The All Things Political Topic - We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office

Gorth

15 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

We're all, probably most of us, or at least some of us, human

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise...

• Haha 5

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

AI just need to be trained on Terry Pratchett to get around that conundrum.

10 hours ago, Elerond said:

When done correctly kosher and halal style slaughtering is as humane as is the industrial slaughtering used in most of the slaughterhouses.

Yes, though humane* kosher is limited in application, which is why you tend to get people bending either the rules on kosher or the rules on animal cruelty. All the meat sold here is halal (well, except pork for obvious reasons) but you have to go to a kosher butcher to get kosher meat. That's because halal can be applied to 'industrial slaughtering' while kosher cannot (easily).

My sister had some interesting stories about doing meat inspections as part of her vet training. She was fundamentally not keen on the kosher process, at all.

*good thing I noticed I left the e off there or I would have been saying something, uh, absolutely haram.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Malcador said:

You’re in a desert walking along in the sand when all of the sudden you look down, and you see a tortoise...

What desert?

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

1 hour ago, Amentep said:

What desert?

Ladies And Gentleman We Got Him GIF - Ladies And Gentleman We Got Him GIFs

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

5 hours ago, Amentep said:

What desert?

You know what the Sahara is ? Same thing.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

8 hours ago, ShadySands said:

It's the internet, nobody knows the real you. The problem is generally that your stated views and opinions often don't align with what you're actually posting. We're all, probably most of us, or at least some of us, human, and we all have our inconsistencies, it's just that yours appear to be fairly consistent. I'm not trying to attack you and I hope you don't see it that way, I'm just trying to explain why you may be viewed that way.

FWIW, I don't think you're racist but I do think you have a lot of biases that you don't seem aware of

This is the type of constructive criticism I appreciate

I issue I have always had with the criticism I sometimes  get is its normally not accurate and has nothing to do with the posts I make. And it may sound pedantic but if someone is not going to ask " why do you say xxx" and assume its because Im " racist\fascist " why would I take it seriously?

And also  the reality of global culture wars translates often to hyperbole from the both some on the left and right and generalizations  and cliche are used to describe someone's views instead of understanding what motivates them 

So my views will be seen as racist instead of what they are, its easier to label me than to understand what I am saying. And sometimes I am to blame for this because I dont explain my point properly 

But I do have my own biases and I try not to, its ongoing work and sometimes you not even aware of them

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

16 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Im not sure whats the point of this, is it a joke comparing the Queen to the brutal NK leadership?

Is this an opportunity for outrage or humor?

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• Gorth locked this topic
6 hours ago, BruceVC said:

Im not sure whats the point of this, is it a joke comparing the Queen to the brutal NK leadership?

Is this an opportunity for outrage or humor?

Who says it's a choice? 😇

Maybe some stuff for thought... why do people love a leader? It's not like that leader benefit them in any way.

Conversation moved to next thread incarnation:

:skull:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein