Food Thread - Obsidian Gormand's Edition

ShadySands

https://www.foodnetwork.com/shows/tournament-of-champions

Anyone who loves cooking reality shows and cooking competitions this is the BEST show you will ever watch. These are considered the most highly rated US competitive cooking chefs at the time of each season based on several metrics

Its more exciting than Iron Chef America

Edited by BruceVC

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

• 2 weeks later...

I did the thing.

I made crepes with sausage gravy and eggs. Yes, I paired biscuits and gravy with crepes and it's the bomb.com.

Forgot to mention I did take Gromnir's suggestion of fried sage and my wife commented on how that was a nice touch.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 4

Free games updated 3/4/21

33 minutes ago, ShadySands said:

I did the thing.

I made crepes with sausage gravy and eggs. Yes, I paired biscuits and gravy with crepes and it's the bomb.com.

Forgot to mention I did take Gromnir's suggestion of fried sage and my wife commented on how that was a nice touch.

Redneck chique.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I made a chicken, bacon, onion, and tomato pizza.

N2zzmoE.jpeg

fkqGWW1.jpeg

Pairs well with a michelada. Everything pairs well with a michelada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

Jacques Pépin, at 86, finds a new way to express his love — of chicken

This season, he is promoting “Jacques Pépin Art of the Chicken” on television, at talks and book fairs. “I’m very old. I’m going to be 97 in 10 years,” he says.

am not gonna be purchasing the book, but for some reason am relieved to hear he is still alive and cooking wonderful pantry staple fare.

his favorite ingredient is the egg, so we already lost shady.

video included with story. am admitting we always chuckled at the chemistry 'tween julia and jacques... but is amazing how much julia snark he had to indulge.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Ordered in a pork banh mi and some rolls. If it wasn't substantially more expensive than cooking, this would be a weekly meal for me.

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

I made a chicken, bacon, onion, and tomato pizza.

N2zzmoE.jpeg

fkqGWW1.jpeg

Pairs well with a michelada. Everything pairs well with a michelada.

I don't normally drink beer, but I would almost take a michelada over a margarita when I have tacos. 

• Thanks 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

Our local Asian restaurant joined the Too Good To Go service. Me, being the miser that I am, immediately tried it out:

zgnbE18.jpg

So, that's a whole lot of maki (regular and California with avocado, salmon and tuna), fried shrimp and calmari, Korean sticky chicken with noodles, fried chicken wings with rice, a box of potato wedges, some salad and a whole bunch of fried fruit with honey for 9.98€.

The only downside is that the pickup time is from 14:50 to 15:00 each day (their lunch break, they close until 17:00), so this will only be viable for working from home days. Well, and you really need to be completely free of that useless feeling of, ah, dignity to go and grab leftovers, because while the app is trying to sell people on saving otherwise wasted food, let's face the facts here, this is takeout for people who are happy with whatever they get for really cheap. :p 

edit: With the perspective offering no real insight regarding the size of the boxes, that's two full layers of maki in the box, not just the visible one on top.

Edited by majestic
  • Like 3

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

6 minutes ago, majestic said:

Our local Asian restaurant joined the Too Good To Go service. Me, being the miser that I am, immediately tried it out:

zgnbE18.jpg

So, that's a whole lot of maki (regular and California with avocado, salmon and tuna), fried shrimp and calmari, Korean sticky chicken with noodles, fried chicken wings with rice, a box of potatoes wedge, some salad and a whole bunch of fried fruit with honey for 9.98€.

The only downside is that the pickup time is from 14:50 to 15:00 each day (their lunch break, they close until 17:00), so this will only be viable for working from home days. Well, and you really need to be completely free of that useless feeling of, ah, dignity to go and grab leftovers, because while the app is trying to sell people on saving otherwise wasted food, let's face the facts here, this is takeout for people who are happy with whatever they get for really cheap. :p 

Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate, I was dirt poor and well versed in the cheapskate arts for many years. Even now, when I make decent money and have no pressing need to cheap out I still sometimes employ the cheapskate skills I learned years ago. I might be a bit worried about leftover sushi. How leftover are we talking here? How long was that sitting out? I suppose it's no older than the stuff you can get at the supermarket and higher quality too.

• Like 1

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

3 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

I might be a bit worried about leftover sushi. How leftover are we talking here? How long was that sitting out? I suppose it's no older than the stuff you can get at the supermarket and higher quality too.

It's made fresh for the lunch buffet, so even if nobody ate any of it, it's no older than three hours, but I've been to the place every now and then, and they're always hard at work making more, so it's less. Certainly fresher than anything you get from a supermarket. Health regulations and inspections being what they are, Asian joints can't really afford to poison their customers at the moment. Particularily not after that little hooplah a while back where a whole bunch of illegal gyoza/jiaozi/mandu factories were raided by the police.

10 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

Nothing wrong with being a cheapskate, I was dirt poor and well versed in the cheapskate arts for many years. Even now, when I make decent money and have no pressing need to cheap out I still sometimes employ the cheapskate skills I learned years ago.

I don't think we ever really qualified as dirt poor, but we were a single income, blue collar family of four for a long time. Some things keep sticking around.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, majestic said:

I don't think we ever really qualified as dirt poor, but we were a single income, blue collar family of four for a long time. Some things keep sticking around.

am not sure if being "dirt poor" is essential. if you are able to save money and get a decent product, then am not seeing cause for loss o' dignity, but keep in mind that growing up we did indeed qualify as dirt poor and there were a particular bad winter when for almost a month-and-a-half our family subsisted on nothing save bone and ketchup soup and jiffy pop... and the soup were getting mighty thin after the first month.  

when preparing food for guests, we don't go cheap. additional, we don't mind spending premium to enjoy good ingredients and quality food, 'cause what is the point o' having more money than when we were dirt poor if we refuse to ever spend the money? converse, if am able to acquire quality fare on the cheap, am gonna take that option. why spend more? am also seeing added benefit o' preventing food from going to waste while potential helping out a local vendor during tough times by purchasing what woulda' previous been an unsellable product. everybody wins? where is the downside?

am also gonna note that a few o' our favorite restaurants and meals is hardly the kinda thing you would expect at a michelin 3*, but so what? we eat meatloaf (and simillar) 'cause we like it and not so much 'cause am trying to save a buck. 

the food in your post looks fine. as long as the fare also tastes fine and is safe, then am saying, #@$% dignity... but Gromnir might not be the benchmark for dignity seeing as we has been posting gromspeak for better than two decades.  heck, the vehicle we got most daily use outta for same decades has been a 97 chrysler t&c minivan, 'cause it were the best auto for our dogs. taupe. we drove a taupe pre 2000 minivan for decades? our sense o' dignity/vanity is questionable. 

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Pizza Margherita

ZGoA87f.jpeg

This might be the best pizza I've ever made, it came out perfect.

Wsrq8CN.jpeg

I even went all out and did the salt-rimmed glass for the michelada.

• Like 2

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

huh.

haven't tried, but this looks kinda brilliant if it works and am having little reason to doubt atk. would love to be able to cook a steak in a non-stick pan. sure, we got the infrared broiler on our viking, but am genuine curious 'bout the cold sear and am especially looking forward to testing with salmon. probable would be applicable to thick burgers. 

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I know a cook who makes his steaks like that (the same one that keeps giving everyone ketchup as a condiment to his steaks). He has been doing that for a while and has ever since larger steaks on offer. Prior to that he usually only had tenderloin or similar that was cut a lot less thick than regular steaks and got a really quick high heat sear on both sides, then straight to letting it rest and serving. It is not what one would expect when ordering a steak in the traditional sense, but it keeps the meat juicy and infuses it with a good deal of flavor, although one really needs to like their beef bleu.

Downsides are of course the cuts are terribly expensive, and... it is tenderloin, at the end of the day, and not everyone likes them bleu (I do, so sue me :p). A decent tomahawk/rib eye will come with a more beefy flavor and a vastly different dining experience, although admittedly I am not one to dismiss decent fillets as a matter of course like plenty of other purists.

Right, where was I going with this, yeah, works fine, and produces good steaks quickly, which is the biggest downside of the traditional method of high heat searing and putting it in the oven (time constraints easily being the biggest hurdle for small restaurants). Not sure how well that works for salmon or pork chops, but it really does make for a great rib eye steak. :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, ShadySands said:

Crepes, sausage gravy, bacon, and eggs

sounds as if you got a new weekend (sunday through saturday kinda weekend) breakfast staple.

HA! Good Fun!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.izakayamatsuri.com/

We went to this brilliant, authentic Japanese sushi restaurant last night called Izakaya Matsuri , do you know it takes 10-30 years in Japan to master the techniques of sushi making!!! Imagine spending 30 years learning how to perfect something, that takes serious commitment and belief in what you doing 

https://chefzoeescher.com/how-long-does-it-take-to-become-a-sushi-chef-in-japan/

I love Sushi, its always so different and I love the variety of different tastes. And its lower in fat than meat and good for you when you dieting, I had deep fried pork dumplings for a starter and Rainbow roll for my main and my sister and stepmom gave me  several  pieces of there sushi and crab starters. I love eating with women, they seem to feel guilty about eating there whole meal and I  always seem to score :dancing:

• Like 1

"Abashed the devil stood and felt how awful goodness is and saw Virtue in her shape how lovely: and pined his loss”

John Milton 

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” -  George Bernard Shaw

"What counts in life is not the mere fact that we have lived. It is what difference we have made to the lives of others that will determine the significance of the life we lead" - Nelson Mandela

6 minutes ago, Keyrock said:

One of my go to keto foods, the breadless BLT:

DtOyaWD.jpeg

I honestly don't miss the bread.

I guess that's one way to cut carbs. But while I can drop the bread, I need mustard on my blts.

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"you're a damned filthy lying robot and you deserve to die and burn in hell." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"I love cheese despite the pain and carnage." - ShadySands

5 minutes ago, Gfted1 said:

I cant tell, is there mayo in there somewhere?

Yes, it's on the romaine lettuce under the tomatoes which are under the bacon. It really doesn't matter, but I like the mayo to be touching the tomatoes, for some reason.

Edit: @KP From Another WorldI've never put mustard on a BLT. I'm not knocking it, plus I generally like mustard on a lot of things, but... Hmmm🤔

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

7 hours ago, Keyrock said:

One of my go to keto foods, the breadless BLT:

DtOyaWD.jpeg

I honestly don't miss the bread.

Good on you, less bread is less carbs. Its healthier 🥂

John Milton 

Monday I made my wife lamb chops with veggies and rice for dinner and Tuesday I made carne asada tacos for the family. Today for lunch I made some Korean instant noodles with some left over shredded beef and green onions. Dinner has not yet revealed itself to me.

• Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

• 2 weeks later...

Unhealthy takeout day at work:

WdZ1xup.png

Productivity projection after consumption: uncertain, but tending towards zero.

Needless to say, I sorta feel, uhm, sick. Just in case anyone's wondering what the item on the right side really is, that's deep fried chicken with bacon on top of a massive amount of cheese fries. Not sure why that is under 'sides' on the menu, but... I feel like I'm going to explode. In more ways than one. :p :x 

Spoiler

More than half of the cheese fries is left. Guess I know what's for dinner. Heh.

Edited by majestic
  • Thanks 1
  • Gasp! 1