Interplay down - Obsidian act now!

Bobbin

I think the progress on The Fall looks pretty decent, and the Silver Side devs cater to the fan community more so than any company I've ever seen.

No doubt, but hinting that they should get the Fallout license is somewhat naive, because most of the reasons for the support they get in the matter aren't based on their achievements as a company, or in the quality of their products.

Before the hype they surrounded themselves with, who would actually point at them as a company who could pull it? How many gamers did you hear saying Silver Style could handle the Fallout franchise before they generated said hype by saying they were negotiating the acquisition of the license, and hiring two former devs from the cancelled game? How many gamers looked at Gorasul and Soldiers of Fortune, and immediately thought, "These guys could handle Fallout 3?".

Not many, i can tell you that.

Yeah, they released a Baldur's Gate-clone a while back. It was called Gorasul, was quite buggy, but not at all shabby. Considering it was their first attempt at a RPG it wasn't bad at all. I am sure that with the right IP they could do much better. It's tough coming up with a new setting that works.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Silver Style did Soldiers of Anarchy which is one of the finest tactical combat games I ever played. They DO have problems in the story and art department which surely needed to improve for a Fallout 3. For that reason alone I still would prefer FO3 at this place here (no, not the forums :unsure:), MCA would take out his magic pen and write the last chapter of the Fallout Bible - Fallout 3...

The animations and graphics we've seen on the Fall look better than what **** was doing with Fallout 3.

Oh, and I thought you guys might like this cartoon over at Penny Arcade. Apologies to those who are bandwidth challenged.

20040702l.jpg

you see, this business with interplay still trying to make a fallout mmog even though its nearly impossible is whats causing the problems. Interplay is doomed, and it would be better if they were to simply keel over and die already rather than hanging on by their teeth. at least then someone will be able to swipe up the fallout rights.

Caen invested a lot of his personal money into stock. And he could face charges for not paying his employees. It is in his best interest to TRY to get money back into the company, so he can sell off his shares at a higher price, and cut his losses, while using the new income to pay off his employees and then make a run for it.

They'd be better off filing for bankruptcy and Caen paying the employees out of his own pocket. If I recall, there were people claiming he even received a raise at the same time as he laid off the Black Isle employees.

I'd like to see their opinions, but Obsidian seems very politically correct. They won't allow us to express negative opinions about other game developers, so I doubt they'd express rather sincere opinions in this manner.

in a strange way, this news worries me. Bethesda, to the best of my knowledge has really only made Elder Scrolls games. I fear that having Todd Howard (producer of the Elder Scrolls games) at the helm might cause Fallout 3 to take on many similarities to the Elder Scrolls games. I have nothing against Elder Scrolls, but they are very different from what a Fallout game should be. As long as Bethesda sticks to the origional style of Fallout, i do believe that Bethesda can make a very worthy game.

I don't want to be pessimistic about it. I feel sorry for Troika that they didn't get the license. I was hoping they would get it, or maybe Obsidian or Bioware. But I hope for Bethesda that they make a good game. I haven't played any of their games, because they are not my style of games, so I cannot judge them.