Anime and Manga - I respect the first human to have eaten a mushroom

Sarex

Strike Witches, episode 2:

I don't think I'm going to make a post every time I watch one of these episodes. Basically, what's currently shaping up to be a bit of a mindless but otherwise at least not terrible sci-fi alternate reality magical girl show is severely undermined by all the weird crotch shots. They don't even have the decency to stop it when Yoshika is crying at her father's grave. Well, not like I didn't know before, right? :p

18 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Glad to see said characters also look like they're somewhere between 13-16 years old.

After some of the Nanoha stuff, all I can say is: Well, at least they're not nine. What a wonderful hobby I got here. :p

• Gasp! 2

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

10 hours ago, majestic said:

Strike Witches, episode 2:

I don't think I'm going to make a post every time I watch one of these episodes. Basically, what's currently shaping up to be a bit of a mindless but otherwise at least not terrible sci-fi alternate reality magical girl show is severely undermined by all the weird crotch shots. They don't even have the decency to stop it when Yoshika is crying at her father's grave. Well, not like I didn't know before, right? :p

After some of the Nanoha stuff, all I can say is: Well, at least they're not nine. What a wonderful hobby I got here. :p

just remember vividred operation was a very similar sudo magical girl anime

maybe become twintail are a little more actual magical girl

the genre are actually full of weird minor variation

even precure was more tokusatsu than magical girl sometime

• Hmmm 1

17 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

One moment, let me do a Google image search...uh, what the hell am I looking at? Looks like a cross between the Rabbit of Caerbannog and Cthulhu.

Spoiler

It's kinda like the chimera from Fullmetal Alchemist.

I love Made in Abyss, because I feel like I'm watching something truly original and imaginative, but at the same time I wouldn't recommend it to others. There is just way too much horrible things happening to kids.  

This post is not to be enjoyed, discussed, or referenced on company time.

4 hours ago, kirottu said:
  Reveal hidden contents

It's kinda like the chimera from Fullmetal Alchemist.

I love Made in Abyss, because I feel like I'm watching something truly original and imaginative, but at the same time I wouldn't recommend it to others. There is just way too much horrible things happening to kids.  

Provided that it's grounded, for a reason (i.e. not simply for shock value, which is usually lame), and not just utter misery all the time, the torment of children is (or at least can be) great. ...I originally wrote that as just "child torture is great", but that didn't seem to capture my sentiment quite right and I would prefer to deny KP the opportunity to put another of my posts in his signature. But really, probably my third favorite live action film of all time is The Florida Project, and Grave of the Fireflies is pretty close to the top of my favorite Ghibli films...and I'm probably forgetting some other things, but yeah, not really usually an issue for me. Now whether or not I would like it due to vastly different reasons more related to it coming out in 2017 is an entirely different question...

• Like 1
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

The violence is very much in line with Berserk, it's just a byproduct of the world they live in, but unlike Berserk I think it's less grimdark and there is more to balance out the depression.

Edited by Sarex
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

"because they filled mommy with enough mythic power to become a demi-god" - KP

15 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I would prefer to deny KP the opportunity to put another of my posts in his signature.

Too late.

You know that terrible sound people make when they're slowly but surely dying? That awful utmost pity inducing wail of the reversal of the life process?

That's the sound I hear from all these anti KP-signatures, clinging to a desperate hope that the tide can somehow be reversed and cannot accept the fact that the world is changing in big ways.

Stay tuned for 2024, we're just getting started here 😱

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Gasp! 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

6 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

Too late.

You know that terrible sound people make when they're slowly but surely dying? That awful utmost pity inducing wail of the reversal of the life process?

That's the sound I hear from all these anti KP-signatures, clinging to a desperate hope that the tide can somehow be reversed and cannot accept the fact that the world is changing in big ways.

Stay tuned for 2024, we're just getting started here 😱

This is an improvement, since it got rid of the one where I confessed...er, jokingly mentioned ritually sacrificing my family to Satan.

• Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

3 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

This is an improvement, since it got rid of the one where I confessed...er, jokingly mentioned ritually sacrificing my family to Satan.

I haven't updated the sig in a while, but I think that quote works better at being ironic humor.

I'd put the latest soniccomrade post in there because it is objectively hilarious, but it unfortunately takes up too much space. The perils of modern life.

• Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

All right guys, I'm switching Strike Witches with Made in Abyss, if that isn't better than crotch shots of 13 year old girls wearing only underpants I'm going to make you lot watch a 10 hour loop of Nanoha's two minutes of lolicon content. :yes: 

• Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1

10 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

sonicmage post

I haven't even seen what ol' crap-for-brains has said, but I try not to ever read the dystopic farce that is the Ukraine thread, and I certainly don't unblock the people I have on my ignore list on the rare occasion I do...

O.K., I'm now back from taking a quick look at the Ukraine thread where I see you posted the same message that you just posted here, so I guess that must've been it - what you said now makes a lot more sense with that context, :p.

4 minutes ago, majestic said:

All right guys, I'm switching Strike Witches with Made in Abyss, if that isn't better than crotch shots of 13 year old girls wearing only underpants I'm going to make you lot watch a 10 hour loop of Nanoha's two minutes of lolicon content. :yes:

Thanks, let me know how it goes - the original TV show is only 13 episodes long, but there's a bit of stuff after that that I figured would discourage you from trying it.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1
  • Gasp! 1

5 minutes ago, majestic said:

ANOTHER ONE

I haven't even seen what ol' crap-for-brains has said

On these forums that is a wide field.

O.K., I'm now back from taking a quick look at the Ukraine thread where I see you posted the same message that you just posted here, so I guess that must've been it - what you said now makes a lot more sense with that context, :p.

It's art, a perfect pastiche of an anime villain. And it's made all the better by the off chance it may be genuine and not ironic. Perhaps the greatest copypasta this forum will ever produce.

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Thanks, let me know how it goes - the original TV show is only 13 episodes long, but there's a bit of stuff after that that I figured would discourage you from trying it.

Yeah, not the biggest fan of compilation movies, but hey... they can't be any worse than Nanoha's. Funny how everything doesn't seem so bad when put next to the Nanoha franchise's really, really god damned awful entries.

edit: Guess having a magical girl transformation sequence that burns off the girl's clothes and leaves a smoke/shadow entity that continues on to sexually assault her is hard to beat by anything that's not explicit hentai. The hell. :yes:

24 minutes ago, KP wants Blue Velvet said:

ANOTHER ONE

Heh. Mission accomplished. Beats that pointless 10 page reply to Bruce.

Edited by majestic

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

I make no promises for the anime. I read the manga. :-

1 hour ago, majestic said:

By the way, you really ought to have to me complete a fifteen second investigation as to whether a show is going to be...well, that, before you start it. I mean honestly, a few seconds of looking at user screenshots and it's pretty obvious what kind of content it will have, :p.

@kirottu recommended Angel's Egg and I liked that, I can only assume that his not-exactly-a-recommendation of Made in Abyss has to be okay. Someone besides only @majestic has to be capable of recommending things I like, right?

39 minutes ago, majestic said:

I still remember that one part where the one girl brutally and bloodily bashes a locker room of girls' brains in. No, I don't think I'll watch that.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Just in time... the new season 2 is at episode 4 now

Saving it (new season) for when I'm going to hang out with a friend in Melbourne next month. She wanted us to watch the new season together (the young lady was the one who introduced me to Made in Abyss) 😎

Edit: If you want the tl;dr; version, two compilation movies does an abridged version of season 1 between them. A recent movie Made in Abyss the Movie: Dawn of the Deep Soul bridges the gap between season 1 and the new season 2

Edit2: I don't think nudity etc. is a defining feature of the series, but brutality, cruelty and loss is. Bring paper tissues.

• Gasp! 1

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

1 hour ago, Gorth said:

Just in time... the new season 2 is at episode 4 now

Saving it (new season) for when I'm going to hang out with a friend in Melbourne next month. She wanted us to watch the new season together (the young lady was the one who introduced me to Made in Abyss) 😎

Edit: If you want the tl;dr; version, two compilation movies does an abridged version of season 1 between them. A recent movie Made in Abyss the Movie: Dawn of the Deep Soul bridges the gap between season 1 and the new season 2

Edit2: I don't think nudity etc. is a defining feature of the series, but brutality, cruelty and loss is. Bring paper tissues.

Get her to watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders with you. 48 episodes of OH MY GOD! will create lasting memories.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

By the way, you really ought to have to me complete a fifteen second investigation as to whether a show is going to be...well, that, before you start it. I mean honestly, a few seconds of looking at user screenshots and it's pretty obvious what kind of content it will have, :p.

Like I said, I have no excuse for this one. :p

14 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

@kirottu recommended Angel's Egg and I liked that, I can only assume that his not-exactly-a-recommendation of Made in Abyss has to be okay. Someone besides only @majestic has to be capable of recommending things I like, right?

Watched the first two episodes. The orphanage has a punishment for wrongdoing that consists of being hung naked from the ceiling, and Riko, the main character, is of course an apparently regular victim. Her voice is also really grating, but that's something very subjective.

Somewhat strange exposition dump at the end of the first episode that's basically the Cliff Notes for the book What Happened In This Episode For Dummies. Riko being in an orphanage also necessitates an exposition moment with soft piano music about her missing (presumed dead) mother and her last adventure in the titular Abyss, but to the credit of the series that happens only in the middle of the second episode, not immediately right at the start, and the scene didn't feel emotionally manipulative, it's more like Shinji and Gendo when they talk about his mother (in terms of mood, not in terms of quality).

Other than that, nothing much happened yet, except:

Spoiler

They find a strange boy in the Abyss and pass him off as another orphan. He saves Riko from a weird flying monster, passes out from it. He mechanical arms, so Riko thinks he is a robot, but both Reg - the name the boy gets from Riko - and Riko notice that it is strange for a robot to have an actual belly button and a ****. Riko also makes note that she couldn't find Reg's sphincter. Nope, not making this up. Riko was really thorough when examining the unconscious Reg.

Well, at least we don't get to see any of that, they just talk about it. In their group of children.

Uhm. So... well, at least none of the characters are inherently loathsome. Riko's stuck with a sort of shouneny drive and ambition to outdo her legendary mother.

Not sure, that's about all I can say after two episodes. It's not bad by any means and it looks better than it has any right to, even with the character models being weird. The punishment meted out to unruly orphans makes me question our poster's assessment about the children being tortured for reasons inherent to the world they live in and not just for random cruelty. That's just pointlessly cruel for cruelty's sake - or to animate naked children. Either way is, let's say, a tad weird

Have an animated gif of the scene:

Spoiler

OK6W_koKDTOqqqLDbIoPAvG9EnB1co2m4WVIGd1N

Still not as bad as Nanoha's burnt off clothes-tentacle rape transformation or the girl bashing her bullies' heads into lockers.

Which I'll just link here too, because why not. For everyone who missed it when we talked about it. It's time coded, but feel free to watch all of it! :p

Anyway, still, the first two episodes were okay. Kinda afraid that Riko will end up naked some more. :yes:

Edited by majestic
cruelties -> cruelty's. Imma turning into BruceVC. Their is no justice in this world!
  • Like 1
  • Gasp! 1

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

Completely forgot about the orphanage.

Me too 😂

I mostly remember events from after they meet Nanachi somewhere further down the Abyss 🤔

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

11 minutes ago, Gorth said:

Me too 😂

I mostly remember events from after they meet Nanachi somewhere further down the Abyss 🤔

Yeah, that is where the story really starts I would think.

It must be like with fantasy. You simply gloss over the part where they leave the village.

1 hour ago, Sarex said:

It must be like with fantasy. You simply gloss over the part where they leave the village.

...I'm definitely not thinking of Princess Mononoke and the intro sequence where Ashitaka sacrifices* himself in order to save his little sister before leaving his village being the best part of the film and it all going downhill from there on. Nope, not at all, :p.

Edited by Bartimaeus
love decensoring my posts every time I mention a s h i t a k a
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bartimaeus said:

...I'm definitely not thinking of Princess Mononoke and the intro sequence where Ashitaka sacrifices* himself in order to save his little sister before leaving his village being the best part of the film and it all going downhill from there on. Nope, not at all, :p.

You are right about that it was a generic start done amazingly and I agree that it went downhill to greatness.

• Hmmm 1

Volume 11 of GLEPNIR

Spoiler

Shuichi and Claire, having finally merged, face off against Kaito in an attempt to end Honoko's rampage.  But while Shuichi and Claire are more powerful, they have trouble overcoming Kaito's healing power leading to Claire receiving an injury in their combined form.  She can survive it, but only if she and Shuichi seperate which she refuses to do.  Instead, Claire reveals that she finally went to Alien and got powers herself - the power to slow time.  So she uses it, allowing them to damage Kaito faster than he can heal and keep Claire alive in their combined form long enough to do it.  Much of the school is destroyed, but eventually they are able to kill Kaito.

However, we find out that Honoka lives on, and Elena's group gathers and vows to take Honoka on.

I figured we were setting up for a transition, and that proves to be true.  I don't know if it'll turn out to be a three act story, but it feels like we just finished the first act.

• Like 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

27 minutes ago, Sarex said:

You are right about that it was a generic start done amazingly and I agree that it went downhill to greatness.

Sorry, I didn't hear what you said, I had to go clean up my dog's turds using my Princess Mononoke™ Giant Wolf Pooper Scooper, now what was it that we were talking about again? :deadhorse:

• Gasp! 1