Anime and Manga - ゴゴゴゴ

PK htiw klaw eriF

Not sure which is more heinous, KP.

Spoiler

Okay, fine, Pegasus is still worse.

47 minutes ago, majestic said:

Why are we trying to contain climate change again?

I imagine the client scientists ask themselves the same thing pretty frequently.

• Haha 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I always thought that Pegasus was an alternate reality amalgamation of Pink and Blue from Charlie the Unicorn. Like the Eldritch Horror entity they show themselves to be in the third episode.

Alternatively he's Mr. Weebl's Amazing Horse.

No mind to think. No will to break. No voice to cry suffering.

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

b28328b41eb01e2c3948efbbfe8da12dd0485a6a

Do I win?

With that weak pose game? No.

628.png

14 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Not sure which is more heinous, KP.

I'm only one episode in, but so far he's managed to drain the savings of a mid-20s office worker. When you factor in that it's on a mass scale, he has probably done more damage than Pegasus overall.

But Pedosus easily sweeps the creep contest.

• Like 2
  • Hmmm 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"Just feed off the suffering of gamers." - Malcador

"You are calling my taste crap." -Hurlshort

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Don't forget the wakame, dumbass" -Keyrock

"Are you trolling or just being inadvertently nonsensical?' -Pidesco

"we have already been forced to admit you are at least human" - uuuhhii

"I refuse to buy from non-woke businesses" - HoonDing

"feral camels are now considered a pest" - Gorth

"Melkathi is known to be an overly critical grumpy person" - Melkathi

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

40 minutes ago, majestic said:

Mr. Weebl

Gee, haven't thought about him in like ten years. Boy, the meta on making silly YouTube videos has changed a lot since his heyday.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

First two episodes of Princess Tutu. What in the world is this show? I thought the second episode would be less weird than the first, but no, it's more. The main character's two friends are basically Tomoyo-fied verisons of the shadow puppet girls from Utena, there's a giant creepy anteater girl licking boys' faces, the ballet is...uh really something, the dollmaster and whatever the hell he's doing is really weird and feels kind of unnecessary, we got a cat teacher that insists they must all marry him every time they mess up...I just don't really know what to make of it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

First two episodes of Princess Tutu. What in the world is this show? [...] I just don't really know what to make of it.

Essentially my feelings on the entire anime. It sure is... something. :) 

What do you think of Ahiru's voice acting? Well, her voice actor's voice acting, but eh...

• Like 1

14 hours ago, majestic said:

Yeah, these my dad can beat up your dad discussions are pretty pointless, and they're not getting any more interesting when comparing magical girls, or starships, or... speaking of starships, there are videos on YouTube where people calculate the potential power output of Star Wars starships and compare them to Federation ones in order to find out if the Enterprise would win against the Executor in a fight.

Why are we trying to contain climate change again?

*has flashbacks to USENET and the "Who would win, Goku from DBZ or Silver-Age Superman" fights*

:skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull::skull:

(besides, the obvious winner between Star Wars and Star Trek ships is obviously some third universe where they can create an electrical panel that doesn't explode when there is a power surge and can develop a ship without needing a vent that allows a straight shot to a ship's reactor).

• Haha 1

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

7 hours ago, majestic said:

Essentially my feelings on the entire anime. It sure is... something. :) 

What do you think of Ahiru's voice acting? Well, her voice actor's voice acting, but eh...

Her voice is very strange...and kind of scratchy, which isn't something I hear in Japanese voice-acting a lot. I didn't much like it at first (in fact, it made me try out the English dub where I initially thought "hm, maybe I actually prefer the English this time"...until I heard the other characters that were not Ahiru, and went "nope"), but I was getting used to it by the end of the second episode.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Her voice is very strange...and kind of scratchy, which isn't something I hear in Japanese voice-acting a lot. I didn't much like it at first (in fact, it made me try out the English dub where I initially thought "hm, maybe I actually prefer the English this time"...until I heard the other characters that were not Ahiru, and went "nope"), but I was getting used to it by the end of the second episode.

I was asking because my initial thoughts on her voice were something like: "Oh boy, a nails on chalkboard main character for 26 episodes, what joy."

By the end of the anime I thought Nanae Katō did an outstanding job. Actually, from what I've read, Ikuko Itō wanted her and no one else for the job, and I understand why. She absolutely nails the character in a way that one doesn't see - uhm, hear - all too often. The scratchiness remains, but hey... Ahiru is a duck, after all. Other than that, I have no idea what to make of the series as a whole, like you mentioned the ballet teacher is really weird.

The moralizing antopomorphic animal stuff gets a bit of a cut down the line. At first I thought the series is going to have more of that, a concept to explore every episode, like in the case of Anteaterina accepting herself the way she is. I mean, in a way, there is a slight possibility that it references... (spoilers, sort of)

Spoiler

Post-modern storytelling and its focus on sad or unhappy endings, but Princess Tutu came out in 2002 and things weren't as edgelordy and gritty as they are nowadays, so it does seem a bit early for that, or else this just has gotten more applicability in time. There are themes of accepting yourself the way you are, as pretty much every character tries to be someone who they are not to no avail, but even that I'm not sure was really a focus. 

Drosselmeyer is pushing hard for a tragic edgelord ending that's pretty common these days. However, plenty of fairy tales and ballets do have tragic endings, so perhaps it's just that is a commentary on that, just all the more applicable nowdays.

edit:

I also really liked the atmosphere and the looks of the anime. The pastel colors, the character designs, pretty much everything. It's just really... hard to explain what it was about or why I liked it. In that particular way it's one of the most baffling things I've seen. I mean sure, much of the things it is based on are stories I grew up with, and every time something foreign (not meant negatively) has a take on it it's really strange for me.

The SuperS film also barely worked for me mostly because it's too much of a fairy tale. Princess Tutu was something else too, but yeah, maybe the actual point really was telling a story? Beats me. I don't regret watching it though. :) 

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

With that weak pose game? No.

Well, you said style. Don't shift goal posts to posing here. :p

5b855d9c2f6887755a6531ce6f31f87d68e56937
How can you beat him? You can't!

Awesome hairdo, 80ies shoulder pads, leather, well defined abs and a cape. Seriously. He's like an anime Gene Simmons. :p

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, majestic said:

Well, you said style. Don't shift goal posts to posing here. :p

Are you implying that posing isn't part of style? NANI!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

1 hour ago, majestic said:

How can you beat him? You can't!

Awesome hairdo, 80ies shoulder pads, leather, well defined abs and a cape. Seriously.

You just described DIO.

1f7df6ec35cf8e741b7eb43bb47988a9.jpg

Whose poses are iconic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"Akiva Goldsman and Alex Kurtzman run the 21st century version of MK ULTRA." - majestic

"I'm gonna hunt you down so that I can slap you square in the mouth." - Bartimaeus

"Without individual thinking you can't notice the plot holes." - InsaneCommander

"thankfully it seems like the creators like Hungary less this time around." - Sarex

"Oddly enough Sanderson was a lot more direct despite being a Mormon" - Zoraptor

"I found it greatly disturbing to scroll through my cartoon's halfing selection of genitalias." - Wormerine

"Am I phrasing in the most negative light for them? Yes, but it's not untrue." - ShadySands

13 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

Are you implying that posing isn't part of style? NANI!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

2xv7ZdF.jpg

13 minutes ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

You just described DIO.

Yeah, pretty much. Heh. :p

Pisardo's mullet is more epic though. Not too sure about the name.

How about the Love Live! KISS cosplay picture I posted a while back?

NJ0ZLcH.jpg

Also, word of caution, don't ever do a google image search for Love Live! KISS. I mean, it does get you that picture, but a whole lot of other stuff you don't want to see.

Yeah, I got nothing else, I guess.

MD Geist perhaps... can't go wrong with the classic action hero look.

xNcHF6M.gif

:p

Edited by majestic
  • Hmmm 2

1 minute ago, majestic said:

can't go wrong with the classic action hero look

mpc-hc64_NvRwzAD12l.png

• Haha 1

On 1/31/2022 at 1:14 AM, Bartimaeus said:

Gee, haven't thought about him in like ten years. Boy, the meta on making silly YouTube videos has changed a lot since his heyday.

It's strange to see Mr Weebl associated with any old YouTube meta in the first place, at the risk of sounding kind of old and... like, ancient, he predated the platform, much like Joel Veitch. Although that was a long, long time ago.

Not that I disagree with your assessment, far from it. On average, the animation and production quality required is far higher these days, even for semi-older stuff like Charlie the Unicorn or the totally disturbing Salad Fingers series.

I mean, yeah, compare...

Pretty old.

Newer!

Although Salad Fingers also goes back like one and a half decades or so. Yikes. I AM getting old, aren't I? :(

Edited by majestic

23 minutes ago, majestic said:

Pisardo's mullet is more epic though

DIO's mullet is deadly. Flesh buds are no joke.

24 minutes ago, majestic said:

How about the Love Live! KISS cosplay picture I posted a while back?

f4b.jpg

35 minutes ago, majestic said:

Also, word of caution, don't ever do a google image search for Love Live! KISS

I did. I will never watch that show.

9 minutes ago, InsaneCommander said:

Attack on Titan ep 7?

Great, we are now in the middle of a sequence of filler episodes, right? interesting stuff, but I really want to see the war.:shrugz:

No! And here we just had the royal yell and Ymir.

• Confused 1
  • Hmmm 1

37 minutes ago, majestic said:

It's strange to see Mr Weebl associated with any old YouTube meta in the first place, at the risk of sounding kind of old and... like, ancient, he predated the platform, much like Joel Veitch. Although that was a long, long time ago.

Wow, man...you're like, so old and ancient for knowing that! :ban:

I didn't follow Mr. Weebl for very long - while he had some decent animated stuff for the time, it turns out that his precise style of humor was not exactly to my taste...who would've guessed?

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Hmmm 1

8 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

I didn't follow Mr. Weebl for very long - while he had some decent animated stuff for the time, it turns out that his precise style of humor was not exactly to my taste...who would've guessed?

I was kind of surprised you knew him or rather his work at all. Doesn’t seem like something you’d enjoy. Admittedly the only thing of his I really liked was „I’ve seen things“ but that’s me and liking totally absurd things. :) 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, majestic said:

I was kind of surprised you knew him or rather his work at all. Doesn’t seem like something you’d enjoy. Admittedly the only thing of his I really liked was „I’ve seen things“ but that’s me and liking totally absurd things. :) 

Lmao, that's...very coincidentally the thing I remember him most by. I have, on and off throughout the past decade, sung part of it in my head at random times. Kuala Lumpar, pygmies, budgies, Kuala Lumpar!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

Lmao, that's...very coincidentally the thing I remember him most by. I have, on and off throughout the past decade, sung part of it in my head at random times. Kuala Lumpar, pygmies, budgies, Kuala Lumpar!

I'm somewhat liable to randomly blurt out carrots, handbags, cheese every now and then. Dunno what it is, but that silly bit of nonsense got really stuck in my head.

11 hours ago, Bartimaeus said:

I, uhm, randomly add disclaimers every now and then and stuff because well you can guess why I suppose...

Spoiler

Partially that's due to my memory being what it is. To give you an example, not that long ago I was talking to a department head at work who wanted to know more about a service code we've set up for a customer, and she asked me if I knew why that service code was there, and I said that was a special request for <customer> and searched for the e-mail they've sent us - that was for something requested before she took over that department.

That setup was back in 2015, it took me all of half a minute to find the customer request, although that one was more luck than anything else, searching Outlook 365 for mails isn't the most reliable feature once you get past a certain mailbox size, and I have like 100k mails in there.

The thing is, there's barely any difference in my time perception between say 2015 and now. Or 2002, for that matter. It often ends with others being confused about timeframes ("Yeah that was something we changed recently... like 8 years ago") so I sort of per-default add stupid disclaimers like that and like... *makes up more excuses*

😮

11 hours ago, KP the Torque Dork said:

I did. I will never watch that show.

Was that ever an option? I thought I laid out that it's not a good watch in a very, uhm, "concise" manner by complaining about each and every episode. :p

Edited by majestic
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, majestic said:

Was that ever an option?

Not realistically, but what I saw made very sure to squash the unrealistic chances.

• Like 1

Studio Ghibli's Iblard Jikan (2007). It's a 30 minute "OVA" of art, I guess...and not much else, because there's no dialogue or really even much of an attempt at visual storytelling here. The most I can say is that I'm pretty sure I saw some stuff in there that was inspired by the fantasy visuals of Whisper of the Heart, or the other way around depending on when the painting these animations were based off were made.

Apocalypse of Devilman (2000). The third and final part of the original Devilman OVA series. It's kind of crazy how much Devilman Crybaby took from these OVAs - it's not quite a 1:1 recreation, but...it's probably like 75% the same plot, and a number of scenes in Devilman Crybaby are obviously direct recreations of scenes in these OVAs. Anyways, just like the first two, it was O.K. - it starts with the part where Asuka gets on TV to basically set off mass hysteria and Miki loses her head, and things get much worse from there.

Dragon's Heaven (1988). A sentient giant mech is left behind as a relic of a thousand year old war...and is reawoken by some lady passing by, and suddenly there's a lot of fighting, I guess? It's also only like half an hour long. Some similarities to Birth (which I mentioned trying to watch a while back) and Nausicaa, but it's not as bad as Birth was but also not nearly as good as Nausicaa either, so...

Not the best day of anime, but hey, getting stuff out of the way is good.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bartimaeus said:

Apocalypse of Devilman (2000). The third and final part of the original Devilman OVA series. It's kind of crazy how much Devilman Crybaby took from these OVAs - it's not quite a 1:1 recreation, but...it's probably like 75% the same plot, and a number of scenes in Devilman Crybaby are obviously direct recreations of scenes in these OVAs. Anyways, just like the first two, it was O.K. - it starts with the part where Asuka gets on TV to basically set off mass hysteria and Miki loses her head, and things get much worse from there.

"OK" sounds like a massive improvement over the Devilman Crybaby anime which I thought was fine until it fell apart, how's the ending of the OVA? I think I read somewhere that the Devilman Crybaby ending is much close to the manga ending than the adaptations made before.

14 minutes ago, majestic said:

"OK" sounds like a massive improvement over the Devilman Crybaby anime which I thought was fine until it fell apart, how's the ending of the OVA? I think I read somewhere that the Devilman Crybaby ending is much close to the manga ending than the adaptations made before.

Hm. Akira basically loses his mind after finding that the hysterical demon-hunters beheaded Miki and makes the transformation to full Amon and starts indiscriminately slaughtering demons and humans alike. He devours one of his best friends while in this state, a like ten-year-old girl that was a fellow devilman that he had been working with to hunt demons, which was honestly kind of horrifying and I had to look away. There was some sort of semi-Frieza knockoff that was the "big bad" of the demons that got dispatched fairly quickly, and...then it kind of just ended after Akira finally got to Asuka? Akira had finally regained control from Amon, and they had a stare-off for a moment, and then Akira just walked past him, the end - it didn't feel very resolved. IMO, Devilman Crybaby probably has a better plot and did better in slowing everything down and trying to flesh out as well as resolve things better, but there's so many stylistic things I dislike about Crybaby that it was still very difficult for me to enjoy, which is why these OVAs are "okay" while Devilman Crybaby was a bit less than "okay" to me.

P.S. I added one more thing to the previous post, but it hardly matters.

Edited by Bartimaeus
  • Like 1