Hey guys...

I've only finished this game one.. with SC and the other with MC. My MC experience was... ok from the gameplay point of view (more stuff to press) however, I felt the game was very very easy. So yes you get skills and level up slower.. however, when you get the skills you break the game.

So my question is.. Do the MC make the game easier? What do you think?

Not necessarily, in my experience. MC builds can be very effective, particularly in the early game, when twice the resources can really make a difference. However, SC gets the more powerful higher tier abilities faster, and have exclusive access to the highest tier abilities, some of which, for some classes (druid, monk, priest, wizard) are really incredible. Some other classes have relatively lackluster tier 8 & 9 abilities, such that it is advantageous to use them in MC builds mainly. In my experience, the game just gets easier the more you play it, regardless of the selections you make for your party.

I also think MC has a lot more variance in power level. It’s hard to do a bad SC, but I think you could easily build an MC that is a bit confused or suboptimal. But you could also come upon a really synergistic MC that blows the socks off a typical SC.

what difficulty did you play on?

Hey again!

So I was playing the first island 🏝 with full multi classes team in (PoTD) and then a second round with single classes and oh boy… the first round with MC it was so easy! I had to check I was playing in PoTD However with SC it was haaaaard, and I love it I had to think what to do when etc.

I am not sure 🤔 if it changes later and playing with MC will be make the fights harder than going with SC but at the moment it was my impression in the first 🏝 

Yes, Multiclasses are front loaded. They get two resource pools and they get twice the signature abilities right away. The Single Class cannot play out its advantages in the early game (faster ability progression, higher power level, access to highest tier abilities). Those will only have a noticable impact after several levels.

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

12 hours ago, Boeroer said:

Yes, Multiclasses are front loaded. They get two resource pools and they get twice the signature abilities right away. The Single Class cannot play out its advantages in the early game (faster ability progression, higher power level, access to highest tier abilities). Those will only have a noticable impact after several levels.

So.. at high level is there a big difference between going MC or SC in terms to make game easier? To be honest I would like to feel I’m cheating because I’m with MC when I can get the good things from two classes or as SC when my power level is going to make me feel like god.

Is there a big difference in terms difficulty going MC or SC? 

The good single classes are about 10x stronger than any multiclass you can make with that class in it (ok maybe slight overexaggeration on the 10x but not that far from the truth :P), those classes being wizard, monk and rogue.

(this is for solo btw, these classes shine even MORE in a party)

That being said there are some classes which perform exceptionally well as multiclass and not really that much better or even worse as single class, the most prominent one being probably priest.

(once again this is for solo, in a party I'd NEVER multiclass a priest)

As everyone else mentioned here before Multiclasses shine early, but especially in a party fall off very fast, I'd say at around level 13-15 when you get your pl 7-8 abilities on a SC.

Big exceptions are the classes that don't get anything massive after PL 7, the priest gets their strongest tool even at pl 6.

(In a party it's still super benificial to go SC, due to slower xp gain)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Raven Darkholme said:

The good single classes are about 10x stronger than any multiclass you can make with that class in it (ok maybe slight overexaggeration on the 10x but not that far from the truth :P), those classes being wizard, monk and rogue.

(this is for solo btw, these classes shine even MORE in a party)

That being said there are some classes which perform exceptionally well as multiclass and not really that much better or even worse as single class, the most prominent one being probably priest.

(once again this is for solo, in a party I'd NEVER multiclass a priest)

As everyone else mentioned here before Multiclasses shine early, but especially in a party fall off very fast, I'd say at around level 13-15 when you get your pl 7-8 abilities on a SC.

Big exceptions are the classes that don't get anything massive after PL 7, the priest gets their strongest tool even at pl 6.

(In a party it's still super benificial to go SC, due to slower xp gain)

I can see! It was very useful! I’m thinking to go in a party of five! So following your feedback I am going to try multi classes then I would like to enjoy the game = not feel I’m cheating with God mode on (sc)

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Andres Arigon said:

I can see! It was very useful! I’m thinking to go in a party of five! So following your feedback I am going to try multi classes then I would like to enjoy the game = not feel I’m cheating with God mode on (sc)

When I think of the hardest fights in SSS and FS + the megabosses on Upscaled PotD, I don't think that an optimized party of the best SC classes feels "cheaty god mode" - as long as you don't (ab)use certain mechanics beyond their intended use. Which is also very fun to do :) but another topic IMO, and mostly relevant for solo. Also if you play with the full BPM complement (including nerfs), most of those OP tricks will be disabled (strand of favor, OP barring death door, OP salvation of time, OP wall of draining, OP unbending, OP blood sacrifice, OP brilliant...).

• Like 2

A good and synergistic party composition is much more impactful than individual decisions about MC or SC. 

There are great MCs and there are great SCs. Some classes receive really good (and fun) abilities as SC later on (it might also depend on the party composition whether a high level ability is very useful or not) - while some classes don't, but they get better stuff in the early and/or mid levels. The latter classes usually are better MC material, but even that is just a rule of thumb.

And then also never forget your preferences. If you for example like Paladins and have most fun imagining yourself to be a pure hearted Paladin in this game then by all means play a pure hearted Kind Wayfarer Paladin. The classes and abilities are balanced well enough and you won't step into severe traps when building up your char. Also there's always the option of retraining (not race/class/arributes, but the rest). 

Edited by Boeroer
  • Like 4

Deadfire Community Patch: Nexus Mods

1 hour ago, Andres Arigon said:

I wouldn't call it cheating to use SC, there are MANY other things that come very close to actual cheating as @Not So Clever Hound pointed out.

Also as @Boeroer pointed out, at the end of the day it is all about finding a party composition you find strong and enjoyable at the same time, but personally I find this especially fun with single classes, but once again certain multiclasses will work very well throughout the entire game.

At the end of the day this is the kind of game where, if you enjoy it in your first playthru, the likelihood for rerolling to try out an idea you may have gotten, is very high.

• Like 2

On 1/11/2022 at 7:10 AM, Andres Arigon said:

So I was playing the first island 🏝 with full multi classes team in (PoTD) and then a second round with single classes and oh boy… the first round with MC it was so easy! I had to check I was playing in PoTD However with SC it was haaaaard, and I love it I had to think what to do when etc.

you don't have to do an all-MC or all-SC party, you can mix and match. just saying.

that being said, I would not read too much into your experience on the first island; on the first island with PotD the battles are extremely hard and a bit overtuned... but in a way where certain builds can absolutely stomp or suffer and it doesn't reflect accurately for the rest of the game, where everyone gets more options and your gear becomes better.

for example, an SC druid with charm beasts/hold beasts pretty much wrecks the digsite but that's more an accident of how the encounters in that area are designed and not truly representative of their typical power level (at least until you get greater maelstrom). Similarly, a debonaire will absolutely wreck gorecci st with their charm ability, but that's also not representative of their typical power level.

• Like 4