AI artwork

Gorgon

Art is in the eye of the beholder and all that. Which is why I've never really liked calling stuff "art" in some existential or nose-up-in-the-air way. It's just something creative that someone/s made because they felt like it, and some other people may relate to/like. Whether film, paintings, photos, books, games, etc.

If someone, or multiple someone's, spent the oodles of time programming or giving the AI enough information for the AI to take that and turn it into a picture that some people then may like aesthetically, it's not simply the AI doing it all by itself per se - humans were involved in the creation process of making it possible. It's like saying the product of a finished game or all-CGI film sequences can't be called art because there are too many cooks in the kitchen or it's not the same kind of tortured creative process or something. Or when it's said that (no) photos are art because photographers "just take pictures of what already exists."

So if the future means people become interested in AI art because it's different and weird or whatever other reasons, it'll be the new thing to put the nose up in the air about. I mean no offense by using that phrase, btw. It's just what humans tend to do about things they feel strongly about (art, wine, fanboy-ism, politics, whatever). New generations may think it's perfectly normal/cool and to be admired. Or it'll just get laughed away after a couple decades. Don't see anything wrong with that cycle personally.

That said, most examples given, while I cannot judge whether they are "art", I wouldn't buy them or want to hang them on a wall anywhere. Then again, that could be said of 95% of what is considered "art" (in terms of paintings at least), for me. Van Gogh? Picasso? Warhol? Abstract splatters or color patterns on a canvass? Admire the creative brains, ok sure, but not going on my walls. 😛

• Hmmm 1
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

On 9/12/2022 at 11:39 PM, KP From Another World said:

That's not how I'd describe them, but they're definitely bad.

Midjourney is much better, but I heard you need to pay or it will take forever to get your request done:

midjourney.png

22 hours ago, majestic said:

Makes a pretty convincing Bob Ross though.

7q87pbm.png

The original, however, would put more "big ol' trees" in the pictures. 

ojisan.png

• Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

sign.jpg

Semi related - the Chronicle of Higher Education just had an opinion article on the impending impact of AI written student papers on higher education.  Link is here - Will Artificial Intelligence Kill College Writing? (chronicle.com) but probably paywalled.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

On 9/14/2022 at 7:52 AM, LadyCrimson said:

Art is in the eye of the beholder and all that.

Baby Bestiary on Twitter: "Remember the adorable little ...

• Like 4

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

5 hours ago, Gorth said:

Baby Bestiary on Twitter: "Remember the adorable little ...

Thats cute, I like that

You see this is  art and something all of us can appreciate and understand. Some of this modern day art is .....distorted

One of my friends girlfriends in JHB attended an art school in Germany and she told me the art professor was demonstrating what they call impressionist art (?? ) and he stood in front of the class and poured vomit all over himself as symbol of rejection of the reality  of the state of art according to him

That type of behavior is shocking, he should be in a mental asylum. She thought it was great and meaningful :lol: 

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

3 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Thats cute, I like that

You see this is  art and something all of us can appreciate and understand. Some of this modern day art is .....distorted

One of my friends girlfriends in JHB attended an art school in Germany and she told me the art professor was demonstrating what they call impressionist art (?? ) and he stood in front of the class and poured vomit all over himself as symbol of rejection of the reality  of the state of art according to him

That type of behavior is shocking, he should be in a mental asylum. She thought it was great and meaningful :lol: 

Um...that sounds more like performance art (think Caroline Schneeman, Wolf Vostell, et al) crossed with either Dada (where Duchamp and other Dada artists rejected the logic, reason, and aestheticism of modern capitalist society, instead expressing nonsense, irrationality, and anti-bourgeois protest in their works) or Transgressive (where artists like Andres Serrano, Robert Mapplethorpe and others, created works intended to outrage or to violate what was considered basic morals, sensibility or taste). 

Although a part of me wonders if they could have just been wanting to be a living Jackson Pollack (abstract expressionism). 😛 

Impressionist art is like Monet and Renoir and was concerned with capturing the quality and changes in light more so than strict representation of figure or object (partially because the original artist in the movement was going blind and began painting what they were seeing rather that being able to do realistic representational painting, IIRC).

• Like 2

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 minute ago, Amentep said:

Um...that sounds more like performance art (think Caroline Schneeman, Wolf Vostell, et al) crossed with either Dada (where Duchamp and other Dada artists rejected the logic, reason, and aestheticism of modern capitalist society, instead expressing nonsense, irrationality, and anti-bourgeois protest in their works) or Transgressive (where artists like Andres Serrano, Robert Mapplethorpe and others, created works intended to outrage or to violate what was considered basic morals, sensibility or taste). 

Although a part of me wonders if they could have just been wanting to be a living Jackson Pollack (abstract expressionism). 😛 

Impressionist art is like Monet and Renoir and was concerned with capturing the quality and changes in light more so than strict representation of figure or object (partially because the original artist in the movement was going blind and began painting what they were seeing rather that being able to do realistic representational painting, IIRC).

Yes I think you right, performance art...that makes more sense :thumbsup:

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela