Interplay down - Obsidian act now!

Bobbin

GOD! I hate politics so much, everything is so polluted by the bottom line. Maybe that is what was so great about the Fallout series, it didnt seem like they were made to please a wide fan base or turn a huge profit to pay for some corporate jackass's ferrari lease. I still remember the old Inrterplay logo that wrapped around the globe in the Fallout 1 intro "By Gamers for Gamers" now it seems like games are by megalomaniacs for a rabble of slightly interested comatose people.

It seems that there are quite a few pesimists out there. You guys are making it seem as if Interplay is jealously hoarding the FO liscence, and that to buy it would cost an arm, a leg, and a pint of virgin blood. Look at this article that came out a couple months ago on gamespot.com

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2004/04/15/news_6093628.html

Notice that Herve Caen, Interplay's CEO states that Interplay will probably try and have an outside company work on it. Because several of the origional developers are working for Obsidian now, it would not surprise me if they were one of Interplays top choices.

Erm....you better check the RPG and General Gaming section, specifically Herve Needs Therapy/Herve's cunning plan (Same thread topic, started by different people). It sounds like what he plans on making is FOOL (Fallout Online) a MMORPG based in the Fallout Universe. F*cktard he is, burned he needs to be. :)

Honestly, what about bankrupcy don't you guys understand? Interplay is screwed; if they dont even have the cash to keep their office doors open, then how do you expect them to be able to produce an entire game (FO Online), which could take years. Caen's desperate attempts to keep Interplay afloat may prove successful for a while, but it is ultimately just prolonging the inevitable. Interplay will probably be looking to sell off the FO liscence as well as others by the time they go under.

Honestly, what about bankrupcy don't you guys understand? Interplay is screwed; if they dont even have the cash to keep their office doors open, then how do you expect them to be able to produce an entire game (FO Online), which could take years. Caen's desperate attempts to keep Interplay afloat may prove successful for a while, but it is ultimately just prolonging the inevitable. Interplay will probably be looking to sell off the FO liscence as well as others by the time they go under.

I know that, and you know that, but Herve's investors sure don't seem to. :huh:

Hi,

I was just wondering how much of this is true.

Hi,

A number of people from Black Isle have come to work at Obsidian - about

18 of the 55 people that worked for me when I left Black Isle. As for

buying the rights to those other projects, we don't have the money to do

that. However, we have let the publishers know that if they were to buy

those licenses that we would be happy to make the games.

Sincerely,

Feargus Urquhart

CEO

Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

It was taken from a post on the gamespot forum.

http://forums.gamespot.com/gamespot/show_m...14377708&page=0

Man, I hope that we get Fallout 3 one day.

I was looking at "The Fall" and I think it looks really good. The developers really seem to be paying attention to what the players want. It seems like they have the old "By Gamers for Gamers" mentality.

I played their other game, "Soldiers of Anarchy" and it really isn't bad. It's a good rts with a story, it just seems like their publishers really dropped the ball.

Although its pretty much anyones guess who will make it, I'm quite sure someone will pick up FO3. To be honest, what im worried about is how the game will actually turn out. After all of the FO spoofs, like FO Tactics and FO: BOS, i am afraid that FO3 might not turn out to be much of a sequal to the first two.

At the moment it looks that way. On the other hand keep in mind that at one time Thief 3 looked like it wouldn't come out ever but then Ion Storm picked up the license and now Thief 3 is out. It may come out. It's a maybe, not a definite yes or no but at the moment it's definately more on the no side than the yes side obviously.

Nope, and most likely we won't.

If they say no: Then they're commited to it.

If they say yes: Then they're commited to it.

If they say yes and don't deliver (for whatever reason): Then they get charbroiled by the masses.

So I don't think they'll ever comment on it... unless they do pick it up.. and then they won't until they "know" they can deliver it.

Yes, Thief 3 was a good example for a game finally come true. Then we have Heroes of Might & Magic 5 and Jagged Alliance 3 which are currently in development. Atari said that they would really like to do a Baldur's Gate 3 so I think not all is lost. The biggest obstacle is Herve Caen for now. If it wasn't for him Fallout's future would look much brighter.