What You've Done Today - Yesterday is but today's memory, and tomorrow is today's dream.

Since yesterday I finally felt I could eat some stuff besides chicken broth/boiled spinach (after day 3, I sometimes poached an egg in it) and plain greek yogurt. Little tougher when it's both sides of mouth vs. just one. At any rate, healing well at this point. Not being able to eat a lot of carbs sort of stomps out a lot of the "soft foods" concepts/drinks.  I did not try jarred gerber-like baby foods. I remember using the meat baby foods to syringe-feed cats who were sick because they were smoother/easier to water down/syringe than regular canned cat food. Based on those experiences with such, I'd rather go hungry. 😛

• Like 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

First big thing I've done to get out of the house for non-work or non-funeral related matters in the past couple of months.  Took the step from just stewarding to being full crew at MCM ComicCon at London over the weekend. 4 Fairly packed days doing all the behind the scenes stuff at Cosplay Central there.

So dealing with the Cosplay Hospital, and then everyday the mass public, the Kids Cosplay Showcase, the Adults Cosplay Showcase, the Cosplay Variety Show, and the Cosplay Masquerades. Slept terribly so was in a fairly constant state of exhaustion. Caught up with a bunch of people I only see a few times a year. Got more hugs in few days then I have in the past 6 months.

Then stuck around London an extra day since Lucasfilm and Disney sent all the SW costuming groups a batch of invites to attend the Premiere of The Acolyte at Liecester Square.   It was interesting, but not quite sure the entertainment value was worth sticking in London an extra day and spending 2+ hours stood on the Red Carpet. But to be fair, that might have been affected by the previous 4 days of Con on my feet.

Now doing the wfh for a few days as the post-con crash hits and I deal with some of the con-crud kicking in.

• Like 3

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

So... Heiliung is going to tour Australia, with special guest Eivor. I would go see either without as a main event (both together just means I must have been a good boy), but... I am torn between getting tickets for their Brisbane concert or their Melbourne concert. The former is closer and more convenient, but the latter is probably a bigger event with better facilities 🤔

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

On 5/30/2024 at 10:13 AM, Raithe said:

First big thing I've done to get out of the house for non-work or non-funeral related matters in the past couple of months.  Took the step from just stewarding to being full crew at MCM ComicCon at London over the weekend. 4 Fairly packed days doing all the behind the scenes stuff at Cosplay Central there.

So dealing with the Cosplay Hospital, and then everyday the mass public, the Kids Cosplay Showcase, the Adults Cosplay Showcase, the Cosplay Variety Show, and the Cosplay Masquerades. Slept terribly so was in a fairly constant state of exhaustion. Caught up with a bunch of people I only see a few times a year. Got more hugs in few days then I have in the past 6 months.

Then stuck around London an extra day since Lucasfilm and Disney sent all the SW costuming groups a batch of invites to attend the Premiere of The Acolyte at Liecester Square.   It was interesting, but not quite sure the entertainment value was worth sticking in London an extra day and spending 2+ hours stood on the Red Carpet. But to be fair, that might have been affected by the previous 4 days of Con on my feet.

Now doing the wfh for a few days as the post-con crash hits and I deal with some of the con-crud kicking in.

Photos, we need to see lots of photos

You must know the vicarious thrill photos provide around ComicCon  and DONT forget the Cosplay people and ladies 🥂

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

2 minutes ago, BruceVC said:

Photos, we need to see lots of photos

You must know the vicarious thrill photos provide around ComicCon  and DONT forget the Cosplay people and ladies 🥂

To be fair, working crew and I took about 2 pictures across the entire time. I was wrapped up fixing costumes and herding cosplayers for events, and running on about 3 hours sleep each night. But to give you the general vibe...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gorth said:

So... Heiliung is going to tour Australia, with special guest Eivor. I would go see either without as a main event (both together just means I must have been a good boy), but... I am torn between getting tickets for their Brisbane concert or their Melbourne concert. The former is closer and more convenient, but the latter is probably a bigger event with better facilities 🤔

I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am right now.

• Like 1

Civilization, in fact, grows more and more maudlin and hysterical; especially under democracy it tends to degenerate into a mere combat of crazes; the whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, most of them imaginary. - H.L. Mencken

Went to a birthday party yesterday. Nice and cozy, in an old brewery. We were (I think) about 11 people. Listening to the two Estonian girls talk to each other was a bit "weird", because even if the language is different, it reminded me a lot of the half day spent in the airport of Helsinki, while doing a stopover there (on my way from Australia to Copenhagen, 8 years ago). She "melody" and the sound of the language was just so similar to the local, Finnish conversations I listened to in the airport.

edit: not understanding a word in either case, but the sound of the language was very similar

• Like 2

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wrapping up the work day, and I caught the trail end of a BBC reporter in Las Vegas, an interview with a Trump supporter who was asked how the result of the trial is going to affect his voting.  he said it won't and that the whole thing highlights what's wrong with America "the witch-hunting, the finger-pointing, the demonising of people on the other side. Not coming together as whole communities to discuss matters and develop proper solutions" and that was why he would keep on voting for Trump.
.. I'm trying to decide if the man is meaning to be satirical or not.

That level of cognitive dissonance is breaking my brain.

On the upside, one of my friends scored tickets to a showing of The Crow (the original, not the remake) at a cinema near here, so I'll be off to that later tonight for the nostalgia gothic-ness.  Debating on pulling out the full length black leather trenchcoat... But it is kicking off summer weather here so probably not.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Old thread:

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Tried to log in/post the other day. Was getting the mega-long load time issue again (there were maybe only 250 'visitors) and weird posting errors. Left. Seems better today. So here I am.

It's Costco day, or "spend way more than you should" day.
My teeth etc. are still fine.
Hubby's still depressed.
I'm still hobby-unmotivated and feeling rather directionless - but not depressed.
Thinking about buying some roller skates. Just regular ones, not those inline types. I used to love roller skating as a kid/teen. Maybe it'd be fun again, get me outside more etc.

• Like 2
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Got a new credit card as the old one expires next month. Spent like half an hour updating various subscriptions and online shops.

#firstworldproblems

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

5 hours ago, majestic said:

Got a new credit card as the old one expires next month. Spent like half an hour updating various subscriptions and online shops.

#firstworldproblems

I updated my computer and I have bookmarks saved... but I can't find them. So I can relate to that hashtag.

The login weirdness issues, reply box issues (including the entire post thread getting visibly put into the reply box), etc. are all intermittently back for me again.

I may pull a Keyrock and disappear for a while. It's too frustrating. 😛

7 hours ago, melkathi said:

What age range is the book?

Illustration, writing or both?

I am going around maybe 11-16 or so. Though I think if the parents are reading it, 8 year olds can read it. Talking a lot about it with my friends who are parents on it.

I am only writing it but I have a bunch of contacts for the illustrations. I am thinking it'll be more classic Winnie the Pooh where there weren't pictures on every page. 

• Like 1

Have a look what qualifies as children and what as teen. I found that to be the hardest, but it can be important for who even looks at your work.

But children are very different, so it is rough to try and determine age.

• Thanks 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

1 hour ago, melkathi said:

Have a look what qualifies as children and what as teen. I found that to be the hardest, but it can be important for who even looks at your work.

But children are very different, so it is rough to try and determine age.

Yeah I am gauging a lot of things. I know I do not want to go the YA route since that will always be an uphill. It's difficult due to that and Well as a kid I couldn't grasp Narnia but I know everybnody else could so the subjectivity is definately up in the air. Appreciate the advice, I really was burned out for years until recently

19 hours ago, melkathi said:

Need to find a nice way of telling her 😕

Through the medium of interpretive dance?

• Haha 3
  • Hmmm 1

2 hours ago, CopingMarlinsFan said:

Yeah I am gauging a lot of things. I know I do not want to go the YA route since that will always be an uphill. It's difficult due to that and Well as a kid I couldn't grasp Narnia but I know everybnody else could so the subjectivity is definately up in the air. Appreciate the advice, I really was burned out for years until recently

I took a long break and will try to do an illustrated picture book once more. But I am looking more at pre-schoolers. Mostly because I want to draw unicorns.

1 hour ago, Raithe said:

She might not get the message, but I am noting the idea down for consideration.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Unobtrusively informing you about my new ebook (which you should feel free to read and shower with praise).

On a serious note, keeping it calm and clear and non-antagonistic always seems the best approach. That it was a pleasant experience but you don't think you meshed as well as you were hoping, and that you're at a stage in your life where you need to find the natural spark rather than try to force it?

Things I've learned from one mildly abusive passive-aggressive ex, and another one who was, shall we say, heavily invested in certain tastes that required it, is always making sure communication is clear, trustworthy, and not open to emotional interpretation.

Or, you could just say that you're looking for Gomez and Morticia, not Romeo and Juliet. 😼

On the matter of reading age-ranges, I can hold my hand up and cheerfully admit I've gotten into heaps of trouble with friends with suggestions of reading for their kids. I am apparently heavily biased by the things I read at those ages, which most people apparently don't consider appropriate for their kids at the same ages.  I'm not sure if that says anything about what my parents allowed me to read, my grasp on reading, or current trends in parental viewpoints.

4 hours ago, Raithe said:

Who knows? She may appreciate @melkathi doing the Haka..,

• Haha 1

The problem is, she wants to skip the "get to know one another" and "see if we actually like one another part", because that is a waste of time. A commitment to having kids. Then the other stuff.

Basically already planning us moving in together and our holidays and stuff.

• Gasp! 1

37 minutes ago, melkathi said:

The problem is, she wants to skip the "get to know one another" and "see if we actually like one another part", because that is a waste of time. A commitment to having kids. Then the other stuff.

Basically already planning us moving in together and our holidays and stuff.

I actually get that part. I moved quickly with my wife and we've been married for 20 years now. There is no need to pussyfoot around if the chemistry is right. That being said, if you aren't feeling it, you aren't feeling it, and letting her know early is best. If she doesn't want to waste time, then don't waste her time.

I wamted to see my wife every day after the first date.