Malcador

h8k1oVZ.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

22 hours ago, Raithe said:

FZkUy71XoAEgOU0?format=jpg&name=medium

Herbert Jenkins "The Strange Case of Mr Challoner" from 1921's Malcolm Sage, Detective predated S.S. Van Dine's 20 Rules for Writing Detective Stories essay by 7 years and had the butler as the killer.  It is the earliest still known use of the idea; the 1930 book (Mary Roberts Rinehart's The Door) is much better known, so gets erroneously mentioned as this first.  The continuing fame of Rinehart, possibly because she was a major seller and continued writing detective fiction into the 1950s is comparatively different from Jenkins, who is probably better known as the guy whose company published the original P. G. Wodehouse books than by his fiction stories (even if three of the Malcolm Sage stories were collected in a 1929 collection of best of detective fiction and Sage was favorably compared at the time to Messrs Holmes and Poirot).

EDIT: To be clear, Van Dine's essay basically says using a servant (butler, maid, footman, valet, chauffer) isn't in the spirit of detective fiction (as disgruntled employees killing the person or whatever being too obvious), so doesn't call out Butler's, specifically, either.

• Thanks 4

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

unknown.png?width=594&height=702

• Haha 3

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.

s7c1lml6k3h91.jpg?width=720&auto=webp&s=

Hits even better when you find out the author was you.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

9 hours ago, Raithe said:

aa84e02d8be12e870881076f54a989538652d0c9

even the same city. i saw a video where the reporter was asking questions in an all white neighborhood of New York about the need for id in elections and most of them said its wrong to ask for id because they believed that black people don't have it, they don't know how to get one and don't have access to the internet or know how to use it... like black americans lived in some other, 3rd world country and not in the same city

The words freedom and liberty, are diminishing the true meaning of the abstract concept they try to explain. The true nature of freedom is such, that the human mind is unable to comprehend it, so we make a cage and name it freedom in order to give a tangible meaning to what we dont understand, just as our ancestors made gods like Thor or Zeus to explain thunder.

-Teknoman2-

What? You thought it was a quote from some well known wise guy from the past?

Stupidity leads to willful ignorance - willful ignorance leads to hope - hope leads to sex - and that is how a new generation of fools is born!

We are hardcore role players... When we go to bed with a girl, we roll a D20 to see if we hit the target and a D6 to see how much penetration damage we did.

Modern democracy is: the sheep voting for which dog will be the shepherd's right hand.