.

28 minutes ago, Malcador said:

Damn Euros,stop bragging about your first world internet service.

Wait till I tell you it cost 45 euros per month. :biggrin:

• Haha 2

^ I don't even know what I'd do with a net speed that fast. I suppose in 10 years we'll need it to download games tho.  >.>

==========

Unrelated: my search for entertainment these days mostly has my face doing this.

cat-no-face.jpg

I don't know what to do, guys. I'm not depressed. It's just still that syndrome of being an introverted, non-social, recluse where I just find nothing interesting to my tastes (or tastes have changed?)/been there done that/too similar or predictable. The brain just doesn't light up and I don't care. You know how some experiences are just once and done, never care to repeat it in any form, even if you liked that singular experience? It's like my whole life is currently like that. I keep trying different things and it's just ... no.

So I sits under the porch and watch the birds fly by. Maybe the ducks will show up in the pool today.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

4 hours ago, Sarex said:

Wait till I tell you it cost 45 euros per month.

Damn, we get screwed here, our regulator is bought and paid for so, duopoly ahoy

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

13 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Unrelated: my search for entertainment these days mostly has my face doing this.

cat-no-face.jpg

I don't know what to do, guys. I'm not depressed. It's just still that syndrome of being an introverted, non-social, recluse where I just find nothing interesting to my tastes (or tastes have changed?)/been there done that/too similar or predictable. The brain just doesn't light up and I don't care. You know how some experiences are just once and done, never care to repeat it in any form, even if you liked that singular experience? It's like my whole life is currently like that. I keep trying different things and it's just ... no.

So I sits under the porch and watch the birds fly by. Maybe the ducks will show up in the pool today.

Do you actually try the new things or does just looking at them leaves you feeling uninterested so you don't even bother? I find that forcing myself through that feeling sometimes works and the things that I didn't feel like doing turn out entertaining once I start doing them. The issue is that sometimes it doesn't work and then it leaves me twice as bummed out. This is the main reason I do not game that much anymore.

12 hours ago, Malcador said:

Damn, we get screwed here, our regulator is bought and paid for so, duopoly ahoy

Our state owned Telecom bought out most of the small ISP providers a couple of years ago, so it's not much better here as far as monopolies are concerned. An even worse example is our retail. Electronics are much more expensive than in the EU and there are rarely discounts, because all the store brands are owned by one person. People usually order stuff from Hungary and in some cases it's way cheaper.

Edited by Sarex

Posted (edited)
On 7/14/2024 at 3:44 AM, Sarex said:

Do you actually try the new things or does just looking at them leaves you feeling uninterested so you don't even bother?

Probably about 50/50.

There's a few things involved for me:
---lost interest/enthusiasm in things that entertained me for 45+ years (books, films/tv, games, parasocial net, music, camping, parks etc)
---a desire to find things that take me outside of the house for at least a few/several hours a week but don't involve other people, and exercise reasons ain't it  (EDIT: that one is the easiest to attempt in a way, by visiting new places/shops/events around town etc)
---no desire for ever more physical/material piles of things, thus no interest in anything that would create such, or require tons of material prep just to do

2nd Edit: While this has been going on slowly for a while, I do still feel like it accelerated after the diabetic almost-coma. By that I mean, the feeling that nothing triggers much emotion/reaction, hence it's all neutral reactions. Sometimes the only strong reactions I seem to get much any more are visual cue ones, and by strong I just mean that I notice. Like a field of flowering cherry trees.

Edited by LadyCrimson
  • Like 3
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

1 hour ago, LadyCrimson said:

Probably about 50/50.

There's a few things involved for me:
---lost interest/enthusiasm in things that entertained me for 45+ years (books, films/tv, games, parasocial net, music, camping, parks etc)
---a desire to find things that take me outside of the house for at least a few/several hours a week but don't involve other people, and exercise reasons ain't it  (EDIT: that one is the easiest to attempt in a way, by visiting new places/shops/events around town etc)
---no desire for ever more physical/material piles of things, thus no interest in anything that would create such, or require tons of material prep just to do

2nd Edit: While this has been going on slowly for a while, I do still feel like it accelerated after the diabetic almost-coma. By that I mean, the feeling that nothing triggers much emotion/reaction, hence it's all neutral reactions. Sometimes the only strong reactions I seem to get much any more are visual cue ones, and by strong I just mean that I notice. Like a field of flowering cherry trees.

Well you at least had some years before it, this started for me in my late 20s. (minus the desire to leave the house, people just tire me out)

14 minutes ago, Sarex said:

Well you at least had some years before it, this started for me in my late 20s. (minus the desire to leave the house, people just tire me out)

Out of curiosity, do you get much satisfaction from that thing others call "achievement?" I mean, sometimes it does feel nice to finally get a thing off your to-do list crossed off, don't get me wrong, but I mean in a larger sense. A lot of my youth was spent chasing the notion because "everyone" told me that's what you're supposed to do/feel.  My inner turmoil quieted quite a bit once I realized I didn't need "goals/achievements" to be content. I'm not geared that way is all.

I would like to not feel stuck in emotional neutral all the time tho.  :)

I would also like to create more memories. After many years, one starts to realize sitting around the house doesn't make many memorable memories. And yeah, people tire me out too. But I don't mind if they're simply around - like at a park - I just don't want to interact beyond a nod as one walks by. Social interaction isn't the kind of memory I'm looking for. 😄

16 hours ago, LadyCrimson said:

Out of curiosity, do you get much satisfaction from that thing others call "achievement?

Tbh, I don't know. In some ways my life is going from one extreme to another and in others it's collecting dust. I used to be in a dead end job doing nothing the whole day but making decent money, now I'm caught in the US corporate grind doing way too much work, making more money then I need and learning new stuff every day. But I do not feel fulfilled because the job doesn't interest me, nor do I feel sad because at least I make good money doing it and to be perfectly honest I would have been fine sitting at that dead end job if they would have just been fair with me. I bought my own place, renovated it, now I'm sitting here writing from it, but the amount of aggravation it took getting here kind of canceled out the joy of finally being here. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these are some sort of achievements but they don't feel as such too me. I do get emotional going through them but in retrospect I do not feel satisfaction regarding them.

I do get what you mean about following things that others dangle in front of you as something that everyone is supposed to do. I'm there now, finally alone, waiting to see if I will get lonely and if that will move me in the direction I am "supposed" to go in.

I guess the worst thing about my life is that I do not feel happy regarding it nor do I feel sad living it. That's where I think it's different for me as opposed to you, I'm standing in place feeling fine doing nothing and not having any regrets looking back on it (yet). I go where the currents take me.

Edited by Sarex

12 hours ago, Sarex said:

I guess the worst thing about my life is that I do not feel happy regarding it nor do I feel sad living it. That's where I think it's different for me as opposed to you, I'm standing in place feeling fine doing nothing and not having regrets any looking back on it (yet). I go where the currents take me.

The socially ingrained pursuit of happiness instead of contentness is relatively new, and with so many things, was driven by corporate greed. If people would be content with being, well, content, then what's the point of buying ever more stuff? Imagine people just buying whatever they actually need to live out their lives, the economy would collapse.

There's a surprising number of things we take for granted  that were invented and had the need for it manufactured after the fact, by commercials and therefore commercial interests. When Edna Murphey invented the first deodorant, mankind had survived for hundreds of thousands of years without it. Nobody needed a deodorant. Nowadays, after a century of dedicated marketing left us with the impression that body odor is bad, can you imagine a world without deodorant?

In German, we have an idiom for finding someone intolerable, that literally translates to not being able to stand their smell. It makes no sense in modern parlance, as humans basically stopped having much of a smell, unlike in times past, where this had a very literal meaning. You found someone's actual smell disagreeable, so you did not like having them around.

Anyone who is content with their lives please realize that this is perfectly fine. :yes:

• Like 5

10 hours ago, CopingMarlinsFan said:

Got something off my chest at my mom, it kinda helped but boomers are gonna boomer. Ls are not something they will take willingly.

Not like millennials or the dross generations after them are much better.

Got a good laugh as we have to raise an IT ticket to.....update our profile photo on Teams.

Corporate life is like being in elementary school.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Had a fantastic day at work thanks to CrowdStrike.

Although, yeah, I guess it's the ultimate way to secure computer systems: make sure they don't work at all. :yes:

• Like 4